Cairns young women?

Options

Comments

• mummyrach
    mummyrach Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Janina,

How are you going? I was diagnosed in Oct 2012 at 37. Dr Green did my surgery and I had chemo at the Liz Plummer Centre, my oncologist is Dr Islam. They do a fantastic job, I was completely happy. I finished chemo in March last year and now on Tamoxifen.
    Hope your doing well. X
  • janinaj
    janinaj Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mummyrach,

thanks so much for replying, I have heard such great things about Dr Islam.  I think he has left now?Unfortunately?

I am seeing Dr Gupta and so far he has been quite good with letting me set the pace, make the decisions and supporting what I have wanted to do (e.g. Getting a port).  So I'm happy.  I'm very nervous about chemo but now that I have been into the centre for my zoladrx injections and I have met the chemo nurses and have got a feel for the place I'm feeling so much more comfortable.  I'm at the start of the road, 4mths AC&T, then 5weeks rads and then 5yrs tamoxifen.  Can't wait to be where you are!  Which chemo did you have and how did yout find it?  I have chemo ed tomorrow, so will know so much more affter then I think :-)

best,

Janina

• janinaj
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Samantha,

im so sorry to hear they misdiagnosed you!  That's terrible news.... or is it?  Is it misdiagnoses of th good kind or the very bad kind?  I hope your ok.

i hear Dr Pandey sis great.  I am seyeing Dr Gupta,he is the "new dr" so everyone keeps saying but I've found him to be very good so far.  

I start chemo on Monday.  Are you still going in to Liz Plummer Ctr

sorry for the later reply, Christmas took me by surprise in the middle of my cancer crises Heheh.

Best,

Janina

• janinaj
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Diana :-)

• mummyrach
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi,

Oh I didnt realised islam had left, i saw him last in Oct and wont see him or whoever else for another 6 months.

I finished chemo last March, I did 6 rounds of FEC-D and no rads and 5 years of Tamoxifen, there was talk that its now recommeneded for 10 years!! Aaaaargh! Ive also had my expander to implant surgery in May.

Everyone reacts so differently to chemo and the different types of drugs they give you. To be perfectly honest my first was horrid, the nausea was the worst. But every chemo got a little better. Then when I had D it was different symptoms all together, mainly sore achey bones and muscles. Just make sure you talk the medication they give you after, and if its not working let them know. The nurses are just lovely and really look after you.

Everytime i had chemo I took a water bottle, magazine, ipad and a few snacks. do you have family and friends in Cairns? Please let me know if you'd like to meet up for a chat or if you'd some company when you have chemo. x

• mummyrach
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi,

Oh I didnt realised islam had left, i saw him last in Oct and wont see him or whoever else for another 6 months.

I finished chemo last March, I did 6 rounds of FEC-D and no rads and 5 years of Tamoxifen, there was talk that its now recommeneded for 10 years!! Aaaaargh! Ive also had my expander to implant surgery in May.

Everyone reacts so differently to chemo and the different types of drugs they give you. To be perfectly honest my first was horrid, the nausea was the worst. But every chemo got a little better. Then when I had D it was different symptoms all together, mainly sore achey bones and muscles. Just make sure you talk the medication they give you after, and if its not working let them know. The nurses are just lovely and really look after you.

Everytime i had chemo I took a water bottle, magazine, ipad and a few snacks. do you have family and friends in Cairns? Please let me know if you'd like to meet up for a chat or if you'd some company when you have chemo. x

• janinaj
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Kylie,

Thanks for letting me know how your going and what a ride hey. I'm hoping that your second cycle is treating you ok so far. I probably passed you at some point at the LPCC on Tuesday, I had a big day there. FEC is a rough one I hear so I hope that the first day is getting better for you. Just think... Two down, only one to go! And I hear that D is a walk in the park after FEC. I hope it is for you.

I chose AC&T over the FECD. Both gave me the same survival rate stats so we will see how we go with it. As they say, everyone reacts differently, I'm hoping to be one of the smooth sailers.....fingers crossed!

Your message about those wonder fresh juices has made me thirsty. At the moment, I'm surviving on spinach, kale, mango, pineapple and banana smoothies. I love them. I also have a particular love of apple+carrot+Ginger juices. There is nothing better. With some ice thrown in....,mmmmmmm perfect for this heat wave we are having, bring on the wet already!!!

I'm a homebody too, which is surprising for a saggitarian but perfect for my partner who is the quintessential cancerian and funnily enough, will hopefully bode well for being stuck at home as a result of treatment. We will see how we go. Taking each day as it comes.... Yes... So so true!

I'm having a port put in tomorrow because I will be having 4 cycles of three weeks of AC and then 12 weekly cycles of D and I'm petrified of needles. That coupled with only having one good arm left with some semi nice veins sealed the deal for me. So... I'm forward surgery under a general and out tomorrow night before chemo on Monday. Might see you there sometime :-)

Take care,

Best,
    Janina
  • janinaj
    edited March 2015
    Options
    P.s. I as the same as you re wanting to see the tumour. I just wanted to see it with my own eyes and know that it was out of me. But Dr Elston shook his head at me with that comical expression on his face that said I can see why you want to but that is just not possible.... Heheh. He said... Mmmmmmm no, you can't see it, it's been sent to pathology. Heheh.
  • janinaj
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks mummyrafch,

That would be nice. Thankfully my best friend is flying in from Bris to be with me for this chemo. She is a godsend. I was petrified of the idea of going it without her. So I'm ok for now, but will definitely look you up if things go ok :-)

Great advice re reading and viewing material. I'm treating it like a 6hr flight. Must have my chewing gum, water, magazines, movies and tv shows ready to go for that seat heheh.

Thanks,
    Jx
  • Samantha Wills
    Samantha Wills Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Janina,

The misdiagnosis could have been terrible as i had a 75% chance of the cancer being back but after every test possible and a couple of surgeries just to be sure, I was lucky that it had not returned.  So Pandey had me go through the Herceptin - piece of cake after Chemo! and I am now on Tamioxfen for 10 years.  Hope you are doing ok.

• Sue in FNQ
    Sue in FNQ Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi ladies (Janina, I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post ?).

Last week, I was diagnosed with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma along with focal areas of LCIS. I will have to go through the Public System (same story as you all have above) and have an appt on Friday 11 July for assessment and surgery date.

Dr Elston returns from holidays on Mondy 21 July - and I have only heard wonderful things about him, so am extremely hopeful I am placed on his surgical list, before this month is out. 

Due to a great deal of psychological and emotional outcries from my children - they are traumatised by the idea of cancer growing in the other breast also, my husband and I are very hopeful of being granted a bilateral mastectomy (the right breast being prophylactic / preventative). I have 3 children ... and I am 49 years of age, living on a farm on the Tablelands.

I wonder if anyone has had any experience with their request being granted, within the public system. My family and I can cope with the surgery, me being away from home and farm, chemo if necessary, and all the other treatment - but we could not cope with diagnosis of cancer in the other breast, sometime in the future. We just would not cope well with this.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Sue.

• Sue in FNQ
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi ladies (Janina, I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post ?).

Last week, I was diagnosed with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma along with focal areas of LCIS. I will have to go through the Public System (same story as you all have above) and have an appt on Friday 11 July for assessment and surgery date.

Dr Elston returns from holidays on Mondy 21 July - and I have only heard wonderful things about him, so am extremely hopeful I am placed on his surgical list, before this month is out. 

Due to a great deal of psychological and emotional outcries from my children - they are traumatised by the idea of cancer growing in the other breast also, my husband and I are very hopeful of being granted a bilateral mastectomy (the right breast being prophylactic / preventative). I have 3 children ... and I am 49 years of age, living on a farm on the Tablelands.

I wonder if anyone has had any experience with their request being granted, within the public system. My family and I can cope with the surgery, me being away from home and farm, chemo if necessary, and all the other treatment - but we could not cope with diagnosis of cancer in the other breast, sometime in the future. We just would not cope well with this.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Sue.

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I live in Cairns. I have had a prophylactic mastectomy of my other breast. I did however go private. My decision was not made lightly as I actually had a recurrence in the same breast. You can't actually have a recurrence in the other breast, however both my cancers were very soon after clear mammograms and both aggressive . Apparently my breasts didn't image well. I just couldn't live with that hanging over my head.
    I work with a lady who has just had a bilateral mastectomy, (one being prophylactic) in the public system in Cairns. I think if you do your research, go into your appointment with all your questions written down, then you will be making an informed choice. It is a really personal decision. Do you have a breast care nurse who can give you some help with reliable information? Dr google can be dangerous. From what my friend has told me Dr Elston was fantastic and listened to all her questions and worries.
    I wish you all the best.
    Paula
    PS. I love the tablelands :)
  • Sue in FNQ
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for your insight Paula. The situation with your friend is most encouraging to me - in my hopes to have a full mastectomy of the cancerous breast, with the other one being prophylactic.

I have been told my my Breast Care Nurse (over the phone) that Dr Elston is away until Monday 21st July, so I will be seen (at the consultation) by Dr Heathcliff - and that Dr Heathcliff will decide what surgery I require, then he will place me onto one of either Dr Elston's theatre lists OR Dr Angela Robson's theatre list (and I would be very happy with either of these surgeons - as have only heard positive feedback regarding both).

I am just so distraught by my children's concerns (and my husband's and mine, to be honest) and am so uncomfortable with the idea of someone else (the doctor at the consultation) deciding "what is best for me".  And yet, I am fully aware that that is what one must accept, when going through the public system.

It is not the surgeon, per say, that I have concerns about ... it is the extent (or limitations) of the surgery itself. The best outcome I can hope for is that the consulting doctor hears my concerns (yes, I have them listed and ready to present) and grants my family the request of a bilateral mastectomy.

I am considering whether I should make an appt to see Dr Angela Robson at her private rooms on Friday morning, before attending the public appointment at Cairns Hospital .... as Dr Robson performs surgery both publicly and privately in Cairns.  It's not that I need a "second opinion" as such ... we have definitely made our choice for the bilateral ... it's more that I could not cope with getting our request rejected by the public system.  Ohhhh, the anxiety is almost as painful as the diagnosis !!!

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am unsure how they determine whether you can or can't have a bilateral publically. I would assume it has something to do with your pathology etc. Anyway it certainly can't hurt to ask. It really is such a hard time when you are first diagnosed. Once you are armed with the facts and get a chance to have a chat with a surgeon hopefully they will be able to allay your fears and answer your questions.
    I think the appointment with the other surgeon is a great idea. At least you can maybe be better prepared for your public appointment.
    Good luck.
    Paula