Emotional roller coaster

Options
2»

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm dressed and ready to head out the door. My hair and eyebrows are still only about 2 or 3 mm long. So after much debate I am not wearing a wig (they know I've lost my hair so I would feel false). I have a pretty blue scarf/cap on and I feel ok.

I hope you are feeling ok too. I went to a street party last weekend and found the best approach was to mention the BC early in the conversation and then move onto normal topics. People seem to take their lead from how you are about it. Hope you enjoy your night too. Take care. :) Deanne xx
  • All smiles
    All smiles Member Posts: 59
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Deanne ,
    I've changed my outfit 3 times and am heading out now- not sure why :)
    Will take your advice re conversation .
    Have a lovely night too. Sophie Xx
  • mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

I hope your night was a great success and that you enjoyed yourself.

I thought of you offen last night as I was a a friends birthday party and everyone wanted to talk and ask questions, I had many comments on my lovely head of curls and that I was radiant and that was good becasue I felt good but I tired of talking about myself and no matter how I tried to steer the conversation it seemed to still come back to that one subject.

Anyway we do eventually move past it I am sure there are lasies further along who may be able to validate that (i hope anyway).

Love

Donna

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes mostly good but I was surprised how challenging it was to walk into a room full of people who know you have one missing breast and virtually no hair. It was different to going out in public where no one knows you and gives you a second glance.

Most people were good about it and other than a brief acknowledgment of it being a tough year and enquiries about have I finished treatment we talked about 'normal' things. A few women wanted to know details which I was happy to be open about (might help them or someone else one day). One of the guy's wives is a breast care nurse so we had quite a detailed chat which some of the other ladies found educational.

Was disappointed that one person who I have known as a friend for over 20 years (not so close in last couple of years) just avoided me and left without saying anything. But I guess that is her problem. Lucky she is not someone I have to deal with much. As you say hopefully we will all move past it and onto 'normal' life.

The family Xmas gathering was great and I am sure the 21st this evening will be good too. But I am sure I will be very tired for the next couple of days!
    Take care.
    Deanne xx
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Deanne, I'm glad you have enjoyed yourself. You will be soooooo tired after having a few events all at once though. Yesterday I had the long awaited and planned for Fund Raiser that my sister and niece organised. I did heaps of cooking and really enjoyed being 'useful' again. But I am totally exhausted today both in body and mind. I saw a lot of people, some old friends and some new but I felt like recording my story and just setting it on a playback loop. It was a little different from a get together where you could get off the subject, eventually. After all we were raising money for breast cancer and I was to focal point I guess. But I'm so glad it's over. I was rather desperate for it to finish in the end.

I do hope you enjoy your daughter's 21st. Such a special time when your children reach a milestone isn't it. Unfortunately you won't be able to prevent the tears but they will be happy ones.

Enjoy it all Deanne. We are beating this!

Love Janey xxx