28yo noobie

Options
2»

Comments

• missy meow
    missy meow Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Spanx for the advice! Goodluck next Friday!
  • Kirboxx
    Kirboxx Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

it all depends on the type of cancer you have, what grade it is etc. I did 3 rounds of FEC then 3 rounds of docataxel. If you want to know more it's best to ask your oncologist :)

• missy meow
    missy meow Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Did u get ur lymph nodes taken out? I can't stretch my arm properly.. I can feel like rubberband like in my underarm when I stretch.. Is this normal? I can't reach for things I'm worried I will stay this way :(
  • yme71
    yme71 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

The book costs around $30-40

But many hospitals have a cancer support center which contains a library of relevant books, cd's and videos which you can borrow for free!

• yme71
    yme71 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes, had my nodes removed and it was very sore and tight t first and hurt way more than the mastectomy!  

Best advice I can give is make sure you do the gentle stretching exercises a couple of times a day. I found I needed to do them for first few months after surgery too, but the good news is, I have full mobility back and no pain so its worth it.

Have you been put in touch with a breat care nurse?  They can show you (or loan you a video) of the recommended exercises.  Ask your nurse about "cording" (that rubber band feeling might need special attention).

• polkadotbowsophie
    polkadotbowsophie Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello :)
    Again another young one! I was diagnosed at 24 I am 26 now if you need any help or advice email me at sophiepolkadotbow@**** as at our age the issues we face seem to be so different from older people I was busy worrying about work and how I was going to rock my wig at the pub on a Friday night haha anyway iof you ever need to chat I'm here :)
  • Kermit
    Kermit Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Missy Meow,

I am new to this site and am not on line much as I don't have the internet at home.

I feel for you and what you're going through. I was diagnosed at 22yrs old in 1999. I am now 37yrs old and I am well and cancer free. I had many rounds of chemotherapy and then radiotherapy to try to shrink the lump but unfortunately that didn't work and I had to have a mastectomy of my left breast and removal of at least half my nodes followed by more chemo.

It was and still is very traumatic to live with as my surgeon didn't take into account my being so young and that reconstruction would be very important to my sense of womanhood and emotional wellbeing. So I have been unable to be reconstructed and as a young woman that has been one of the most challenging things to have to live with. 

There is so much more technology and medical knowledge out there now. When I went through my journey there wern't many young women diagnosed and I guess it was a learning time for all involved. I wish I had places and people I could have talked to who could have helped give me advice. All I can recommend is get as many opinions as you can. Ask all the questions you can think of. No question is dumb or stupid when you are going through something so scary. Look into all your options before going through with anything.

I also feel that diet and exercise are hugely important as is our emotional wellbeing. I think the combination of these things have a significant impact on our health and I believe that is why so many more people, especially young people are getting breast cancer now.

I hope everything goes well for you. If you want to ask me anything feel free. I am only able to get on the internet every so often. But I will always checkin whenever I can.

Mel  (Kermit)