28yo noobie

Options
missy meow
missy meow Member Posts: 10
edited November 2013 in General discussion
I'm 28yo. New to this. Found out about me having breast cancer at the start of October. Thought its better to keep a blog than writing in a journal/diary. I'm more of a device kinda girl!

I also wanted to see if there's anyone out there my age who has also been diagnosed with this stoobi sickness - their experiences/stories etc..

I've started my first out of 8 cycles of chemo two weeks ago. I have to go once every three weeks.. I've had biopsy of my lymph nodes-my arm/underarm hurts and is swollen.

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Missy Meow and welcome to this wonderful site.  I can not believe how many young girls like youself are being diagnosed with BC lately.  You all seem to be getting younger and younger.  There will be heaps of support on this great site for you though and there is some great groups available for youngies like youself.  You will find the groups on the right hand side of the page.  If you need any assistance at all with anything just let us know.  There is also a search button up the top where you can find all the precious posts on various subjects.

I hope you have managed to either be given a My Journey Kit through your breast nurse, ordered it online through this site or phoned to order it.  Details about this and various other information is at the bottom of the page.

Do you have a lot of family and friends to give you lots of love and support.  What type of cancer do you have?  What area do you live in as there are a lot of wonderful groups to support you spread all over Oz.

Just let us know if we can do anything to help in anyway.

I am 2 years nearly post my diagnosis so I have been there and done that so can help with advice along with many many other ladies on this site.  We have all been where you are now sweet.

Lots of love, Mich xoxoxoxoxo

• yme71
    yme71 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi missy meow,

Agree, there is so much support out there, which you will find that you call on as you need help or stumble into another unfamiliar stage of this journey.  People really do want to help, so let them!  It makes them feel good too.

I was diagnosed August 12, age 40 and had the works - double mastectomy, AC+Paclitaxel chemo then radiotherapy and now on Tamoxifen.  I finished treatment in May13, and am pleased to say, life has returned to normal.  

One of the things that surprised me most of all was how long the process took - this is a marathon, not a sprint, so take good care of yourself and pace yourself.

Apart from all the wonderful booklets from BCNA and the info on this site, the best resource I found was a book by Prof John Boyages called Breast Cancer: Taking Control.  Such a wealth of information and could be available at your local cancer clinic/hospital.  It talks you through the whole process from beginning to end, and in my experience, forewarned was for-armed as they say!  Pretty much a map to help you understand the treatment and the many options right from beginning to end.  It really helped me understand this new cancer language and have more meaningful conversations with my medical team.

So you're 1 chemo down, 7 to go.  I found breaking the process down into bite-size chunks the way to go.  Just focus on the next step in front of you. Hair generally falls out about Day 17/18 after first chemo, so watch out for that one!  Best to be prepared for what you will do (ie, wig/scarves/naked?) as that was a really challenging time and for me, really made it feel 'real'.

Good luck!  Keep your chin up!

xx

• KimH
    KimH Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi noobie Missy Meow :)

Crappy to meet you under these circumstances! Im 33 now, 31 when diagnosed. There's lots of us on the Young Pink Sisters facebook site. It's a closed group for members only so you need to be 'added'. What's your name on Facebook luv? Merrylee Punchard might just see this post and add you straight away - or even better email youngpinksiters@**** xxx

• Rachaelb1976
    Rachaelb1976 Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi missy meow

I wish none of us had to meet/chat under these circumstances, I was diagnosed 28th June 2013
    37 years old,
    I've had my last round (round 6) of chemo Wednesday 13th November, it's no picnic but with support & love & the medications available you will get through it

Good luck with everything I have found just reading others stories comforting & we all cope in the best ways we can at that point in time

Take care xxx rach
  • sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Kim for recommending YPS .... 

Would love to add you Missy meow. & would love to meet u in person if your interested. We have alot of events on in Melbourne for young women diagnosed with bc. 

Myself I was diagnosed at 28 also. gone thru alot of stuff - i could write you a long essay but im really tired. feel free to email me at youngpinksisters@**** or via this site. 

Merylee Punchard

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015
    Options

anyone thats interested in the Young Pink Sisters link. 

Open to any women diagnosed with cancer under 50yrs old. :-) 

Private online FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/youngpinksisters/ - request to join! 

• Kirboxx
    Kirboxx Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi missy meow 

I was 26 when I was diagnosed so I definitely get where you're at. It's been 12 months since my diagnosis and I've finished treatment now. I had surgery, chemo and radiation. 

Cause you're a device girl I'd definitely recommend Young Pink Sisters facebook group. So many wonderful women in there and it's a great place to share stories or ask questions to get super quick responses. 

best of luck with your treatment

Kirby

• missy meow
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Mich.. Thank you for your reply.. Yes I do have the kit.. To be honest I've been given so much booklets/kits/information that it's been so overwhelming and it's just been sitting on my desk.. The cancer I have is .. Lots of words.. I can't remember what it's called..
    But they can see calcium spots scattered around.. And the cancer itself is about 3cm.. My family and friends been asking me what type of BC and I'm clueless.. Don't know what questions I should be asking my doctor..
    I like to keep things simple.. For now I just know that I need to do 8 sessions of chemo .. Operate reconstruct and then radiation.. I will be getting a double mastectomy.. I'm pretty upset.. They will have to remove the nipple because the cancer had spread to the milk ducts?
    But thank you so much for the msg and support.. :)

Do I just reply to everyone's comments individually?

I'm new to forums stuff..

Thanks Mich!!!! Xo
  • missy meow
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for the msg and support.. Breast cancer-taking control.. How much does this book cost? Sounds good cause like how u said.. Cancer language is like a bit wowwwww for me..

I'm on my 14th day since first chemo and my hair is starting to fall out already..
  • Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

I fully understanding you being overwhelmed.  It is so hard to take it all in at the beginning.  Make sure you take someone to your appointments who can take notes for you if necessary.  Write questions down when you think of them or get asked otherwise you will forget them.

No sweetheart you don't have to reply to every single post as that would be overwhelming in itself.  You can do a group one or reply to ones that resonate with you.

I am here for you and thinking of you.  I am sure the young girls will be in contact with you as well.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the very best.  Lots of love today, tomorrow and always, Mich xoxoxoxo

• missy meow
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hiii ya.. I've added you on Facebook.. My name is Mai Trinh Vuong .. :) yes.. I'd love to meet.. Is there like a group thing I can attend to?
  • missy meow
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for ur msg.. :) think I requested to join the yps group ! I'm surprised at all the responses ! Xx
  • missy meow
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks heaps!! Is it like a whole group chat? I deactivated my fb but activated it again for this YPS group.. :) xx
  • Kirboxx
    Kirboxx Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

it's a private group where we gather to talk, ask advice, vent and just be ourselves with other women with breast cancer. :)

• missy meow
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much for your msg.. Just wondering-why is it some ppl have fewer cycles of chemo.. And what is all the diff kind of chemos for? Isn't it supposed to do the same thing..... Ughhhh.. Compusing!