Looking for confirmation that I am not alone.

Options
2»

Comments

• Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes I am proud of you. Remember that this week will probably be your worst when side effects will show themselves but I hope you don't get any too badly. The week after you will feel a bit better and you know you'll loose your hair which is very confronting (I cried like a baby) but you'll have your lovely head ware. It's still a big shock when it happens though. Your immune system will be reaching its nadir (lowest point) during your second week so be aware of possible infection, this is when you'll definitely need a thermometer Jodie. Check your temperature regularly. You'll find that you'll feel pretty normal third week just in time for your next chemo (she says smiling). But you'll know what to expect next time and you'll be just fine.
    Sending you a big hug.
    Love Janey xxx
  • Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you to everybody who has responded to my post. I am so overwhelmed by the support i have received. It will be a bit of a bumpy road ahead, but now I know that there are people who can answer some questions when I am unsure and comfort me when the going gets tough. Considering I had to be persuaded to look up the website, it will go down as one of the best decisions i have made:) 

• BecJ
    BecJ Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good on you. Yes it's scary but once you do it you realise it only needs to be managed moment by moment.
    I've 9 days into second FEC, surgery hopefully after, with tax and hormone treatment etc. first went quiet badly with late onset nausea. Which means I'm dizzy and sick within 2 hours of treatment and it lasts for two weeks. Yay.
    The best advice as I'm learning still ask for help, ring nurses and see your GP. this time I'm not vomiting second week just sick. Aches pains in limbs this time, sore mouth, throat and headaches. Brain fog. Add in badly constipated that where on the 3rd stage of treating. Two little boys mr. 2 and mr. Just turned 4.
    This is sounding sad, and some days are hard but believe me there has been other just as hard things this year that is continuing. But where I'm heading is, I know some moments will be sad another angry another funny, life is every shade of colour light you can imagine. I apologise to the loved ones if I make a snappy comment. I realise I'm human. My kids are a great distraction, yet hard work. They know mum loves them with everything and some times she also has to say sorry.
    They give me small moments that remind me life is wonderful and you only get wonderful by having the other shade.
    I'm taking it abit easier than I thought I'd need to. I'm looking forward to sitting still and enjoying laughter, a glass of wine, food next week.
    Love to all.
    Ill try again when I'm not so foggy.
  • BecJ
    BecJ Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good on you. Yes it's scary but once you do it you realise it only needs to be managed moment by moment.
    I've 9 days into second FEC, surgery hopefully after, with tax and hormone treatment etc. first went quiet badly with late onset nausea. Which means I'm dizzy and sick within 2 hours of treatment and it lasts for two weeks. Yay.
    The best advice as I'm learning still ask for help, ring nurses and see your GP. this time I'm not vomiting second week just sick. Aches pains in limbs this time, sore mouth, throat and headaches. Brain fog. Add in badly constipated that where on the 3rd stage of treating. Two little boys mr. 2 and mr. Just turned 4.
    This is sounding sad, and some days are hard but believe me there has been other just as hard things this year that is continuing. But where I'm heading is, I know some moments will be sad another angry another funny, life is every shade of colour light you can imagine. I apologise to the loved ones if I make a snappy comment. I realise I'm human. My kids are a great distraction, yet hard work. They know mum loves them with everything and some times she also has to say sorry.
    They give me small moments that remind me life is wonderful and you only get wonderful by having the other shade.
    I'm taking it abit easier than I thought I'd need to. I'm looking forward to sitting still and enjoying laughter, a glass of wine, food next week.
    Love to all.
    Ill try again when I'm not so foggy.
  • Margherite
    Margherite Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As others have said before me it's not as bad as you think esp on reading all the material. I was so anxious I cried when I got to my first chemo. I've had five months worth and am nearly finished my six weeks of radiotherapy. This is going to sound weird but I've been really lucky that I have come from a background that sent me into years of counselling and the old serenity prayer of courage to change what you can, surrender to what you can't and wisdom to discern the difference...or something like that. Dad was schizophrenic and life was really hard when I was little. I told my friends who I met in a support group who had a similar experience that this is so different. It's not hidden and there is lots do support......it's just remembering to reach out for it so you're on the right track. not that I'm trying to minimise what your going through ... As I said I was highly anxious....I tried to look at the things I could take some control in... I bought myself a lovely wig (my health insurance gave me $200 back and I can claim it on tax as a prosthesis ) I continued to work part time which gave me a routine and I could often work from home. During chemo I watched moves on my ipad and took all the medication suggested and I wasnt nauseous but I do have an iron gut. Everyone is different. I stopped reading too much stuff as it freaked me out. I spoke to all the nurses at chemo...I contacted the breast care nurse who offered 1:1support and later suggested the oncology rehab program. There's a public and private one. I decided to go private as it was totally covered by my health insurance if I did it this year. I started two weeks ago and it's great to have the muscles in my legs responding to me again. I felt so weak and unsafe in my balance. And was annoyed that I kept getting told yes, that's all normal and I didn't like the "new normal". Rehab have also offered me 1:1 psych which is specific to our journey helps me look forward but also re look at the effects of the past which are messing with my head. I got given a CD of relaxation strategies and how to live in the day/the moment. I feel like I am sharpening some of the old tools I have forgotten to use in overcoming past struggles and am gaining some new ones. I wish I knew now what I did then. Do get lots of sleep.....I found I slept best separately to my husband for a while so I could elevate my mattress if my legs got swollen and generally wouldn't be awake listening to him snore. I set my alarm a little earlier than his so I we could connect and snuggle in the morning. I know I'm waffling too much but maybe the best thing I can say is honour yourself and the journey and be kind to yourself and know you are not alone.
  • Margherite
    Margherite Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As others have said before me it's not as bad as you think esp on reading all the material. I was so anxious I cried when I got to my first chemo. I've had five months worth and am nearly finished my six weeks of radiotherapy. This is going to sound weird but I've been really lucky that I have come from a background that sent me into years of counselling and the old serenity prayer of courage to change what you can, surrender to what you can't and wisdom to discern the difference...or something like that. Dad was schizophrenic and life was really hard when I was little. I told my friends who I met in a support group who had a similar experience that this is so different. It's not hidden and there is lots do support......it's just remembering to reach out for it so you're on the right track. not that I'm trying to minimise what your going through ... As I said I was highly anxious....I tried to look at the things I could take some control in... I bought myself a lovely wig (my health insurance gave me $200 back and I can claim it on tax as a prosthesis ) I continued to work part time which gave me a routine and I could often work from home. During chemo I watched moves on my ipad and took all the medication suggested and I wasnt nauseous but I do have an iron gut. Everyone is different. I stopped reading too much stuff as it freaked me out. I spoke to all the nurses at chemo...I contacted the breast care nurse who offered 1:1support and later suggested the oncology rehab program. There's a public and private one. I decided to go private as it was totally covered by my health insurance if I did it this year. I started two weeks ago and it's great to have the muscles in my legs responding to me again. I felt so weak and unsafe in my balance. And was annoyed that I kept getting told yes, that's all normal and I didn't like the "new normal". Rehab have also offered me 1:1 psych which is specific to our journey helps me look forward but also re look at the effects of the past which are messing with my head. I got given a CD of relaxation strategies and how to live in the day/the moment. I feel like I am sharpening some of the old tools I have forgotten to use in overcoming past struggles and am gaining some new ones. I wish I knew now what I did then. Do get lots of sleep.....I found I slept best separately to my husband for a while so I could elevate my mattress if my legs got swollen and generally wouldn't be awake listening to him snore. I set my alarm a little earlier than his so I we could connect and snuggle in the morning. I know I'm waffling too much but maybe the best thing I can say is honour yourself and the journey and be kind to yourself and know you are not alone.
  • Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

Your not waffling at all, your opening up and i appreciate that. I have settled down somewhat over the past 2 days, saw my GP and got something to help me sleep. The way I was going, i would have been so run down before i even started chemo next tuesday. I'm pretty sure i will be anxious on the morning of my first one, but i am trying to approach it with a more open mind. Yes, i will get side effects and if i take one day at a time and do everything i can to help myself, i am hoping  i will gradually move through the process and focus on getting to the end and returning to my normal life. The serenity prayer is a good guide and thanks again Margherite. I wish you well

Hazel xx

• jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Hazel

I am realtively new on this site too...and thank goodness I discovered it - certainly have so much help and support here!

When you have your first chemo, it will be 2 weeks since I had my first one. Scary and daunting but see it as your saviour and best chance of mopping up the dregs!  Everyone is different how they react - I mostly had a bit of tiredness, got sore/furry mouth on about day 5-8 - no poop for 5 days - but feeling pretty good now and next week will most likely be the time when my hair will go ---- yikes!

Sending you calming thoughts and best of luck....Jenny x

Jodie....xxxx You did it!! Well done.....hope you are resting up and feeling ok...big hugs to you xx

• JodieWall
    JodieWall Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks lovely Jen xxx