Hit for six by lump!

Options
KTCC
KTCC Member Posts: 22
edited November 2013 in General discussion
I'm not sure how to feel at the moment - there doesn't seem to be a handy guide to emotional fallout just waiting for me! I had benign lumps in my twenties, eventually ended up with no boobs after kiddies and lumpectomies etc, so had implants. Regular two yearly mammograms - latest one last month always clear. Found lump Wednesday night and told it is cancerous Friday late afternoon. 6CM, aggressive looking (must have its fists up!), how did that get there so fast!?! Off to the Mater on biopsy Monday. It's all a little crazy in my head right now!

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It sounds like you have already been through enough but breast cancer just shows no mercy! Welcome to our roller coaster ride.

I too was surprised at the speed that breast cancer can grow. It is a tough time when you are waiting for the medical experts to gather all the info and work out the plan of counter attack. I have heard a lot of good things about the Mater so you will be in good hands.

This is a wonderful place to share your feelings and get support from those who truly understand what you are going through. If we can be of help please just ask. Wishing you all the luck in the world as you go through these initial diagnosis weeks. Soon you will know more and be able to work with your medical team towards regaining your health. Take care and take it one step at a time. Let us know how you go. Deanne xxx
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

As Deanne said, it's a shock how fast a tumour can grow, even though you have had regular mammograms every 2 years.  It happened to me, too, between mammograms/USS and 6 months after clear examination by a Women's Health doctor.  It's a plus, though, that you had such regular checkups as you have a time frame. (Sometimes they call them "interval cancers".)

So many of us found our lump in the shower - there is actually a post-thread on this site called Who Found their Lump in the Shower? if you put it in the searchbox.  You will find a lot of other women who were in your position and can read their progress by clicking on their name.  It can be a comfort not to feel alone when you are so shell-shocked.

I am also in SE Qld, and the care has been amazing.  If you are going to the Mater in Brisbane, you will probably have an Oncologist from HOCA (Haematology/Oncology) - mine was just excellent and I am forever grateful to him.

All the best with your biopsy on Monday.  Stay in touch with your progress, and try not to stress too much.  We nearly all say "take it one day at a time", which is manageable.  Looking too far ahead can be overwhelming.

Come and post whenever you need too.  Big hug.  Michelle xxx

• Michelle_R
    edited March 2015
    Options

As Deanne said, it's a shock how fast a tumour can grow, even though you have had regular mammograms every 2 years.  It happened to me, too, between mammograms/USS and 6 months after clear examination by a Women's Health doctor.  It's a plus, though, that you had such regular checkups as you have a time frame. (Sometimes they call them "interval cancers".)

So many of us found our lump in the shower - there is actually a post-thread on this site called Who Found their Lump in the Shower? if you put it in the searchbox.  You will find a lot of other women who were in your position and can read their progress by clicking on their name.  It can be a comfort not to feel alone when you are so shell-shocked.

I am also in SE Qld, and the care has been amazing.  If you are going to the Mater in Brisbane, you will probably have an Oncologist from HOCA (Haematology/Oncology) - mine was just excellent and I am forever grateful to him.

All the best with your biopsy on Monday.  Stay in touch with your progress, and try not to stress too much.  We nearly all say "take it one day at a time", which is manageable.  Looking too far ahead can be overwhelming.

Come and post whenever you need too.  Big hug.  Michelle xxx

• KTCC
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you Deanne and Michelle. Luckily I work at the Mater, and have a friend (In medicine)who has recommended a surgeon. Despite not having the cytology I've already been told it will have to come out - and that wasn't a surprise. It's just this total wow - what's happening here thing - I'd just got my life up and running after a nasty car crash five years ago, finally legals were settled, bills paid, trip to UK to see my family booked for five weeks time - but now!! This site seems great - my husband is awesome, girls' don't know it's cancer yet - they think it's a lump until I know more - but my head is going at a million miles a minute - I keep telling it to stop, but it won't. I'm very much a black humour person, which helps, and am taking it an hour at a time right now until I know more.
  • KTCC
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you Deanne and Michelle. Luckily I work at the Mater, and have a friend (In medicine)who has recommended a surgeon. Despite not having the cytology I've already been told it will have to come out - and that wasn't a surprise. It's just this total wow - what's happening here thing - I'd just got my life up and running after a nasty car crash five years ago, finally legals were settled, bills paid, trip to UK to see my family booked for five weeks time - but now!! This site seems great - my husband is awesome, girls' don't know it's cancer yet - they think it's a lump until I know more - but my head is going at a million miles a minute - I keep telling it to stop, but it won't. I'm very much a black humour person, which helps, and am taking it an hour at a time right now until I know more.
  • Nellie0810
    Nellie0810 Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow, what a shock and I am always surprised at how quickly it grows but my theory is, that the reason it grows fast is the same reason you have a great chance of beating it, because you are strong and healthy. And a great attitude always help. Hugs and best wishes to you... Xxx
  • KTCC
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OK, today is nearly over, and I'm doing ok until I read the survival rate at five years for tumours of my size. Even before I have the cytology. Being an experienced RN is really working against me right now, and for the first time ever I want to cry. What to do? Crying would make it too real right now. I think I just want my mum. Who I cannot tell as my Auntie is pretty sick with the same after 14 years, ca now spread.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Survival rates based on tumor size only are very inaccurate. There are so many other factors to consider such as Grade, hormone status etc. Also most of the info you find on line is old and survival rates are improving as treatment techniques are improving.

THE only way to get accurate info like this is to wait for your pathology results after surgery. My oncologist gave me percentages based on my pathology and the treatment that I was able to have. At the end of the day statistics do not really mean anything to an individual. I also believe that we can help ourselves through removing known risk factors, such as alcohol, being overweight, exposure to pesticides etc. It may be better to spend your time researching positive steps you can take to give yourself a better chance at preventing recurrence.

It is hard to wait for results and a treatment plan but there are things you can do to help yourself prepare in more beneficial and positive ways. Take care of yourself in this way. Deanne xx
  • KTCC
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Deanne. Yesterday I did most of the positive things during the day - walked for forty minutes, started green tea drinking regime (yucky!), drank two litres of water and decided on diet tweaks - generally am a healthy eater. Then decided to finish up wine in house - probable mistake! It gave me false confidence that googling one or two things would be ok. Now been awake since 0330hrs - feeling more myself and preparing for biopsy later today. Going to go out for a bike ride now to give myself the best chance I can. It's so wonderful to get your reassurance, thank you, it's what I need right now. Xx
  • Michelle_R
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kate,

I found this on a respected cancer site and it cheered me up, so I am passing it on to you.  Michelle xx

I think it helps to remember that five year survival rate stats, by their very nature, are a reflection of what was happening five or more years ago. If you think about how much has changed in such a short period of time it's reasonable to expect that our survival rates will be much better. 

So....for example ...85% survival means that 85% of women diagnosed with BC five or more years ago survived it. That figure will include all the women with late diagnosis and advanced cancer, all the women that decided to refuse treatment, all the women that chose alternative treatment over mainstream medicine, all the women that had underlying health condtions, drug addiction, poor diet, obesity, regular alcohol consumption etc etc etc.

In other words, if you're in good health, not obese, don't smoke, don't drink, eat well and exercise regularly your odds just jumped accordingly. Now add in all the improvements in medical treatment in the last five years. Feeling better? 

I sure hope so.