Options
2»

Comments

• peggysue
    peggysue Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jodie,

Not sure what cocktail your having.   I had FEC x 3.  No problems with nails.  Although when I had Docataxel they gave me ice mittens while being infused.  Worked well, i did not lose any.  Linda.

• peggysue
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jodie,

Not sure what cocktail your having.   I had FEC x 3.  No problems with nails.  Although when I had Docataxel they gave me ice mittens while being infused.  Worked well, i did not lose any.  Linda.

• TinaW
    TinaW Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yep I'm going to pindara on the 22nd november
  • JodieWall
    JodieWall Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Linda,

Im having FEC  as well x3 then Taxol?

so leave ice until the 12x taxol rounds?

sorry to hijack xx

• peggysue
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jodie,

I was not given the ice mittens while having the FEC.  Only with with Docataxel.  They keep them in the freezer in the infusion room..  I would say not to worry, but just ask the nurses just in case.  My understanding is the Docataxel component is the one that affects the nails...... .Linda. x

• JodieWall
    edited March 2015
    Options

ahhhh ok.

Ill ask in the morning. How long does the first infusion usually take? Is it hours and hours?

• peggysue
    edited March 2015
    Options

Jodie,

Infusion usually took about 2 hours.  This is what happened to me......I would go in, they would find a vein, hook up the drugs.  I would feel nothing, I used to chat with my hubby, or the person next to me,  or read have an ice block, then they would give me lunch, usually a sandwich and a drink, hubby was beside me usually on his computer.  Everyone was smiling, the nurses were great, others were on their computers, reading, or listening to their ipods........  They gave my my little pills to take home, they would unhook me, then off we would go........you will be fine......  :Linda......xx  ,

• JodieWall
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Linda it all sounds so simple.

My port is a bit sore where the cut is. I hope they freeze it or something.

I'm going to bring heaps of iced water and snacks. Do they give you enough medication to last a week or just a few days?
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Jodie,it's me! I always get enough of everything to last me to the next time,and then you see the oncologist again I would think it is the same at all hospitals.xoxRobyn.I have painted my nails black as have others before me. My oncologist also told me that it is a good tip to paint them black .i think it's about keeping the light off them.
  • Casjsa
    Casjsa Member Posts: 181
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh, that is the same day that I go to my first appointment at the oncologist.  You'll like Pindara I'm sure.

• Casjsa
    edited March 2015
    Options

OK, I'm hearing half information here.  What is the story with nails?  What happens to them if you don't use ice mittens and what is the go with the black nail polish?  eeeeeeeeeek!  I don't wear black anything....ever.  So are my fingers going to drop off or go blue with green spots or start growing pumpkins out from under my nails?

• JodieWall
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think it's to protect them from sunlight cas.

I've got black nail polish too to use which I will do Tomorow xx
  • Casjsa
    edited March 2015
    Options

Apparently Docataxol can make the nails lift hence the ice mittens?  I'll have to go and research the medical findings for that (interesting medical story).

The nailpolish is because the chemo can cause bands across the nails at interviews that reflect the cycles of chemo.  Many people find that it is nicer to have nail polish so that you can't see them.

They also say that your nails may get brittle and it is best to have them short for while so that they don't chip or tear.  Use lots of nail moisturizer.

My fingers will be like ice blocks anyway if they have air conditioning which I assume, given several people in one room, they will.