Newly diagnosed

TinaW
TinaW Member Posts: 153
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
I just want to express how extremely diss appointed I am with the Gold Coast HOspital. I was diagnosed last week with a recommendation I have surgery within 4 weeks. My GP phoned the hospital was was told what to do in order for a speedy process if my urgent referral . two days later I phoned the bookings and referral centre to be told they receive over 500 referrals a day and unless my doctor rings within minutes if sending the fax it will take weeks to process asvtheyvare behind. She also reminded me that it was also just for an appointment and not surgery. My doctor did as requested and the hospital confirmed received. I phoned today and now have been told that my referral has to be seen by triage for assessment which is 2-3 weeks. When I mentioned about having surgery within 4 weeks she told me that I was in the public system not private! I am absolutely devistated that the 'admin' has let me down and the attitude if the staff is shocking. People aren't ringing for the fun of it they are ringing because they need medical help. From reading other peoples stories it seems the Gold Coast is not the place to be when you are ill.
Tagged:

Comments

• TinaW
    edited March 2015
    Sorry predictive text gets the better of me, hope you can understand my previous post :)
  • Casjsa
    Casjsa Member Posts: 181
    edited March 2015

Hi Tina, you must be near to me, I live at Arundel.  I've had my surgery but I went to Pindara.  I'm assuming that your doctor has just sent you straight to GCUH because you're not in private health insurance.  I have insurance otherwise I would have been going to GCUH as well.  Yes I know that they take forever.  I was considering having my chemotherapy there but I've just found out that if I get a referral to them this week they MIGHT be able to see me for an initial consultation after Christmas some time.

Now!  Don't panic.  I don't own a small gold mine in my backyard either but there are reasonable ways of avoiding the GCUH.  First, there are surgeons who operate both privately and publicly.  Mine does both.  You can ask to be referred to Robina hospital instead.  My surgeon is Dr John Gault and he has rooms at Bundall on Ashmore Road.  He is not too bad price wise.  You might want to ask your doctor what he thinks of him.  I think he is fantastic and so do the nurses at Pindarra. 

Anyway keep me informed and if I can help, let me know.  I'm only a few weeks ahead of you and not up to chemo yet.

Cas

• TinaW
    edited March 2015
    Hi Cas I'm seeing John Gault tomorrow as a private patient and I'm hoping he can give me some advice.
  • TinaW
    edited March 2015
    Hi Cas I'm seeing John Gault tomorrow as a private patient and I'm hoping he can give me some advice.
  • Casjsa
    edited March 2015

I hope that you will love him.  He is very quietly spoken and has a scots accent so you need to be listening hard :)

Good luck, let me know how you go and what happens.  If you go to Pindarra you will be pleasantly surprised.  The wards are nice, great food, lovely nurses.  You couldn't do any better. 

Dr Gault will look after you, public or private.

Cas

• Traceylee
    Traceylee Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2015
    Hi Tina. Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble in the public system there needs to be a change in the way they process women with recent diagnosis needing immediate surgery. Maybe we need to lobby our local members to help change the process. I hope that you have better luck with the new suggestions you have received from this forum. I am a member of a Sth east Qld group (see link)http://www.bcna.org.au/group/52090 the have been very helpful to me. Also the BCNA site has lots of helpful information. Have you ordered you Journey Kit yet it has lots of great information. Details are on this site. I hope all goes well with you appointment with the surgeon. Keep us posted. Remember you are not alone. Xx Traceylee
  • Traceylee
    Traceylee Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2015
    Hi Tina. Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble in the public system there needs to be a change in the way they process women with recent diagnosis needing immediate surgery. Maybe we need to lobby our local members to help change the process. I hope that you have better luck with the new suggestions you have received from this forum. I am a member of a Sth east Qld group (see link)http://www.bcna.org.au/group/52090 the have been very helpful to me. Also the BCNA site has lots of helpful information. Have you ordered you Journey Kit yet it has lots of great information. Details are on this site. I hope all goes well with you appointment with the surgeon. Keep us posted. Remember you are not alone. Xx Traceylee
  • Walnut
    Walnut Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Tina, Sorry to hear of your experience. I was diagnosed in Jan 2013 and went through the public system at RBH. I couldn't fault them from start to now. Words cannot actually express my admiration and efficiency of the system. I
    hope all goes well for you from here on in.
  • JodieWall
    JodieWall Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015

Hi Tina,

Im so sorry to hear of your recent experience. Cas is wonderful and so knowledgeable about medical treatment down the Gold Coast.

Im recently diagnosed as well and having my treatment at the Mater in Brisbane.

There is a group called  the South East QLD Online group which you may like to join to chat to other ladies in the area :)

I know its such a difficult time and it all happens so fast, but we are here for you and i couldnt of gotten where I am today without the wondeful support and kindness of these ladies. 

Im a newbie too but am here for you xxx

Jodie

• JodieWall
    edited March 2015
    That's a shame about the group cas :-(

I joined but haven't had much to do with them.

Also a massive shame about the cancer council in southport. That's disgusting !!

Jodie
  • JodieWall
    edited March 2015
    My iPad, my phone snacks loads of water. Ice bags too because I'm going to try and protect my nails.

No doubt will bring home a big bag of drugs.
  • Casjsa
    edited March 2015

Ice bags for nails?  What's that all about?

• Casjsa
    edited March 2015

Please don't tell me my fingernails are going to fall off as well?  Hair I can cope with but not much more.

• Casjsa
    edited March 2015

I'm glad you like him and also glad you've made your decision.  That's something that you have to feel comfortable with, not anyone else.

I was going to do the same thing but after thinking about the information he gave I decided to leave the good one alone, heal faster and have reconstruction in six months or so. 

You're 10 years younger than me so you will probably heal faster. 

Anyway, that's one thing down.  Has he told you when and where yet?

• Casjsa
    edited March 2015

I'm glad you like him and also glad you've made your decision.  That's something that you have to feel comfortable with, not anyone else.

I was going to do the same thing but after thinking about the information he gave I decided to leave the good one alone, heal faster and have reconstruction in six months or so. 

You're 10 years younger than me so you will probably heal faster. 

Anyway, that's one thing down.  Has he told you when and where yet?