Options
2»

Comments

• AntheaM
    AntheaM Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi

I had my bilateral  7 weeks ago. I am not having reconstruction.I found the surgery to be virtually painless, I only needed occasional Panadol. I had 18 nodes removed as well. I stayed in hospital for 4 days as my surgeon doesn't like to discharge with drains in. A few days after discharge I went to her office and she aspirated out some fluid with a needle. This did not hurt at all as you end up being quiet numb. I have had this done another 3 times.

I had the most amazing breast care nurse who gave me a really good piece of advice on the first morning after my op. My husband was visiting  and she asked if we had "looked" and we said no. She said we should do it now as the bruising etc would develop and it would look worse in a couple of days. We looked it was fine, just a flatish chest with two strips of dressing. But she was right it looked much worse later.

The only discomfort I felt was when the fluid would build up between syringings, and that just felt like you were wearing a tight bra.

all the best x

• AntheaM
    AntheaM Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi

I had my bilateral  7 weeks ago. I am not having reconstruction.I found the surgery to be virtually painless, I only needed occasional Panadol. I had 18 nodes removed as well. I stayed in hospital for 4 days as my surgeon doesn't like to discharge with drains in. A few days after discharge I went to her office and she aspirated out some fluid with a needle. This did not hurt at all as you end up being quiet numb. I have had this done another 3 times.

I had the most amazing breast care nurse who gave me a really good piece of advice on the first morning after my op. My husband was visiting  and she asked if we had "looked" and we said no. She said we should do it now as the bruising etc would develop and it would look worse in a couple of days. We looked it was fine, just a flatish chest with two strips of dressing. But she was right it looked much worse later.

The only discomfort I felt was when the fluid would build up between syringings, and that just felt like you were wearing a tight bra.

all the best x

• Chixon
    Chixon Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am on the count down to my bilateral mastectomy on the 27th June. Am trying to stay positive ...I think I will be happy to have the cancer out ...will just have to wait for the pathology results....I feel so vulnerable. Not sure how long the hospital stay is?? I suppose it depends on an individual surgeon. Please keep me in your thoughts on Friday... it has been a blessing for me to have this connection and to read your stories. I agree that you have to keep your sense of humour. I mentioned to my husband as I have only small breasts it won't take long in theatre..so my recovery will be a lot quicker. He has been my ROCK.. My thoughts and prayers are with you all as we face this cancer journey. Xxx