Options
2»

Comments

• SamzRusty
    SamzRusty Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jen,

Give it a couple of weeks & you'll be used to the terminology :)

I was told because of my age (41), being TN & the aggressiveness that yes, I was going to be hit hard with the chemo. I'm on AC (Doxorubicin & Cyclophosphamide) once every 3 weeks for 12 weeks. Then I move onto the Paclitaxel (Taxol) every week for 12 weeks. I was due to have radiation after the chemo 5 days a week for 4 weeks, but I've since tested positive to BRCA 1, so will be skipping the radiation & having a hysterectomy & double reconstructive mastectomy instead :P

Do you have a "Welcome to Chemo" type visit at the hospital before you start? I did a few days before, that 's when they told me the types of chemo, duration & what to expect. My what to expect part wasn't nearly as helpful as the ladies here & I still had a major melt down when the canular went in the 1st time. They also gave me a walk through the chemo ward & I met a few nurses.

As for tablets, you'll be send home with a bag of meds to help prevent the nausea. Keep a record of how you feel day to day. I didn't vomit, but didn't feel great either, on my 2nd dose, they added extra meds to the chemo line that stay in me system for 5 days...worked a treat ;)

Are you having the BRCA tests done?

I'll be thinking about you next Wednesday. Next Friday is my last AC.

Stay strong, Sam xoxox

• Jennib
    Jennib Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Sam....getting the BRCA test is a hard one...do I want to know? I have a 13 year old daughter so it is a real predicament for me....

Congrats on your last chemo! Bst wishes for your next treatments.

Xx jen
  • SamzRusty
    SamzRusty Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

Only my last AC....then 12 weeks of taxol :) Finish date is 6th December.

I was busting to find out about the BRCA genes, bummed that I'm positive, but glad I know. It's helped make descisions about my future treatment & has enabled my mum & cousins to be tested. When my kids are 30, they too will be tested.