Options
Jennib
Jennib Member Posts: 16
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hi all, I am new to all this so apologies if I get it wrong.
I am a 41 year old mother of one and have just been
Diagnosed with TNBC invasive grade three. I have had breast surgery and my ovaries removed and will start chemo on the 28th of this month. So much has happened in the last 4 weeks that it just doesn't seem real.
I am a little worried about the chemo and really do not know what to expect. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jen

Comments

• Jennib
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Sam,

I also found mine by accident when I was actually in hospital with my daughter in Brisbane who has an ongoing lung disease. Not the best news I have ever received but, yes I am happy that it was found.

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago so just had my ovaries left behind. I think that I may be suffering from surgical menopause....hots/colds etc. all I need heading into chemo.

The hysterectomy knocks you around a lot. Prepare yourself for pain and tiredness....having said that I was back at work 10 days later.

We actually live up in Airlie Beach and will travel to Brisbane for treatments....having it done at the mater private...great drs!

So do you do chemo every 3rd week? I don't know till I get down there.

Thank you for replying....it sounds strange but just having someone else tell you how it really is and understand even though you don't know them is really really great!

Thanks and all the best for January..

Jen
  • SamzRusty
    SamzRusty Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

We're part of a really shitty little group, but we're tough too!

Feel free to email whenever you like if it's easier. samtay@****.au

• Jennib
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Sam....
  • Dayna
    Dayna Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jen,

I am also another who was 41 when I found my Grade 3 TNBC. Lumpectomy and Auxillary Clearance followed by Chemo and Radiotherapy.  I had 5 girls at the time 10 months - 8 years and live in Bundaberg.  I only had to travel to Brisbane for my first two Chemos and could have the rest in Bundaberg.  I found eating before Chemo really helped and also I know I probably shouldn't but Coke was the one thing I could drink that tasted ok for the first couple of days, with alternating water and it also helped with my small amount of nausea.  I was petrified for my first Chemo but when it was over I was shocked that I felt quite o.k. and normal.  I don't know what I was expecting. Everyone is different, do you have a Breast Care Nurse in Airlie?  We are blessed with a McGrath Nurse in Bundaberg. What about Radiotherapy?  I am glad you have found this group and BCNA are a wonderful support with loads of resources.  Good news I am 46 now and will be having my five year scans next month.  Be kind to yourself, seek support and vent here anytime. xx 

• JoF
    JoF Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was really nervous before chemo too, but I did learn a few tricks. One is make sure you go for a walk beforehand so that your circulation is working - that will make it much easier for the nurse to find a vein. Lots of water is good too. Chemo is individual. I found it really hard going but a friend of mine going through it now is coping really well. She is very fit. I was overweight and really tired, and I just needed lots of time out. I suffered really bad constipation but as long as I prepared for that (enemas, the right diet) it was okay. Put yourself first; don't plan to do much. It is now two years since my lumpectomy and 20 months since I finished chemo. I didn't think it at the time, but you do get through it and life does return to nearly normal. A big breakthrough for me has been to join Dragons Abreast. I have never done much exercise; now I regularly paddle and whilst still unfit I am improving. We all never thought we would have to go to such dark places. But there are good things that come out of all this. Good luck xx

• JoF
    JoF Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was really nervous before chemo too, but I did learn a few tricks. One is make sure you go for a walk beforehand so that your circulation is working - that will make it much easier for the nurse to find a vein. Lots of water is good too. Chemo is individual. I found it really hard going but a friend of mine going through it now is coping really well. She is very fit. I was overweight and really tired, and I just needed lots of time out. I suffered really bad constipation but as long as I prepared for that (enemas, the right diet) it was okay. Put yourself first; don't plan to do much. It is now two years since my lumpectomy and 20 months since I finished chemo. I didn't think it at the time, but you do get through it and life does return to nearly normal. A big breakthrough for me has been to join Dragons Abreast. I have never done much exercise; now I regularly paddle and whilst still unfit I am improving. We all never thought we would have to go to such dark places. But there are good things that come out of all this. Good luck xx

• Nellie0810
    Nellie0810 Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jen, I was 45 when diagnosed in April this year. I've had a lumpectomy, all 18 nodes removed from left armpit (cancer in two). Had three cycles of 3 weekly FEC and now I am 4 weeks into 12 weekly Taxol treatments. I am one of the lucky ones who has remained functional through chemo. For me it is very much like my pregnancies; weight gain, fluid retention, constipation, nausea, fatigue and weird aches and pains everywhere though not bad enough to really have a big impact on my life. I am working, going out for dinner and seeing friends. My physical symptoms have been quite mild but for me the mental and emotional symptoms are worse. It is such a long journey through treatment and it is hard to wake up every day, look in the mirror at ths fat, bald image, try to find some clothes that fit my swollen figure, put on an itchy hot wig and leave the house feeling positive and confident. I'm on antidepressants but I still need to try hard to keep my mood positive. Jen, I don't want to scare you but for me, it was good reading all the horror stories and then thinking wow, I'm lucky I don't feel that bad! As others have said, it is different for everyone but I hope I have given you anther aspect to prepare for. I am not a very vain person but I underestimated how much my changing looks and size would affect me. Best of luck and I hope you look back on my story and say, wow, it wasn't that bad for me! Xox
  • dmed
    dmed Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wishing you all the best with your journey. Can seem overwhelming at times but we are all here to help. Try to be kind to yourself and ask as many questions as you can to get the help you need. Deb. xxx
  • dmed
    dmed Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wishing you all the best with your journey. Can seem overwhelming at times but we are all here to help. Try to be kind to yourself and ask as many questions as you can to get the help you need. Deb. xxx
  • NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was 46, diagnosed Oct last year, TNBC, same stage as yours, aggressive, but found in time, removed, 15 nodes removed, chemoed, radiated, and in recovery and repair stage.  I look back at all the pictures now of being completely bald, and how I felt at each stage over the months, and think, wow, that went quick.  My hair is growing back, I am thinner than I was, and I feel well.  Just fatigued.  Every fear, every question was controlled, answered and supported on here, and by all the strangers called, medical staff and counsellors.  Dont be shy, ask every one and cry when you feel like it, I did.  We are all different, and we all have our own story...... so take one day at a time.  I still do.  You will get through, like we all have, try to take deep breaths and get ready to make lots of new friends, youve just joined a big club! XX Bel

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was 46, diagnosed Oct last year, TNBC, same stage as yours, aggressive, but found in time, removed, 15 nodes removed, chemoed, radiated, and in recovery and repair stage.  I look back at all the pictures now of being completely bald, and how I felt at each stage over the months, and think, wow, that went quick.  My hair is growing back, I am thinner than I was, and I feel well.  Just fatigued.  Every fear, every question was controlled, answered and supported on here, and by all the strangers called, medical staff and counsellors.  Dont be shy, ask every one and cry when you feel like it, I did.  We are all different, and we all have our own story...... so take one day at a time.  I still do.  You will get through, like we all have, try to take deep breaths and get ready to make lots of new friends, youve just joined a big club! XX Bel

• Jennib
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Bel...seems that being in our fabulous 40's is a bit dangerous....
    Well I start chemo next Wednesday and to be honest am feeling a little freaked out. Was ok up till yesterday and then started thinking about it. Not too concerned about going bald...have too much hair and it may be a nice change. Ha ha....My 13 year old daughter is struggling a little - keeping it all locked up inside. With the TNBC did you have more intensive chemo? I still don't know what regime I will be on....before the knew it was TNBC they said chemo every 3 weeks..then the dr said that was going to change when they found it was TNBC. Does that mean tablets or more iv??? I suppose it is the fear of not knowing.....all will be revealed next week. Thanks for your support! Xx jen
  • Jennib
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Nellie! I suppose I am preparing myself for the worst so that if t is any better than soul destroying I have been a winner!!! Always look on the bright side of life...da da da da da da da da!! chemo starts next week and I am quietly stressing...swimming hard under the surface. I will make it...I have to. What are taxol treatments? Are you in Brisbane? Hope all goes well for you..xx jen
  • Jennib
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks deb.....support is a wonderful thing...this site is such a good place to spill your beans without have to apologize later! Hoping you are doing well with your treatments... Jen
  • SamzRusty
    SamzRusty Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jen,

Give it a couple of weeks & you'll be used to the terminology :)

I was told because of my age (41), being TN & the aggressiveness that yes, I was going to be hit hard with the chemo. I'm on AC (Doxorubicin & Cyclophosphamide) once every 3 weeks for 12 weeks. Then I move onto the Paclitaxel (Taxol) every week for 12 weeks. I was due to have radiation after the chemo 5 days a week for 4 weeks, but I've since tested positive to BRCA 1, so will be skipping the radiation & having a hysterectomy & double reconstructive mastectomy instead :P

Do you have a "Welcome to Chemo" type visit at the hospital before you start? I did a few days before, that 's when they told me the types of chemo, duration & what to expect. My what to expect part wasn't nearly as helpful as the ladies here & I still had a major melt down when the canular went in the 1st time. They also gave me a walk through the chemo ward & I met a few nurses.

As for tablets, you'll be send home with a bag of meds to help prevent the nausea. Keep a record of how you feel day to day. I didn't vomit, but didn't feel great either, on my 2nd dose, they added extra meds to the chemo line that stay in me system for 5 days...worked a treat ;)

Are you having the BRCA tests done?

I'll be thinking about you next Wednesday. Next Friday is my last AC.

Stay strong, Sam xoxox