10 Days In....

Options
SamzRusty
SamzRusty Member Posts: 325
edited July 2013 in Health and wellbeing

Hi Ladies,

Well today is 10 days since I had my 1st dose of chemo, this is what I've learnt....

- I'm not going to worry about how much water I am NOT drinking

- I'm not going to worry about how much food I'm NOT eating

- I'm not going to worry about how much poop I'm NOT doing (gross, I know, but you all know what I mean)

I didn't vomit or even have the urge to, so I'm pretty happy about that. I was back in hospital on day 4 because of dehydration. I was put on a drip & topped up to the point that I thought my hand would spring a leak. My meds are going to be changed so I can get some better sleep next time. My husband I & also misunderstood 1 of my drug instructions, we'll nail that next time too. My mouth is dry & I have a very sore throat, but Biotene & Betadine are working for me.

I'm feeling like my old self again & busting to get out on my bike again ASAP. I'm sure round 2 will be easier now that we know what to expect....it wasn't as bad as I was expecting :)

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey SamThe unknown with the chemo is the hardest to deal with but sounds like you are taking it on the chin and dealing with it with a great support crew of hubby behind you.Do take on board what the chemo nurses suggest as they are old hands at listening to us report back with our side effects.  Obviously as you have found out with your stint in hospital that fluid intake is a big one for staying on top of the chemo side effects as it flushes all the crap out of your system.As you say you are much the wiser going in to chemo 2 but look after yourself precious cause this is the time you need to nurture yourself.  Your bike will be there waiting for you.  Give it a damn good spit and polish while it and you are resting during this tough time and it won't be long before both you and it will have appreciated the extra attention to the bike while you were recuperating.  One thing we have to learn unfortunately and sometimes the hard way as I found myself is patience.  You will get back on that bike but your health is number one right now so please take care of yourself.Lots of love, Mich xoxoxo
  • SamzRusty
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh, I am listening. I'm just not over thinking or over worrying. I'm doing everything I'm being told by my oncology team.

I hope I haven't jinxed myself, but what I was trying to say is that I was expecting to spend the next 6 months in the fetal position. It was really nice to be up cleaning the bathroom & changing the sheets on day 7 :) 

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good for you! Since excess thinking and worrying is not going to change a thing, why go there. I am so glad you have coped so well, and as you say, now you know what to expect - as Mich says, the unknown really is the worst - and I knew you wouldn't end up in the fetal position! You are too much of a fighter for that.Hydration is important - if water tastes vile, try diet ginger beer - it works for the stomach too. Don't want your hand to spring a leak:)Thinking of you - kick it to the kerb!  Michelle xxx
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good for you! Since excess thinking and worrying is not going to change a thing, why go there. I am so glad you have coped so well, and as you say, now you know what to expect - as Mich says, the unknown really is the worst - and I knew you wouldn't end up in the fetal position! You are too much of a fighter for that.Hydration is important - if water tastes vile, try diet ginger beer - it works for the stomach too. Don't want your hand to spring a leak:)Thinking of you - kick it to the kerb!  Michelle xxx
  • Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey SamYou haven't jinxed yourself sweety.  You will be fine.  You are like me and expect the worst and when it isn't as bad as that is a bit of a surprise but a huge bonus.Good on you and enjoy being well.  Some people get through chemo so much easier than others so I have everything crossed you are one of them.Lots of love always, Mich xoxoxo
  • pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello SamxRusty,

It can take a while..quite a while to adjust to all the changes, emotional and physical. Did the oncologist say you may have early menopause? If so are you having flushes etc?  The chemo effect may be harder to fight back, after a few treatments, so try and go with how you are feeling..ie rest and gentle exercise when you feel a bit better. You may feel worse before you feel better. Keep hope alive that the treatment is doing what it is meant to do..

Time passes..so go with it now. Plenty of time to go again later.. I know I wanted to get back to what I normally  I did before Bc, but i think I did too much initially. If I had my time again, I would have taken a year, at least to get over things..

Then again, do you ever get " over it " ? It may be there the rest of your life;  maybe move to the background somewhat, but be a part of who you become afterwards, on your journey through life. The emotions.. denial, shock, sadness, joy, bargaining, anger...acceptance....can be a roller coaster as well.. 

I think I nibbled on ginger nut biscuits at times..homebrand ones..  I did not get too ill on chemotherapy, and my hair " thinned" a lot but did not go completely. The last one I felt a  " queasy " with. 

Treatments are tailored these days, and have probably changed  a bit, since I went through.

Try and do something " nice " each day, even if it is only small...marvel at the winter sunset, listen to a favourite song or music, buy some pretty flowers to appreciate.. try and be calm..if only for a short period.

Keep those fingers crossed.. All the best Kathy. OOXX

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello SamxRusty,

It can take a while..quite a while to adjust to all the changes, emotional and physical. Did the oncologist say you may have early menopause? If so are you having flushes etc?  The chemo effect may be harder to fight back, after a few treatments, so try and go with how you are feeling..ie rest and gentle exercise when you feel a bit better. You may feel worse before you feel better. Keep hope alive that the treatment is doing what it is meant to do..

Time passes..so go with it now. Plenty of time to go again later.. I know I wanted to get back to what I normally  I did before Bc, but i think I did too much initially. If I had my time again, I would have taken a year, at least to get over things..

Then again, do you ever get " over it " ? It may be there the rest of your life;  maybe move to the background somewhat, but be a part of who you become afterwards, on your journey through life. The emotions.. denial, shock, sadness, joy, bargaining, anger...acceptance....can be a roller coaster as well.. 

I think I nibbled on ginger nut biscuits at times..homebrand ones..  I did not get too ill on chemotherapy, and my hair " thinned" a lot but did not go completely. The last one I felt a  " queasy " with. 

Treatments are tailored these days, and have probably changed  a bit, since I went through.

Try and do something " nice " each day, even if it is only small...marvel at the winter sunset, listen to a favourite song or music, buy some pretty flowers to appreciate.. try and be calm..if only for a short period.

Keep those fingers crossed.. All the best Kathy. OOXX

• Cherylek
    Cherylek Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Sam, hope you are feeling better. I agree don't worry about the food or constipation as long as you're drinking something anything that's the main thing. We all react differently to the same chemo drugs and even chemo no. 2 may well be different to chemo no. 1. Especially as your oncologist/oncologist nurse will possibly adjust your pre-meds depending on your feedback you give them regarding side effects.
    I went back to work a week after AC no. 1, looking back now still can't believe I did it. But I felt well enough and I wanted to go back to work. Third day back, I spent the first two hours in the modified duties co-ordinators office crying because I was overtired.
    Any rate best of luck with chemo no. 2, cheers Cheryle :)
  • Cherylek
    Cherylek Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Sam, hope you are feeling better. I agree don't worry about the food or constipation as long as you're drinking something anything that's the main thing. We all react differently to the same chemo drugs and even chemo no. 2 may well be different to chemo no. 1. Especially as your oncologist/oncologist nurse will possibly adjust your pre-meds depending on your feedback you give them regarding side effects.
    I went back to work a week after AC no. 1, looking back now still can't believe I did it. But I felt well enough and I wanted to go back to work. Third day back, I spent the first two hours in the modified duties co-ordinators office crying because I was overtired.
    Any rate best of luck with chemo no. 2, cheers Cheryle :)
  • pacwood
    pacwood Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Sam.

First round is always so scarey. Listen to your own body, eat what you want, drink what you want and do what feels best.

Do drink as much water as possible though it gets rid of those toxins. I found sucking on JOLS (lolly brand) berry flavored fruit pastils helped the dry mouth and tasted good too. Everything else tasted horrid.

xo Christie.

• SamzRusty
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kathy, 

No hot flushes, yet, I've been told to expect them though ;)