wigs part 2

Emma Fulwood
Emma Fulwood Member Posts: 38
edited January 2017 in Health and wellbeing

from last blog:

My bad wig day happened to coincide with the day of my 1st chemo treatment, so of course I was going to be a bit emotional. Back in the shop we decided to get the wig (just in case). When I got home, I put it in the very back of a cupbourd I rarely used. Looking back, I guess for me it was another bit of proof of my BC and treatment.

As it turned out, my head during chemo was far too sore to wear it anyway.  I even had to place my head scarves and beanies on just right so as not to cause too much pain. And the days I went 'naked', I had to be careful of people wanting to pat my bald head!

Towards the end of my treatment, when I finally remembered to pack the wig with me for the trip to Adelaide (from KI), I went back to the 'friendly' wig shop.  Despite the fact the wig had obviously never been worn, still had the tag attached to it, they would not take it back due to "health reasons". I pointed out that health reasons did't prevent me, or anyone else) from trying on hundreds of wigs before purchase.  Alas! to no avail.

I have donated my very expensive, just -like -real -hair wig to our local support group to be available to go out to our community members looking for a wig. The use is free, just needs to come back washed & clean. (currently out on loan)

note: Always look for the positive.

Comments

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015

Hi Emma

I read your post about the wig in shock horror at the shop's heartless attitude. I was so lucky that our local hospital has a free wig library and you can loan out wigs swap them if you want a change of style and are supplied with shampoo and conditioner to keep it clean. You just give it back when you are finished. your donation to your community will be invalualble. It must feel good!

• Emma Fulwood
    edited March 2015

Hi Sarah 51,

Thank you for your heart-felt concern. It does feel good that in some way I can take the possible trauma of wigs out of the equation for some women. On KI, as far as I know, there is no wig supply at all.  I have also made other head attire - soft head scarves available also. Unfortunately, my local support group does not advertise this.  So I just keep my ears open and now that I have a much better open dialogue with the local health service, this info can be passed on the patients direct.

As I said, you just have to look for the positives...

• joleeh5
    joleeh5 Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2015

Hmmmmm Emma I fear that this is what is going to happen to me. I went on saturday and looked ridiculous like some crazy old lady that you see at the shops and think thats a wig...My daughter laughed and said maybe you should stick to scarves..

Am going to the city on Thursday and hope that it will be more productive but had not considered the sore head. I must say that I couldnt wait to rip the thing off my head the other day...

I am sure that many ladies are now very grateful for your contribution especially as it was so expensive and obviously good quality.

Thanks for sharing Emma Love Jo xoxox

• Anabel
    Anabel Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015

Hi Ladies

I am about to look for a wig myself, this does not sound like it is going to be easy?? I feel a little concerned that my hair will disappear and I just won't be ready for it. No one has mentioned my head will be sore. I thought I was already on information overload but had not heard this.

Can anyone recommend some good online stores for scarves and bandanas etc?? My chemo starts on the 23/11/2010. 

Thank you Anabel xx

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

Hi Anabel -- just wanted to let you know that if you can also go back and find 'old' conversations about wigs (in addition to anything new someone might give you), through the 'search' function.  Just scroll up to the top of the page and type 'wigs' into the search box at top right, just below the green 'login' button. 

Here's a link to the search results I got: http://www.bcna.org.au/search/node/wigs.  Each result has a tag at the far right that indicates whether it is a blog post, or a page in the website, or something mentioned in a group. For this one, all the blog posts are up the top and the pages are at the end (on page 3).   Hope that helps. :)

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015

Hi Anabel

From one who has been bald for a while, my head was only sore before all my hair fell out, once my hubby gave me a gentle clip it was fine. I spend most of the day with a bare head it's just too hot to cover up. When I go out depending on where  I am going I either wear my wig which I was given by our wig library and is so like my real hair loads of people have no idea. I bought one of those false fringes on elastic which they showed us at "Look Good Feel Better" and put  it on under a bandana looks pretty good. You lose that total bare forehead look. I was having a hard time finding cotton bandana type head wear and luckily in one of the bandanas from the hospital hat library had a website in it www.headcovers.com it's in the USA but it is amazing, with our dollar being very favourable I bought 4 hats/bandanas as it was under $60 the postage was only $10 and all arrived in 2 weeks wrapped in tissue paper  with a pink breast cancer ribbon on it. I am epecially pleased with the visor bandana as it comes right down over my whole head it's all cotton and can wear it with just my bristly bald head under it and looks great. Have a look you'll be amazed.

PS My hair starting falling out around 16 days after my first chemo it is distressing especially when you wash it in the shower, good idea is to have it cut short.

Good luck with your chemo and hat hunting!!

• Anabel
    edited March 2015

Hi Sarah

Just had a good look at the Headcovers site and it looks great. Some lovely scarves. I am sure I will find a few things to suit me. I just want to be prepared so I don't panic when the time comes.

Thank you so much for your help. Anabel

• Anabel
    edited March 2015

Hi Sarah

Just had a good look at the Headcovers site and it looks great. Some lovely scarves. I am sure I will find a few things to suit me. I just want to be prepared so I don't panic when the time comes.

Thank you so much for your help. Anabel

• Emma Fulwood
    edited March 2015

Oh boy! I didn't mean to frighten anyone! I posted my blog, wishing I had the experiences of some others I read about (as pointed out by Di and her link above) but also to give another take on the possible downsinde. This was only my story, and everyone's journey is always different, sometimes similar, but rarely exactly the same.

All I can say to those concerned about getting a wig is....if in doubt, leave it out. and when in need, you'll find one (couldn't rhyme that one!).

good luck hunting everyone and if you get the chance to go to a Look-Good-Feel-Better workshop, do it.  It's great.

love always,

Emmaxo

• Emma Fulwood
    edited March 2015

ps, I thought I'd be ok with my hair falling out. Thought I was prepared and all, but all I can say, is that when it began, despite the 'knowing' it would, it was still a shock.  I think too, because it was just out of my control.

My Dad was the one that calmed me down. He said, "at least you know the chemo is working". That was one way of looking at it. He figured if the side-efffects were happening like the doctors said they might, then something must be working how it should be. I took this as my positive side to the fact that I was probably going to be as bald as a badger! and hey...Sinead O'conner was very sexy bald too.

• Emma Fulwood
    edited March 2015

ps, I thought I'd be ok with my hair falling out. Thought I was prepared and all, but all I can say, is that when it began, despite the 'knowing' it would, it was still a shock.  I think too, because it was just out of my control.

My Dad was the one that calmed me down. He said, "at least you know the chemo is working". That was one way of looking at it. He figured if the side-efffects were happening like the doctors said they might, then something must be working how it should be. I took this as my positive side to the fact that I was probably going to be as bald as a badger! and hey...Sinead O'conner was very sexy bald too.

• Anabel
    edited March 2015

No you didn't scare me anymore than I am already feeling. However at the moment I am still smiling. I ordered some lovely scarves this morning and can't wait until they arrive. Shopping was always a fun pass time for me and boy am I glad we can do so much online, no need to go out at all if I don't feel like it. 

I am going to look at some wigs with my sister on Saturday however I have already decided that if I don't like any them I won't be rushed either. If I have to wear scarves only, then so be it. 

I like to read everyone's experiences as it helps with the unknown.  

Thank you to everyone who sent messages. Anabel

• Anabel
    edited March 2015

No you didn't scare me anymore than I am already feeling. However at the moment I am still smiling. I ordered some lovely scarves this morning and can't wait until they arrive. Shopping was always a fun pass time for me and boy am I glad we can do so much online, no need to go out at all if I don't feel like it. 

I am going to look at some wigs with my sister on Saturday however I have already decided that if I don't like any them I won't be rushed either. If I have to wear scarves only, then so be it. 

I like to read everyone's experiences as it helps with the unknown.  

Thank you to everyone who sent messages. Anabel

• joleeh5
    joleeh5 Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2015

I agree Emma...Information is power and I want to be fully informed of the pitfalls. I appreciate everyone taking the time to share. I have been clinging on to your Dads wise words of "at least you know its working" and declined to look at the much reported cold cap as I WANT to know its working by having my hair fall out. Thanks Jo xoxox

• Emma Fulwood
    edited March 2015

Thanks Jo & Anabel,

You have calmed my fears. Thank you so much. Even 6yrs on, I'm finding out new things, and you have all helped me to express things I haven't really been able to before.

I love shopping on line.. no crowds, no pushing, no stares .. I agree.

Have a great girlie day out with your sister, Anabel! Have fun with it all, afterall, it's not every day we get to see what we look like a completely new hair-do!

I have only heard of 1 woman using the cold cap, Jo, and it didn't 'work for her. it felt a little better during those hot flushes, tho!

I remember getting a few 'power surges' and being able to just douse my head with water, shake, and wahlah! cool, dry and not looking like a drowned rat!

Again, thanx to all you lovely ladies, and good luck with everything. I'm happy to answer any questions now I know no offence will be taken.

Lotsa luv,

Emmaxo