Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Reflections of 2012

Options
Celbird
Celbird Member Posts: 680
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer
Well reflections of 2012...what I can I say? 27 doses of chemotherapy, a bald head, countless needles, tests, scans, hospital admissions...every part of my body poked and prodded to keep me here...and IT WORKED thank God! :D

I wont lie, it ...has been a tough year...my lowest point was when the first chemo I tried didn't work :( ....the cancer very quickly became resistant to this "chemo of choice" and things were looking grim. I was told to get my "affairs in order" as I may be in "deep trouble". The cancer spread quickly and widely from my lungs to my bones, totally surprising my treatment team and shocking me and my family. My treatment was the subject of multiple case conferences as my medical team quickly worked out what the next step for me would be... I was referred to the Palliative Care service "just in case".

So in came a new chemo for me...I call him Mr V! No-one knew whether this chemo would work, but thankfully, Mr V saved my life...at least for now anyway ?

This year, Mr V allowed me to continue to be a mum...to see my daughter get braces, start and complete her first year in high school, cuddle her and support her. He has let me be around while my baby sister celebrated her 40th birthday in Bankok, and even allowed me to buy a lovely new black car! Mr V encouraged me to officially adopt Ranga, a lovable orange tabby cat who was abandoned by his owners 3 doors up, and had been homeless and eating out of bins for a long time. He also let me help out a Cat Rescue and Adoption Service by assisting my sister to foster 3 beautiful kittens who had been living in a letterbox. Mr V enabled me to follow my dream which was to continue going to uni in 2012, albeit on a very part-time basis. He also allowed me to spend quality time with family, friends and my furbabies...the greatest gift that is never taken for granted. Mr V has allowed me to take walks along the beach, go shopping and meet and make friends at the Adelaide Breast Cancer Friendship Group, a group I set up to support women with breast cancer. In summary, Mr V has enabled me to wake up every morning in 2012, and for that I am truly grateful.

As for 2013...who knows what it has in store for me? I don't know for sure, but what I do know is that each day for me is a gift, and I try to smile more, laugh more and when I hug those I love, I hang on just a little bit tighter ?

Happy New Year my fellow pink warriors!...May this new year bring you much healing, good health and happiness! xx

Comments

• Celbird
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Tonya. Wishing you good health and happiness throughout 2013! ?

• Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dear Celeste,

Your post made me smile and tear up at the same time - what a wild ride we embark on, the ABC roller coaster. But you are right; we should really delight in the time we have, rather that be sad about what we may miss. I hope Mr. V continues to work magic for you but remember, we can have many "lovers".

Best wishes for 2013.....   Pam

• Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dear Celeste,

Your post made me smile and tear up at the same time - what a wild ride we embark on, the ABC roller coaster. But you are right; we should really delight in the time we have, rather that be sad about what we may miss. I hope Mr. V continues to work magic for you but remember, we can have many "lovers".

Best wishes for 2013.....   Pam

• Celbird
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Pam, yes indeed you are right...we may have many "lovers"...but until then, I delight in having Mr V by my side!

All the best for 2013, Celeste ?

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Celeste, fingers and toes crossed for you in 2013, ( and me too. )

You have reminded me of the important things in life.... again.

It can be easy to forget them and be complacent. Enjoy the moments.

What are you studying at Uni? I just became a grandmother for the first time in October 2012.

In 2013, I think I would like to do a bit of travel again, on my own if necessary. I would like to see the Red centre B 4 I leave this world. I might contact the Bosom Buddies in Alice Springs before going. I am sure there are some nice people among them. It would be good to catch up with a few of them.  I wonder if anyone else out there wants to go, a short trip, not too expensive, but comfortable?

Kathy OOXX

• Celbird
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Leonie xx. Yes we do live in gratitude, don't we? Every day is a gift ?

• Celbird
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI Kathy, thanks for your best wishes xx. I hope 2013 is a happy and healthy year for you too! Congratulations on becoming a grandmother!..how exciting! I am studying Social Work at uni...I am in my 3rd year (out of a 4 year degree.....fingers crossed I can finish it one day!). Yes some travel sounds nice doesnt it? The Red Centre would be hot but beautiful! Are you anywhere near the bush fires in Tassie? Hope you are well xx

• chipmunk
    chipmunk Member Posts: 280
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Celeste

Great to hear that Mr V has helped you see 2012, through good times and bad.

I hope and know that 2013 and many years to come will be great for you and all of us.

life is just so precious

Keep on smiling and health and happiness follows you.

Love Julie XX

• Celbird
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Julie, yes life is just so precious and I wish you also a happy and healthy 2013 xx

• Celbird
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Julie, yes life is just so precious and I wish you also a happy and healthy 2013 xx

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

New pic looks good.. I was just browsing and came across your comments. First let me say, I love the writing, you express things so well. Good luck with Social Work studies. My daughter did that. It takes a certain type to be able to do it. My daughter is one of those people. I reckon you would be too.

No ,I was not near the fires. They were in the South; I am in the North, though we had a few days of smokiness. Oh  I love summer, especially the dry, hot WA and SA weather. It reminds me of holidays to Adelaide, as a child, at Xmas.

The Autumn colours have been lovely here. I have put on a few more layers and socks and slippers. I recently did a road trip to Hobart and then up the East coast and back home to Scottsdale. Only stayed away one night. It was good, as I love to see new things and people.

Cheers, Kathy.

Photos are :1.  View to the sea from my unit.. On a clear day, you can see the sea.

2. My rented garden, I did from scratch, in Spring 3. Lovely blue hydrangea.4. Red grapes I grew !