Options
2»

Comments

• newbie12
    newbie12 Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think the kim walters program have awig hire service -what do look for in a wig, how do you look after it, what are the alternatives it will be the height of summer during my treatment.

• louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

The Cancer Council have a wig hire service.  They have all different styles and lengths, so you can choose one similar to your own hairstyle or something completely different!  Soft cotton caps worn under the wig can reduce the itchiness and sweating (the cancer council may be able to help you source these).  I used to just brush mine and wash it about once per week with Baby shampoo.....it's pretty easy!

The alternatives to a wig would be scarves or bandanas or nothing at all!

Good luck,

Louise

• newbie12
    edited March 2015
    Options

thanks for the info louise will check them out.

majella

• Enjo
    Enjo Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My mum has been a volunteer in the cancer council wig library for many years. Another option is to buy a wig from Wigs On Wheels (0431 883 968).
    I'm probably starting chemo in the new year, currently waiting on pathology results after surgery. I have just ordered some hats from www.beauxchapeauxheadwear.com.au. Hope you find an option that suits you. Jo
  • newbie12
    edited March 2015
    Options

thanks jo, I'm building a list of sites to check out in the new year. If you're in brisbane I might even run into you - I'm sure there are better clubs to have joined, but here we all are.

cheers majella

• jfimp
    jfimp Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi newbie 12

I have been stalking these blogs for days, on again off again as my diagnosis changes. Started with weird calcification, then vacuum assisted biopsy, then DCIS - yes it in breast cancer when you are explaining to your husband I was told, then lumpectomy, then whoops it is way bigger than imaging showed now waiting for MX or BMX, just found out it will be way longer to the surgery because of the holidays. So like you I am a teacher but I had finished my report cards, missed the last week at school with the kids though. I managed to go in on the party day but my stomach was churning, I am usually pretty strong about stuff but not so much with BC. I live in Brisbane.

• paulag
    paulag Member Posts: 98
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi. I live in Bunbury. Had a mastectomy in September and have my second last chemo tomorrow. Then will have 5 weeks of radiation. Yes life is not the same and never will be. But we are all here!! It is very treatable and beatable. Even the old triple negative type that I have. All of you ladies are strong and wonderful. Just keep powering on!! X
  • paulag
    paulag Member Posts: 98
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi. I live in Bunbury. Had a mastectomy in September and have my second last chemo tomorrow. Then will have 5 weeks of radiation. Yes life is not the same and never will be. But we are all here!! It is very treatable and beatable. Even the old triple negative type that I have. All of you ladies are strong and wonderful. Just keep powering on!! X
  • eminem
    eminem Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options

All you ladies are so brave! When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer all I wanted to do is b where I am today. Past all the horrible treatment and have my hair back again. And here I am, right where i want to be. I took many photos of my bruised chest, my burnt chest, my shaved head, my funny eyebrows. Now I look back with admiration for that girl and what she went through. I'm very proud of her and i'm very proud to say she is me. No matter how bad it seems you will get through it. You will fight it. I was 29 with a 2 year old daughter when I was diagnosed in May 2011. Completely shattered would be putting it mildly. Now i'm 31, my daughter is 4 and I have a short bob like hair do. Apart from another year of hormone treatment all my treatment is finished. But I still get scared sometimes. I'm always feeling for lumps and I'm more than anxious waiting for the results of my yearly mammogram and ultrasound.

Good luck to you all, you'll be amazed at your own inner strenght. I know I was.

• eminem
    edited March 2015
    Options

All you ladies are so brave! When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer all I wanted to do is b where I am today. Past all the horrible treatment and have my hair back again. And here I am, right where i want to be. I took many photos of my bruised chest, my burnt chest, my shaved head, my funny eyebrows. Now I look back with admiration for that girl and what she went through. I'm very proud of her and i'm very proud to say she is me. No matter how bad it seems you will get through it. You will fight it. I was 29 with a 2 year old daughter when I was diagnosed in May 2011. Completely shattered would be putting it mildly. Now i'm 31, my daughter is 4 and I have a short bob like hair do. Apart from another year of hormone treatment all my treatment is finished. But I still get scared sometimes. I'm always feeling for lumps and I'm more than anxious waiting for the results of my yearly mammogram and ultrasound.

Good luck to you all, you'll be amazed at your own inner strenght. I know I was.

• eminem
    edited March 2015
    Options

• newbie12
    edited March 2015
    Options

thanks eminem, that is really comforting.