Hi there!

Options
pppbmr
pppbmr Member Posts: 29
edited October 2010 in Social Groups

I think it will be great to have a group of like-minded people to 'talk' to about our unique situations.

Comments

• pppbmr
    edited March 2015
    Options

Me too! What church do you go to?
    Prue

• PinkGilly
    PinkGilly Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm in Canberra and go to New Life Presbyterian church - how about you?

• pppbmr
    edited March 2015
    Options

And belong to Shirelive. Great church. They girls in my home group were so good to me when I was going through chemo. They brought me food and took me to the hospital for treatment etc.,

• PinkGilly
    edited March 2015
    Options

My son lives there. I have three children.  I had my two year check up with the oncologist yesterday - all good but I was still nervous beforehand. Have you heard of the book Dear God It's Cancer by Janet Thompson? It was given to me by a girlfriend and was an absolute Godsend! It has relevant scripture, prayers, stories from Christian women for every part of the breast cancer journey. It was a huge encouragement and allayed many of my fears.

• PinkGilly
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Merrila!

It does seem so unreal - even now after 2 years I still get surprised when I take my bra off and my breast goes with it!!!! I hope you have "My Journey " kit as this really helped me remember things about my treatment plus I'd write my questions down whenever they sprung to mind so I could ask the surgeon or oncologist when I saw them. Do you have access to a breast care nurse? Also the book I mentioned previously was fantastic. I don't know how many times I read a chapter and it was exactly what I needed at that time. Prayer makes such a huge difference and I felt so supported. Will pray for your visit to the surgeon. Please feel free to post any questions or send a private message.

• Merilla
    Merilla Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thankyou so much, it is so encouraging to hear your words & know that I am not alone. I dont have a breast care nurse at this stage but I guess that will happen?? I am waiting for my journey kit & sounds very helpful...also I will seek out that book you mentioned & presume koorong would carry it. I do have great support from family & friends & some amazing prayer warriors but its strange to still feel so alone inside. I know I need to draw nearer to God, he really is our strength, I guess I have felt very prayerless...seem to just be saying "help me prayers"  I do understand from reading comments that I wont always feel like this & emotions are normal.

Anyway thanks again PinkGilly & I will ley you know what the surgeon says when I see him tomorrow.

• pppbmr
    edited March 2015
    Options

So sorry you have had to join this 'club'. Yes emotions are normal and after four years I still think 'did that really happen'? I have had lots of operations (including reconstruction), chemo and radiotherapy. No need going into it all until you know what you are dealing with. Everyone's story is slightly different. Please keep in touch with us as you find more out. And yes keep praying. I stood on the verse in Phillippians "The Joy of the Lord is my Strength" and every day I thanked God for the good things in my life (and still do). My mobile number is on here so call me if you need to. And the Breast Care Nurses are fantastic! Make use of them, seek them out if needed. They came to some of my appointments with me. We will 'talk' tomorrow night. God Bless and we are praying for you.

• eevers
    eevers Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, just starting my journey, but was thrilled to find this site. Feel very much that this isn't really happening but know the Lord has a plan and purpose in it.

• pppbmr
    edited March 2015
    Options

Keep in touch and let us know what's happening.

Blessings

Prue

• PinkGilly
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for sharing this scripture - it is a great reminder to take one day at a time trusting in God. I too greatly appreciated the zonta breast pillow and the breast care nurse was fabulous. 

• PinkGilly
    edited March 2015
    Options

Prayer certainly sustained, encouraged, lifted me up during treatment. So many people were praying for me which helped me to tolerate the chemo, in fact the only side effect was sleepless nights when I was on a high thanks to the anti-nausea drugs so spent the time journalling, talking to God. I came up with lots of crazy ideas during this time as you can see from my profile photo and felt so close to God. We have a fantastic organisation called bosom buddies in Canberra and I contacted them and was given a buddy who was fantastic, answering all my questions, visiting me. It made a huge difference talking to people who'd been there and I've met two Christian ladies and regularly catch up for coffee. How do you find being on tamoxifen?

• PinkGilly
    edited March 2015
    Options

Prayer certainly sustained, encouraged, lifted me up during treatment. So many people were praying for me which helped me to tolerate the chemo, in fact the only side effect was sleepless nights when I was on a high thanks to the anti-nausea drugs so spent the time journalling, talking to God. I came up with lots of crazy ideas during this time as you can see from my profile photo and felt so close to God. We have a fantastic organisation called bosom buddies in Canberra and I contacted them and was given a buddy who was fantastic, answering all my questions, visiting me. It made a huge difference talking to people who'd been there and I've met two Christian ladies and regularly catch up for coffee. How do you find being on tamoxifen?

• PinkGilly
    edited March 2015
    Options

• pppbmr
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I know you were writing to memyselfI but I am on it too and I hate it. It made me fat and so hot all the time! It is so embarrassing at work; I will be in a big meeting and suddenly go bright red! I can't take my jacket off so just have to sit there and pretend it's not happening. I have been on it 3 1/2 years now so only 18 months to go. The good thing though is have started jogging to get my weight down and I am very happy with that as I feel healthier. I initially started walking and did that for 2 1/2 years but just felt the desire to run! I tried the gym for 12 months but I just kept getting fatter and fatter. I have been jogging for 12 months and love it! So if I hadn't been on Tamoxifen I probably wouldn't have started running...

Actually I have never done any exercise for my whole life and started at the age of 45! I am very happy to be excercising. Also I read a fantastic book 'Anticancer' - it is very interesting, about how inflammation in the body sets us up to have cancers and about the immune system. I really recommend it.

• memyselfI
    memyselfI Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh dear not good news about Tamoxifen putting on weight. Had just lost 7 or so kilos as am getting older & didn't want to be aiming for diabetes etc. So far am just manging to get the weepies under control. I do walk daily (and pray as I walk with my sister) Don't think jogging will work for me with the arthritis I stopped jogging about 10 years ago cos my joints were too sore.

Oh the wonderful thing about being a Christian is salvation of course but also the "extra benefit" of getting a new body, no other faith has such a great extra offer.This body had already had bowel cancer 9.5yrs ago, now breast cancer. Still I must focus on the eternal life bit that's more renewing.

Blessings