Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Well...crap

Options
2»

Comments

• pennyy
    pennyy Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks ladies, the Thursday girls sounds like a goer, although until this week, I too worked on Thursday's!

The Facebook page sounds like a good idea, what's it called??

Penny
  • pennyy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks ladies, the Thursday girls sounds like a goer, although until this week, I too worked on Thursday's!

The Facebook page sounds like a good idea, what's it called??

Penny
  • MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

https://www.facebook.com/groups/256824651085503/

Penny - the group is Private - you can request to join and I or the other administrator Sam will send an email to check you are legitimate (that is our standare procedure) and then we can add you.  

Here is the information on the Thursday Girls.  Feel free to contact me privately if you want a little more information.

The Thursday Girls: Group for Metastatic Breast Cancer

Supportive, expressive psychotherapy group 
    Located: Salvation Army Centre Box Hill, 17 Nelson St Box Hill
    Facilitated by: Christine Hill and Fiona McDermott
    When: Thursday mornings 9.15-10.30am and members stay for a cuppa after the group
    Time frame: Ongoing 
    Cost: Free
    Contact:  Christine Hill on 0411 556 205, or Fiona McDermott on 0413 836 284 

Amanda x

• pennyy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for that, I will definitely keep it in mind
  • pennyy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Amanda, I have just tried to join the FB group. I thought it would let me send a message to administrators but it didn't, my FB name is penny young
  • MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Penny - I've added you to the group. :-)
    Amanda
  • helen anne
    helen anne Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm so glad you found each other and can hook up via the facebook group or Thursday girls (if you choose to join it Pen).

I'm going to create the "Easties" group tonight - simply ran out of time the other day so I hope to see you both joining.

Take care you two.

Luv Helen

• pennyy
    edited March 2015
    Options

thanks Helen, that would be good

Penny

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Penny,

I just wanted to jump and send some more positive energy your way (it looks like you have a lot around you though) and I hope that you got through your first Chemo okay on Monday?

I wanted to add to Amanda's comment about connecting with others who have secondary bc and give you some links:

I think your friend was right to keep blogging about your experiences and I only hope you can take strength from this support.

~Daina

• pennyy
    edited March 2015
    Options

I know it's not nice to say I'm glad other people have lung mets, but it is comforting to me.  I was HER2 negative, so no herceptin for me.  I'm taking a combination of carboplactin and gemcitabene (or something like that).  I've had a bothersome cough for about 8 weeks now, that is really bringing me down as the coughing leads to shortness of breath and means I really can't do very much at all.  Am hoping the chemo kicks in sooner rather than later and breathing and no coughing will become my normal.

chemo wasn't too bad on Monday, although they did an ultrasound to check the fluid levels on my lungs and drained 600 ml from the right side, so I had to stay overnight.

I keep thinking I should write a post on all the stupid reasons I got breast cancer in the first place, and now a follow up on stupid reasons I got secondaries!!

How often are you having chemo??  good that its working,

good luck

Penny

• helen anne
    helen anne Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Pen!

Good to hear the chemo is starting wasn't too bad.  I so totally understand how you feel about being comforted about others having lung mets. 

Although I don't have mets I can understand how you feel about this.  For me I can relate this to the first time I showed up to chemo as an outpatient - I was surprised and shocked at how many other people were waiting in line (so to speak) but also comforted because I didn't feel alone.

I believe this is how you're feeling about connecting with others with mets.

And while some of us don't have it, I do hope you'll still keep in touch darl as I really want to keep track of you and hopefully meet up for coffee and a chat.

Where are you having chemo?  If it's at Box Hill it's a breeze for me to get there but I'm happy to travel to meet you.....have you joined the Effervescent Easties yet?  Sorry you ended up staying overnight but at least all that yukky fluid got drained - you must be feeling better for that.

You take care

luv Helen

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Penny, great to hear you got off to a good start with the chemo. How often do you need to have chemo? I have chemo 2 weeks on and then one week off. The cough and shortness of breath sounds very debilitating! :( I'm glad they managed to drain the fluid from your lung...hopefully that will help with your cough and breathing. Keep in touch Penny, take care Celeste?

• janet_s
    janet_s Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

So sorry to hear your news, but glad to hear that you're keeping a positive outlook! Keep on being the strong woman that you are and find ways to laugh in spite of it all.

Sending positive thoughts your way,

Janet