First Timer

Options
lisaf78
lisaf78 Member Posts: 5

Hi All,

This is my first visit to the Breast Cancer website. I have joined in support of my good friend, who has been diagnosed for the second time.

I feel extremely inspired by all of these women and their strength through what I can only imagine as, the hardest, most challenging time in their lives.

I would love to "meet" anybody that is dealing with breast cancer or any ladies that are supporting a friend through this tough time.

Lisa xxx

Comments

• Shazinoz
    Shazinoz Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good on you for supporting your friend during this time. it really means a lot to us when we have a support network, and family and firends who support us (or it does to me ?).

I have breast cancer (diagnosed 22/12/11 at age 40) and am currently undergoing chemo (have had a mastectomy and reconstruction, and am having other breast off later this year). I am awaiting my genetics appointment on 01/08 to see if I an gene positive (I have BC on both sides of my family).

Know that anything you do to support your friend is a good thing.

And sometimes the simplest things make the biggest difference. being there, listening, dropping over a meal (that isn't spag bol ?), help shopping, looking after the kids (if she has any), and a coffee and cake away from home and medical stuff not talking about cancer can be the biggest help.

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good on you Lisa for being there for your friend.  She is so blessed to have you.  Also welcome to the website.  If you have any questions you need to ask then please ask away.

I have a couple of very precious friends but unfortunately they aren't just around the corner for me to call on them and for them to be there for me when I need them.  I am able to stay in contact by email and phone and they are such wonderful support for me.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer November 2011 and currently going through chemo and will start 7 weeks of radiotherapy mid July.

All I can suggest is that you be a shoulder for your friend to cry on, an ear to listen to and not lecture her or judge her, someone to bring her meals, shop for her, help her around the house, organise someone to do ironing and all of those lil things that as women really get on top of us if it isn't all done and organised.  Also as Shaz says all those other important things that need to be done.  Please ensure you don't take on the whole load yourself, delegate to her family and friends so that you don't become overwhelmed by it all.  Be there for her but not at the risk of your own health and life. 

I have found one thing I struggle with is if I tell someone I have a sore back or a this or a that.  People will cut me off half way through my sentence to tell me how sore their back is or whatever.  I do feel like saying sometime BUT at least you not going through cancer. 

There will be times when your friend may struggle to hold a conversation and if that is the case just enjoy the silence.  Sometimes she will just want to be alone in her own misery and that isn't a bad thing as long as it isn't all the time.  Sometimes she will have days where she will just want to sleep.  Other days she may have a melt down.  Unfortutunately it is all part of the course of this horrible disease and journey we have to travel.  Some people cope better than others so I wish for both you and your friend that your friend is a lucky one.

Good luck and take care.

Mich xoxo

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good on you for joining this network in support of your friend. Has your friend found this site too? 

I have great friends who support me thru my battle of breast cancer, however they are not on this site. Happy to put you in contact in other ways... 

Where abouts are you from?

I would write longer etc, but Im very tired today. But wanted to comment on this post as I think you are doing a terrific thing, for you and your friend... 

• lisaf78
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am very lucky to only be a suburb away from my friend. We went to primary and high school together, so have known each other for about 25 years now.

We are both from Adelaide.

Lisa xxx

• lisaf78
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am very lucky to only be a suburb away from my friend. We went to primary and high school together, so have known each other for about 25 years now.

We are both from Adelaide.

Lisa xxx

• sillysam83
    edited March 2015
    Options

I do know there is a support group in Adelaide - thru this page. 

Wish you all the luck 

• sillysam83
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wish you all the luck 

• sillysam83
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wish you all the luck 

• Shilo1978
    Shilo1978 Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi All, tis me that my dear friend Lisa is referring to and I am so proud and lucky to have such a beautiful friend to support me through this journey. Thank you to all for welcoming her and everything I read that is suggested to support my dear friend is sooooo true, especially not taking this all on by herself. Thank you Lisa, forever in my heart and life xox Hoping everyone is feeling good today. Love to you all xox

• Shilo1978
    Shilo1978 Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi All, tis me that my dear friend Lisa is referring to and I am so proud and lucky to have such a beautiful friend to support me through this journey. Thank you to all for welcoming her and everything I read that is suggested to support my dear friend is sooooo true, especially not taking this all on by herself. Thank you Lisa, forever in my heart and life xox Hoping everyone is feeling good today. Love to you all xox

• Tania67
    Tania67 Member Posts: 112
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lisa,

I met Laura and Jason on Sat nite and she spoke very lovingly of you. Good on you for getting on here and finding ways to help her. Just doing what you have done would have helped her so much already. I hope to meet you one day

Tania xxx

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lisa, it's great to have you here.  Consider yourself 'met'!  :D

Feel free to blog as much as you like -- everyone's stories are very welcome here.

Di

• lisaf78
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Di. Everyone's been so lovely in welcoming me!

xxx

• Annie Gayed
    Annie Gayed Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lisa

What a wonderful friend you are to be providing support in time of need. BCNA has a brochure which provides some information on helping a friend diagnosed with breast cancer.

It's available here, or you can give us a buzz (free call 1800 500 258) and we'll send you a copy.

All the best to you both

Annie

• lisaf78
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Julie!

So far everyone has been extremely welcoming. Seems like a great place to get info and to blog our feelings.

My friend has a lot of support through this and we are all looking forward to what lies ahead once this is all over ie. she and her partner are going to start a family :-)

We are both from Adelaide and have been friends since she moved here from Melbourne when we were in year 4 (25 years ago).

Thanks for saying hi!!

Lisa