I have breast cancer

Options

Comments

• justtrina
    justtrina Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Vicki

Good luck for tomorrow... thinking of you. A hint for tomorrow about those veins... it will be easier for the nurse if you are hydrated... so drink a couple of glasses of water before you go and have another while you're waiting. Secondly... close your eyes, take calming breaths and go to your happy place whilst he/she is doing it.. I find that works all the time. (My son has a bleeding disorder and we have to put medication in his veins three times a week..him being hydrated is the key for us)

take care

Trina

• Tania67
    Tania67 Member Posts: 112
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Vicki

That is exactly was I was scared of and low and behold it happened!!! What I did learn was to try and drink a lot of water before hand. Hydration helps them find a vain. Infact that is what you will really need to concentrate on from here on. Keep the fluids flowing

Good luck XX

• vickifletcher21
    vickifletcher21 Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Guys, well I rocked up to the chemo lounge on the 25th feeling fine thanks to those pills they give you to relax. The BC nurse Bronwyn wanted to look at my incision first as I've been having some fluid build up, she took a photo and sent it to my surgeon. The chemo nurse looked at my veins and said they are small and deep- ah yeah! I've been telling anyone that would listen that, I turn around to find the head sister of the chemo ward looking at my veins and she said, no we need a port inserted. Yah! That's what I wanted all along especially since they can only use my right arm now thanks to those pesky lymph nodes on my left side being invaded with cancer. Mean while the surgeon text back saying give the healing process another week. So I'm booked in for a port insertion and 1st round of chemo on the 2nd of July. Love vicki
  • TrishMLDB
    TrishMLDB Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I will be thinking of you Monday Vicki

I was wondering how long people had their axiallary drains ...mine has been in. 11 days , still 100mls+ day. It is very painful .Not looking forward to weeks of it.

Can anyone say if they let you request a port ? Or they make the decision - If they can only use one arm ?
  • justtrina
    edited March 2015
    Options

Trish... I was offerred one... just tell your surgeon that you want one... I'm sure it's much easier for both you and the nurses doing the treatment...

• justtrina
    edited March 2015
    Options

Trish... I was offerred one... just tell your surgeon that you want one... I'm sure it's much easier for both you and the nurses doing the treatment...

• TrishMLDB
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Justtrina I will see what they say .
  • TrishMLDB
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Justtrina I will see what they say .
  • vickifletcher21
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Trish, I had my drain for about 3 weeks when they took it out, the out put was under 30mls. However it was blocked, we knew this because of what rushed out once the tube come out. It then backed up into my boob and had to be aspirated. So try to be patient even though it does get really sore and makes moving painfully. And life annoying. Love Vicki
  • vickifletcher21
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi girls, glad to say I'm now day 3 post chemo. I got my temporary silicone implant out Saturday as it was infected hence the blocked drain and the wound was starting to split. The port went in Monday and the same day I had my first roun of chemo. I have a new drain in from saturdys op, which should come out today. Chemo so far has only given me trouble on the first day, headache from hell, nausea, reflux and throwing up. But so far yesterday and today have been great. Love Vick
  • krause
    krause Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hang in there, remember chemo is only for a period of time in your life.  And once you're through it, you'll realise how much of a trully strong person you were...

Live and love the OK days.

Take care,

Krause

• TrishMLDB
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did ask my surgeon for a port and I am booked in for insertion next week, before I see Chemo Oncologist . Looks like I will be having Hercepton following Chemo so port definitely will be easier .

Drain still here and staying at moment but I'll survive :)
  • vickifletcher21
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Trish how is the port working out for you, and I trust the drain is out now. I had my second round of chemo yesterday with little to no side effects, just tired but I can deal with that.
    Love Vicki

• TrishMLDB
    edited March 2015
    Options

Glad you are going well , very anxious about chemo side effects.

My drain came out finally at one month -last Friday still draining and have dressing but so much better than drain.

I start chemo Friday 'AC' - The port is good, no pain mild discomfort if pressed or leant on my little cuddler.

thanks for the update I've been meaning to check in and find out how to start a post .

Love Trish

• vickifletcher21
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Sonia, two of my lymph nodes had cancer in them an they drain blood up ie throat and brain so what you wrote resonated with me, how are you going now withmthemsecond round of chemo and did you need radiation? Love vicki