everyone has an opinion

Options
2»

Comments

• smbro7
    smbro7 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options

I  work in a large health  organistation, and also have to see clients who dont know of my BC.It can be difficult because I have had  some time off work , and my clients paticularly always want to know why.I think sometimes its the anticipation of people asking and wanting to know why that can make it hard ,so its helps to have some answers ready  especially ,when you may not want to go into all the details on a daily basis.take carexo

• LeeS
    LeeS Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2015
    Options

You're definitely not alone with that one...perhaps knowing that might help a little. I remember my mum telling me that although people's "friendly advice"(her words not mine:-)) was "driving me crazy" (once again, her words not mine!!) people who care about you want to feel like they are contributing to your wellbeing and care whilst you 're unwell and that's about all they have to offer really. Mostly I smiled politely and said thanks for the advice but there were times when I had no energy for that too!!! All the best. X

• LeeS
    LeeS Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2015
    Options

You're definitely not alone with that one...perhaps knowing that might help a little. I remember my mum telling me that although people's "friendly advice"(her words not mine:-)) was "driving me crazy" (once again, her words not mine!!) people who care about you want to feel like they are contributing to your wellbeing and care whilst you 're unwell and that's about all they have to offer really. Mostly I smiled politely and said thanks for the advice but there were times when I had no energy for that too!!! All the best. X

• Carol
    Carol Member Posts: 150
    edited March 2015
    Options

It is interesting to read all the comments. I found sometimes I was positive at other times just a mess of tears as chemo also put me through menopause. I found that sometimes I could talk about my cancer journey and at other times like so many of you would try to change the subject.

I didn't go back to work for 8 months and deliberately chose a Friday to get a soft start when many staff were at a biannual conference. 

I too work at a Uni so If people ask about my hair or arm (lymphoedema garment), I usually use it as an opportunity to say have you .mother/sister/wife had their breastscreen mammogram? Do you take advantage of other screening or preventative treatments? Prevention sure is better than cure. early diagnosis beter than advanced. cancer

On the home front, I now avoid seeing those who continually made negative comments preferring people who themselves are more positive or helpful in their lifestyle. Similalry found an exercise group better than attending a hospital based group which often became so negative, I ended up feeling worse than when I arrived.

Like everything in life, it is up to you to accept what advice you like & ditch the rest . Think of  all the advice you get about breastfeeding & moving your baby onto to solids; or how you simply must do This or that for your child's wedding - hey whose wedding is it? Are you paying for it?

I also found attending medically based session at hospital or especially BCNA sessions for those of us diagnosed with cancer or breastcancer far better method of receiving authoritative messages of the AUSTRALIAN situation than hearing sotries of doom and gloom. 

I did sometimes reply to those who had bad stories that I had heard of someones AUnt who like my Mum had radical mastectomy & lived well into her 90s & died of something else. Or that if it were not for my Mum's cancer, I would not be here as I wouldn't have been having annual mammograms!

Hope this helps,

Just keep thinking you are being pushed uphill by the medical train & think of something nice to do when you get over that hill!