Life goes on....

Options
benellendan
benellendan Member Posts: 25
edited November 2016 in Health and wellbeing

I helped out in my two son's canteen this morning.  I love doing stuff like this.  It makes me feel closer to my kids and I can see and meet their friends and teachers on their 'territory.' I was tired today though.  Since being diagnosed with breast cancer in Nov 09 and completing surgery in December and chemo treatment in June, I have had to deal with a myriad of health issues (high blood pressure, high sugar levels, arthritis flares, liver problems etc).  I started a high dose steroid 4 days ago to arrest the high inflammation I'm dealing with associated with arthritis (brought on by chemo treatment - urgh!) and it leaves me feeling tired and grumpy.  But I chose to be happy today and enjoy every minute.  I watched the kids playing on the playground, smiled at the little ones who dropped their change onto the counter and said sweetly "what can I buy with this much?" and said hello to every teacher I saw (bless their cotton socks - they do such a difficult job!).  I enjoyed the sunshine and the warm welcomes and just basked in the innocence of children.  Today I may be dealing with the horrible affects of cancer, but I chose to enjoy the little things life has to offer.

Tagged:

Comments

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi there, I am so pleased you are taking each day as it comes with a positive slant on life.

My journey started with a lump and continued (I won's say "finished") with a right side mastectomy and complete node removal.  I was fortunate in that the cancer was contained in that one breast and hadn't travelled anywhere else in my body.

I don't need chemo or radiotherapy, I will be back on the pill (Arimidex) for five years.

I went through a stage of depression ... I didn't actually mourn the boob, rather I felt guilty that I wasn't sick while so many were going through a tough time with their treatments and their bodies were showing the signs of the traumas they were experiencing.

Getting involved with BCNA taught me that there is a purpose to life and that is to enjoy and make the most of what you are given.

I have resumed my former life with gusto - I am involved with RSL Women's Auxiliary, do Tai Chi, participate in warm water exercises and have done a Community Leadership Training course which will enable me to work with aged care participants in gentle exercise programs.

I set goals for myself after surgery  ( in January of this year) ... my niece's wedding on Ap[ril 24th followed by a full day on ANZAC day 25th (dawn service, participated in the march then helped organise the lunch then "social" drinks with the vets..  My granddaughters wedding in Darwin in May was a necessity as was my step-daughter's engagement in June.  There have been other milestones each month which I have met as they came along.

I guess I can't emphasise too much that positive thinking will out-gun depression every time.  By logging in to these discussion boards you have access to the greatest group of thereapists ..... and with the attitude you have you will soon be one yourself.

Take care of yourself ....

Cheers ... Shirl xx

• benellendan
    benellendan Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for your words of encouragement Shirl - in my mind anyone who's been diagnosed with breast cancer (whether they have the full gamut of treatment or not) is a legend in my book.  Just the mere words 'you have breast cancer' catapults you into a different 'life' stratosphere and the whole thing leaves you feeling like life is so precious and time can't be wasted.  I had sincerely hoped I would be feeling better now as I was fit and healthy when I was diagnosed and able to fill a 15 hour day with lots to do without flinching too much - since the diagnosis and treatment I can only manage a few hours a day of activity and I'm tired.  The med experts tell me that I may or may be back to my old self one day - pretty tough to hear when you're only 44 years old but still, I will press on....

Thanks again for your encouragement and hooray to you for setting goals and living life!

Sherry

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi again Sherry,

Don't expect to come bouncing back the same as before for a while yet .... I was told at least a couple of years for the body to become accustomed to being sliced up.

My wound healed beautifully but the areas above, below and down the rib area are still tender to the touch and I definately know it if I've been doing too much.  After the rain I got out in my garden (it was neglected for 4 months after the op as I wouldn't let Terry help - to him plants and weeds all look the same) and I was pulling weeds like a demented woman.  It took me two days to get over it .... not happy as my garden is my therapy!!

I worked out very early on - let your body tell you what to do.  If it says rest - then rest; if it says do something then do something; if it says go to the pub or open a bottle of wine or have a cuppa with your mates then do that too!

The same applies to the housework ... if you leave the back door open and the housework fairies don't come in and to it for you then it's not meant to be done !!!!

Take care of number ONE - YOU

Cheers ... Shirl

• minnieme
    minnieme Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

I wish you all the very best with your recovery and treatment. I am 44 also and diagnosed in June this year. I have had 2 surgeries and am very lucky to not require chemo as my cancer was non invavisve and not in my lymph nodes. What a rotten scary time this is but I tell you it sorts out who your friends are and I have been lucky enough to have fantastic support from my family, partner and friends also my neighbours. There is good in this world and staying positive is the best you can do for yourself allthough I do know it is hard sometimes. Good luck.

Andrea