DCIS - Flat, Flap or Implant??

Options
LJC85
LJC85 Member Posts: 2 New Member
I didn’t see it coming //

Last year I had a leaking nipple, I was waking with dried patches on my pyjamas. 
I was annoyed and wanted the leaking to stop. 
I went to the GP, had an ultrasound and they saw a small blockage in my duct. 
I was sent to the surgeon, who said it’s most likely a papiloma, let’s remove the duct and the leaking will stop.
Mammogram, Ultrasound & MRI “clear”

Surgery #1 - removed duct, easy recovery. 
I go to appointment alone for results coz we all thought it was just a papiloma, SHOCK biopsy found DCIS intermediate grade. “I’m sorry stage 0 pre-cancer, we have to remove your nipple for clear margins and possible radiotherapy treatment afterwards.”

I spent 4 weeks getting used to the idea of living without my nipple, what a funny body part to remove, but hey lucky me they found it early and I can move on from this and maybe get a nice nipple tattoo. 

Surgery #2 - removed nipple, fairly easy recovery. Go to appointment to find out if I need radiotherapy or not - hopeful this is the end of the line. SHOCK biopsy found more DCIS “I’m sorry but you need a mastectomy - your choices are Flat, Flap or implant”

Absolutely broken and devastated. I’ve got lovely boobs (even without a nipple!) for 38 years old and have breast fed 2 kids (last feed 7 years ago).

I’m 16DD, I dont think I’m confident enough to be flat. A flap sounds like a horrible recovery and I have to have extra scaring on my stomach?! And an implant only lasts 10 years?
How does anyone make such a difficult choice??
I didn’t even see this coming 😪😪

I speak to a plastic surgeon team next week about options, how do you know you’re making the right choice? I don’t know anyone who has this experience, I want to talk to real people. 😭😭😭

Ps: anyone from Outer East Melbourne

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/additional-resources.html

The link above is a great source to understand choices 

Best wishes 
    Take care
  • LJC85
    LJC85 Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Options
    @iserbrown thank you I’ll take a look
  • meg_d
    meg_d Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I am going in for mastectomy with Diep flap next Friday. I saw the reconstruction/cosmetic surgeon today. He was good at explaining but I had already got to my decision before. The BCNA webinar in reconstruction is useful for info. I think it is from 2019 on website. 

For me (54), there’s no way I would be flat. I could not do it. I don’t want additional surgeries in years to come with implant plus they tend to rise up and become sore and hard. And the recovery is not significantly different between implant and diep. Plus some people pay for tummy tuck! 

But everyone has to decide for themselves. 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Hi @LJC85
    These are hard choices to make at such an emotional time.
    I was big breasted ( had been 14D but gone up to 14E as a result of putting on weight).
    I was 62 so the old girls were a bit saggy.
    I didn’t think I could cope with going flat on one side and in the end opted for a double mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction.
    That was almost 4 years ago and I am very happy with my decision - my story and photos ( along with lots of others) are in the private group on here “ Choosing Breast Reconstruction”.
    I was lucky I was semi retired and my husband was retired so he could help me during the recovery - also I had private health insurance and the funds to pay the gap fees for surgery in the private system.
    It’s a big surgery ( mine was 9 hours) and recovery ( eg: I couldn’t drive for 6 weeks), but I’d do  it again.
    Take care and remember there is no right or wrong decision , just what is right for you.
  • Fleur52
    Fleur52 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I had a single mastectomy nearly 2 years ago at age 52 and chose not to have implant/DIEP. 
    The scar is very neat and has faded almost away during this time. It's never bothered me. I'm not overly large breasted (10D), and it's very easy to just put a prosthesis in a regular full cup bra and no one would ever know - I have a few different prostheses, and they fit into all my non- mastectomy bras :)
    I couldn't parade around openly with the scar tho, that's just me.
    I made the decision to stay flat in order to avoid further surgery/scars/possible complications. And I didn't want anything (infection etc) to delay my starting chemotherapy.
    It really hasn't been a big deal, and I don't feel any less attractive for it. And I was happy for the cancer to be out.
    PS - the option is always there to have an implant or DIEP at a later date. 
    All the very best with your decision and journey. 

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,376
    Options
    I didn’t go for reconstruction either but what works for one isn’t necessarily the right solution for another. I was much older and while I quite liked my breasts, they weren’t particularly special or lovely (my husband likes them a lot more than me!). I never really fancied reconstruction, being large breasted it would probably be an implant, need a replacement at even ten years older!  Lop sided has never worried me, I’m comfortable with a prosthesis but I know others never really adapt to either. My surgeon never pushed for reconstruction but I know that given a chance, he’d still go for a reduction in my remaining breast and reconstruction to give me two much smarter breasts! Always remember that surgeons, no matter how good and mine is just terrific, love to have an interesting reconstruction to look forward to! 

One option as @Fleur52 has said, is to try flat and see how you feel, you can still have reconstruction later if it’s not for you. 

Best wishes.