Newly Diagnosed Locally Advanced Breast Cancer

Options
13»

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,643
    Options
    That's terrific that both your Mums are helping you @kirstiekoala xx. 

Yep, don't even CONSIDER getting stuff out of low or high cupboards, either or picking up pets & young kids - it uses all the muscles that may be affected wth your surgery & you sure don't want any setbacks xx

I can recommend iView & Netflix for binge watching!!  ;)  

take care
  • PrisMay1
    PrisMay1 Member Posts: 68
    Options
    @kirstiekoala welcome to our exclusive club! I had a bilateral mastectomy on the 17th Jan with a DIEP flap reconstruction.  I had my first BC in 2007, had lumpectomy, radiotherapy and AIs for 8/yrs. Last year I was diagnosed with another BC in the same breast. Initially I had a lumpectomy but eventually decided to have the mastectomy.  I have a family history and I don’t want to be going through this again in 10 yrs! I had 4 nights in hospital and have been slowly mobilising at home. My surgeon directed my to be very careful about moving my arms, shoulders etc to ensure the grafts take - I guess implants are similar in that way. On the BCNA there’s a great resource about preparing for reconstruction that I’ve found very useful. Also the info on Reclaim your Curves website.  Wishing you well with your surgery. I found once I’d made the decision and it was all booked I became much calmer. But take it one step at a time. 
  • kirstiekoala
    kirstiekoala Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I have another update for you all

On the 6th February, I had to go to the hospital for my pre-admissions check with the nurse and the anesthetist which went well. They are going to put in nerve blockers which will last about 12 to 24 hours after surgery. They are just unsure as the whether i will have oral pain medication or the self administered injection. The last time i had one of those self administered ones, I ended up with migraines and they are worried about that again. I will know more once I come out of surgery. BUT, on the way home from the hospital I got a call from my breast care nursing team and she asked me if they pre-admissions nurse had given me a surgery date. I said no but I already knew the date, which was the 27th February. She then told me that my surgery had been changed to the 13th February. So 5 days from now, I will be in surgery. Don't' know why it got changed and I'm definitely not complaining. Just have a lot of things to organize before then.