PICC

Options
GinGin
GinGin Member Posts: 111
Hello lovely ladies,
Finally completed 4 dense dose of AC chemo today and will move to 12 weekly Taxols.

The nurse are struggling to locate my veins as I have small vein and they don’t have equipment (ultrasound) to look for my veins and I placed my arm in a bucket of warm water each time before chemo. They are now proposing a PICC line and saying how fabulous and fantastic that would be for me. Basically, when I have PICC line, it will be just in and out for chemo.

However, I am keen to know what the experience will be during, after with the PICC line surgery on one’s arm.I read on the Memorial Sloan Kettering cancer centre website, seems to be high maintenance and also can’t carry anything heavier than 2 Kg and also avoiding repeated arm movement. These wasn’t highlighted to me by the nurses.   I am already having slight challenges with my left arm(lumpectomy and axillary clearance), which has cording and  very recently edema (been seeing physio for both). I also sleep leaning on my right currently as it’s my ‘good’ side. If I have the PICC line, it will be on my right! So I don’t know how I can get a decent sleep,

I’ve searched about PICC in this network ( there seems to be more discussion on port which isn’t what I am after). 

Keen to hear from ladies who had PICC, what was the recovery like, issues, maintenance, care, side effects etc). All details much appreciated.🤗

Look forward to hearing from you!

xx
Gin

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,381
    Options
    Sorry @GinGin I have a port. However it is an arm port so I do have the same challenges you are facing with regards to lifting. My right arm had an anx clearance so I am not able to use that arm for lifting heavy objects. The Port is in my left arm and I am limited to 5kg but thankfully my grandbabies are grandteens now so I don't want to lift them. Your Breast care nurse or the cancer council hotline will be able to answer a few of those questions. I sleep on both sides and do not find my port an issue. Best wishes. xxx
  • GinGin
    GinGin Member Posts: 111
    Options
    @Blossom1961, thank you for sharing your experience. I’ve just rang my BC nurse and the hotline. Think I have come to a decision 😊!