What is your view?

Options
2»

Comments

• chemostyle
    chemostyle Member Posts: 150
    edited March 2015
    Options

My dear father believes that diet or no diet, & moderation is the key.  This 75+ father thinks that the cancer element is all around us, since we live in a chemical world of products.  That is chemical in our laundry powder, air freshner, food, plastics, radiation, phones, stress,  etc etc.     So it will depend on how our body adapts with this surroundings, some body copes well, a small number don't - like "me".    As he believe - some smokes all their entire life, and still cancer free.

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

At the end of the day it comes down to individual choice.  I don't see my choices as a "diet" but the way I now live.  It is different to before but I have read a lot and I am sure it will keep evolving for me.  The information can be so conflicting.  As your father said Chemostyle - who knows why some bodies adapt and others don't.  What we eat is only one way of impacting our bodies but we can control it perhaps more than some environmental influences.  

Moderation means different things to different people which is perhaps why recommending extremes are popular - if extreme is recommended then maybe someone will make a few changes that are beneficial.  

Regarding soy and flax - there seems to be controversy everywhere about these and oestrogen.  My belief is that the closer to natural the better - so soy or flax in any sort of processed form is possibly harmful - powders in particular.  I use flax oil daily and soy as my preferred milk substitute (I prefer Bonsoy as there are no added nasties) though I often mix it up with almond or rice milk.  I am quite comfortable with the small amounts of soy that I consume and also adding Flaxseed oil (cold pressed and organic) to my diet daily.  

There is also controvery regarding coconut oil - I am leaning toward it being ok in moderation rather than excluding it from my diet because of it's saturated fat content - anyone else have thoughts on this?

At the end of the day - food can be medicine and it can be wonderful providing our bodies with amazing nutrition. That's worth celebrating.

Amanda xx

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi,

I like seasonal foods and variety etc. I also wonder if our genetic makeup ( my ancestors are English, Roman, Scottish/ Celtic etc ) influence our choices and needs ?

I have tried soy milk, but I find it does not agree with me too much. I do not crave red meat much now I am post menopausal. I like beans, hommus and lentils. I eat tinned sardines, free range eggs, chicken,  prawns and other fish. I like lamb too.  I try and eat low GI  and wholegrains.  Bhurgen bread is nice. I use olive oil.

I eat plain yoghurt. I like mature / vintage cheese, but not too much. Plums are nice atm..stewed plums and yoghurt ..yummy....

I like mushrooms and root vegetables, also tomatoes, onions, garlic, spring onions, carrots, plus greens each day like celery, parlsey, rocket and other herbs, raw food and handful of nuts, etc.

I like the brassica group of foods... and also drink more tea now and like spices.

I think your mindset can affect things too; so I try and go with the flow more now. " be like water, find the easy path. "

Maybe it is just getting older and slowing down, but I feel more accepting and maybe a little enlightened since my BC diagnosis. I had to go through some suffering to get here though. I have found that " giving back " feels good.

"Eat to live, not live to eat. "

I am  NOT perfect, by any means, but I enjoy knowledge on ways to help our bodies function as well as they can.

I forgot drinking water, and strolling along an ozone rich seashore, etc as  some other things to do for health. " Listen to your own body and what it needs, "  I try and do now. I try not to breathe car fumes or other toxins.

I wish you all the best. People on here are amazing and an inspiration to me,

Love Kathy.

• Anne_S
    Anne_S Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

Leonie - I noticed you wrote that you are gluten and lactose intolerant.  Are you sure its the gluten you react to?  I have lactose and fructose malabsorption, (diagnosed by breath testing,) and now avoid wheat as it is very high in fructose.  Gluten, I am ok with, as it is the protein part of wheat, fructose being the sugar.  I have found a lot of people cut out wheat from their diet and feel better and then assume gluten is the problem. But fructose in fruit and veg might also be causing problems. I don't mean to tell you what you already know!

I am in week 3 of a 12 Gawler Foundation course and diet will be covered soon - I am already restricted in my eating - fructose and lactose, casein, (dairy protein,) and egg intolerance and a vegetarian by choice.  I am also sensitive to chemicals in food, eg amines,  salicylates and msg, which occur naturally as well as in additives.  I eat very little processed food.  However I have been on this diet for some years, well before my diagnosis of early breast cancer last year - so I can't say that this diet has prevented cancer!  Moderation in all things - I have chocolate and crisps occasionally - there has to be some quality of life!

cheers,

Anne

cheers,

• jules
    jules Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2015
    Options

Amanda,

I did the Gawler Foundation program and read The China Study and felt all the information could not be ignored.We have been veagn for 12mths now.We both look and feel the best we have ever felt.My husband is off his cholesterol tablets and I am still alive, so we think there is a lot in it.We get so much information at the end of the day I think we just have to do what resonates with us personally.

Love to all on this bumpy ride.

Jules

• jules
    jules Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2015
    Options

Flaxseed oil is fantastic as it's omega 3 not 6 and 9 which make your cells sticky.

Here's a great dresing we love.

5 tbs flax seed oil

1 small clove garlic

1/2 tsp mustard

3 tbs apple cidar vinegar

1/2 tsp honey

combine all ingredients ( a bamix works well) store in the fridge.

xxxx