What is your view?

Options
chemostyle
chemostyle Member Posts: 150
edited February 2012 in Day to day

Hi Everyone,

I bought the book "Your Life in Your Hands" back in 2009 during my mastectomy.  Read numerous websites with +s and -s ...  but I never end up reading it pass 20pages, as I wasn't sure -  I don't want to be a hypocrite - as the book talks about dairy & meat contributes to cancer, and yet I feed my kids all these food.  

Now 2.5 years later ... I am curious

Does anyone have any opinion to offer?  What do you think?

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes,I read this book after my first bc diagnosis in 2003. Perhaps it may be relevant in England but in Australia animals are not treated with hormones and antibiotics.I was abit concerned about her comments on homoginized milk.I found her book(from what I can remember)to be abit extreme.I have read so many of these sort of books now that it can become abit confusing. I liked Petrea King's book"Quest for life" and also "Foods that fight cancer"-can't remember the author but he's a scientist. I try to eat everything in moderation.I don't really drink much milk anyway.Once a week I have fish and red meat and the other nights either chicken or vegetarian.I try to avoid processed meats and packaged food with preservatives/chemicals.But above all,I try not to stress.Patrea King states that peace of mind is  most important,followed by a healthy diet and exercise.I know my diet can still improve and I need to drop some weight so I will work towards that goal.

Tonya xx

• susieFA
    susieFA Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options

The discussion about what to eat and what not to eat will go on forever.  As long as we are eating everything in moderation and a wide variety of things, surely that can't be bad for us?  I am not moderate in anything (!) so have had to learn to be very quickly but have long believed that it's about quality not quantity (unless it's french champagne then it's a free for all!!)  Millions of people eat dairy and meat and don't get cancer - who knows really what is the 'cause' or what 'contributes'? 

• susieFA
    susieFA Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options

The discussion about what to eat and what not to eat will go on forever.  As long as we are eating everything in moderation and a wide variety of things, surely that can't be bad for us?  I am not moderate in anything (!) so have had to learn to be very quickly but have long believed that it's about quality not quantity (unless it's french champagne then it's a free for all!!)  Millions of people eat dairy and meat and don't get cancer - who knows really what is the 'cause' or what 'contributes'? 

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with both Amanda and Tonya. I know Australian red meat does not have any added "nasties", but with that said my body is telling me to eat less of it. I feel much better when I have had a meal based around fish, pulses or lentils. And my red blood cell level is still climbing after the very low level caused by chemo.

I have added foods to my diet that I knew I should be eating, but never got around to cooking before diagnosis such as broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower etc.

Interesting that it is these foods that have to do with controlling estriol in our bodies, often thought of as the lesser of the three types of eostrogen we produce but very important in keeping the balance right between the other two. I'm now on eostrogen suppressing medication so they no longer will have this effect on my body but I still feel better basing a meal around them.

Amanda is correct when she talks about control. This disease takes over our lives and lets us control very little of it. The feeling of taking control through diet or by shaving your hair off before chemo is our way of demonstrating that we can still have a say and not give in completely.

Does it work? Who knows, lots of anecdotal evidence says it does and research coming out of America at the moment damns sugar in our diets.

Is it harming our bodies more than the treatments? No!

Does it make us feel better? You bet it does!

With love

Joy K

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Bring on the chocolate!

Tonya xx

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

At the end of the day, it is up to yourself what you put in the "open mouth".  Because I am gluten and lactose intolerant, I watch my diet fairly closely.  In the past I have been able to get away with adding in some "naughty" things but at present I am finding that the elimination of all gluten and lactose works well for my health.  I try and limit my processed foods but some times it is really hard especially when you are out and about.   I love fruit and could easily just live on fruit and cheese, however I know that I must eat other good stuff as well.  I would rather drink vege juices than eat veges but what a pain to do the juicing every day!!!!! I think if we just try and do our best to eat healthy well balanced diets then that is good.  To live on a really strict vegan or other type of diet without some "banned" foods would take out the fun of living.  All in moderation is the key. XLeonie

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi all

I tried to cut out dairy for a while but then just craved cheese and yoghurt so have re-introduced these to my diet but to a much smaller degree. No more big slabs of cheese every day!  I do eat read meat  but only once or twice a week - and now it's organic, as is any chicken I buy.  I eat more fish now too.  I'm now looking into recipes using pulses.  I figure it can't be bad for me and hopefully it will get my kids into healthy eating - not that I ever thought I really ate unhealthily before!  We're also planning on extending our veggie patch to have more of our own vegetables - yum!

Amy x

PS  I can't quite kick the chocolate yet!

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi all

I tried to cut out dairy for a while but then just craved cheese and yoghurt so have re-introduced these to my diet but to a much smaller degree. No more big slabs of cheese every day!  I do eat read meat  but only once or twice a week - and now it's organic, as is any chicken I buy.  I eat more fish now too.  I'm now looking into recipes using pulses.  I figure it can't be bad for me and hopefully it will get my kids into healthy eating - not that I ever thought I really ate unhealthily before!  We're also planning on extending our veggie patch to have more of our own vegetables - yum!

Amy x

PS  I can't quite kick the chocolate yet!

• Ann-Marie AK
    Ann-Marie AK Member Posts: 166
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Ladies

Just wondering what everyone's take on soy is? If you cut out dairy do you replace with soy? Isn't there talk about soy causing cancer too? I have a bit of both but I'm also interested because one of my daughters is allergic to dairy (anaphylactic) and so only has soy products.

As far as chocolate goes I eat much less since my periods stopped in May - I used to eat heaps of it when I was pre menstrual. No cramps, no cravings LOL.

Take Care
    Ann-Marie xoxo
  • TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

From what I've read,soy has mild"estrogen like"properties and although quite good for you,shouldn't be consumed in large quantities. This is probably extra so for women with estrogen+ve cancer.I think it comes down to moderation. I don't go all out to include it in my diet but I don't totally avoid it if it's in bread etc.

Tonya xx

• Debbie J
    Debbie J Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2015
    Options

Is Flaxseed  oil okay to take?, Was told this helps to prevent breast cancer.Debbiexxxxxxxxxx

• chemostyle
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for opening my eyes on SOY ... I have read some Soy products contain GM (genetic modified) soy.  But didn't realise about the effect on oestrogen +ve

Totally agree on "Moderation"

xxx Amy

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Flaxseed oil/capsule is great but  there is abit of controversy about taking it with Tamoxifen so I have stopped it. Best to check with your oncologist or pharmacist about flaxseed if you take medication. Otherwise,yes ,I have read that it may reduce tumour growth.I will take it when I finish Tamoxifen.

Tonya xx

• chemostyle
    edited March 2015
    Options

Your diet sounds great ... I am slowing working on the "no sugar" & low "salt" .. basing on a Low-GI diet.  

On the side note:  Have you read anything regarding "Ganoderma Lucidum Spore / Mushroom, Cordyceps Sinensis"?  (p.s. my parents bought my 3 years worth of these tablets).  You might be interested .. worth reading;)

Keep well xxxooo

amy

• chemostyle
    edited March 2015
    Options

ooops did i say that