Tamoxifen- Side Effects

ARichies
ARichies Member Posts: 33
I finished my radiation treatments two weeks ago and will be starting hormone blockers  Tamoxifen for the next 5 years. I'm 43 this year and oncologist said I may need to take it for 10 years. 
I'm nervous about all the potential side effects. From what I've read different brands with different fillers affect different people differently. Can you please share if you are on Sandoz, Genoa, Novaldex or Tamosin and what worked best for you? Thanks you so much! 

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi,I found Genox worked best for me but we are all different. My friend had no side effects whatsoever but I had hot flushes,low mood and sleeplessness. I ended up taking a low dose antidepressant called Endep 10mg to counteract it all. It helped. I lasted almost 5yrs on Tamoxifen and then I’d had enough. It’s a balancing act. I would say get your liver function and cholesterol bloods checked before you start,as a base line.Also think about a pelvic ultrasound if you have a uterus.When you start or stop Tamoxifen it’s not uncommon to get pv spotting so don’t be alarmed.Also have an eye test done(at Specsavers?) as a baseline too. Tamoxifen has been around a long time and is very effective so give it your best shot.Discuss all the above precautions with your doc (or not)I can never decide if ignorance is bliss or knowledge is power. Being a retired nurse,I tend towards the latter.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,268
    Hi, the best thing is just to try it and see how it goes. I know many ladies who never had a problem. I tried tamoxifen (i am post menopause) and I was ok for over a year and then got side effects. I discussed these with my oncologist and now I am on Letrozole. All you can do is give it a go. You might be one of the lucky ones and no side effects. If you do get issues discuss it with your oncologist as there may be things you can do to alleviate them.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    @ARichies

Being uncertain is part and parcel of it all.  
    Asking what brand everyone found works for each of us may not help you - we are all different - my preferred brand is Sandoz
    My advice, like others, is please give it a go!  Menopause may also play a part - just take it one month at a time and not concentrate on the length of time - there's the option for your Oncologist to change to a different AI if Tamoxifen is not suiting you!

Here's a link to help you if you haven't seen it already, links within this link
    Hormone therapy | Breast Cancer Network Australia (bcna.org.au)

Take care and best wishes