10 Pillow shapes for BC treatment & recovery - attn: all Newbies xx

Options
arpie
arpie Member Posts: 7,579
I had a lumpectomy in early 2018 & luckily (sort of) had had shoulder surgery 10 years previously, so I had a small log shaped pillow that I used to support my arm following that surgery - and then it came in very handy for me again, post BC surgery.  Specially driving home as I live in regional NSW & had a 4hr drive home - so I hugged it all the way home to prevent bumps/jarring.  I slept with it as well, supporting the arm ... and it was a great help.  

Some members have been lucky enough to be given a support pillow by their Breast Care Nurse ....  I know that Zonta had an arrangement with McGrath for handing out support pillows - but I am not sure if it is still going with the Covid thing.

Check out site that shows 10 different shaped pillow (including for those who've had double mastectomy.)  Some even have pockets for drains.  And if you are good with a needle & thread - you can even make your own! There are Lots of Youtube videos and/or diagrams/plans available online, for making one.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/comfort-pillows-breast-cancer-recovery-430551

I hope this helps make your recovery a little easier xx

Comments

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Thankyou for the links to the pillow site @arpie. For new members it may well be of most value.
    Breast Care Nurse (what Breast Care Nurse?) supplied pillow (what pillow?), neither were available.
    My lumpectomy scar is on my right side at the base of my breast. Not a good position. Post surgery, every movement, position or just a turn over in bed was painful.
    I "googled" and discovered useful tips such as yours. Whilst in Perth, recovering, I used one of those travel pillows sold in souvenir shops.
    I sent my husband out the day after surgery to buy one. I armed him with a picture! Well he travelled the length and breadth of Perth by public transport to various shopping centres. No luck. Arriving back in Perth's CBD to catch the bus back to our accomodation venue, right outside the bus stop was a souvenir shop with a rack of said travel pillows near the front door!
    It helped but wasn't the best. After arriving home 3 weeks post surgery I made my own which is a combination of a neck travel pillow and the armpit pillow. The combination of both relieved the pressure on the butchered nerves in that area.