Vaccine

TillyBilly
TillyBilly Member Posts: 28
This is me & Dad yesterday! Dads just turned 90 been here since Feb 2020 & wanted to make I was doing ok he didn’t believe me over the phone lol. his flight keeps getting cancelled, so we did this together

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Excellent, well done!
  • gilliegirl4
    gilliegirl4 Member Posts: 18
    VACCINE & LYMPHOEDEMA ?
    i had right axilla dissection 6 years ago 18 nodes removed.  i also had chemotherapy and radiation treatments
    19th April 2021 i had my first dose of AstraZeneca Covid19 Vaccine. in opposite arm.
    17 May - 1 month later i developed Lymphoedema.  could this be related.  it is now 6 weeks since diagnosis of Lymphoedema and there has been no change, or improvement in my status.
    just like to hear some opinions.   Gillian
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    Just a thought gilliegirl4 - might be worth posting separate query re vaccine and lymphoedema , to,garner responses ?
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    It seems improbable but I’d be asking a doctor or even a lymphoedema therapist if they have ever heard of a vaccine related trigger. Unfortunately lymphoedema can occur up to 15 years after losing lymph nodes, which always seems to me so unfair! It is of course possible that your lymphoedema started earlier and was not detected at first. I was sure I had detected mine almost immediately but my therapist is certain that the testing shows it started much earlier. Vaccines are not recommended for an affected limb (or blood tests or blood pressure sleeves) because your reduced lymph nodes can’t cope properly. But there’s nothing wrong with your other arm so you would not expect any reaction. Fingers crossed it’s a short term problem and will resolve with treatment. Best wishes. 
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    @gilliegirl4 how is your lymphoedema being treated? Are you wearing compression garments? Not fun, but the best treatment to get it under some semblance of control.

As @Afraser says, you wouldn't expect a vaccine in your "good" arm to impact the arm on your treated side. I'd be asking lots of questions of a qualified lymphoedema therapist 

• gilliegirl4
    gilliegirl4 Member Posts: 18
    Hello
    Thanks for your response.
    I am seeing a Lymphoedema Physiotherapist. Am wearing various compression garments. am doing daily exercises especially for this affliction. AND went down the track of purchasing a Compression pump. 
    I am doing all I can to help myself.

7 weeks on I see little change, but positively it hasn't got worse.

thanks to all who have responded to my query.