The wait is messing with my emotions and head space

Options
Rdella
Rdella Member Posts: 1 New Member
Hi l was diagnosed with Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma on 29th December 2020. I had a lumpectomy on the 9th January my lump was 25mm and 2 lymph nodes removed. Saw my surgeon on the 12th January and the next step was told chemo and radiation because it’s a fast growing cancer. The lymph nodes were clear so was very lucky. I heard nothing so started chasing up on the 28th and was given some wrong information that my referral had not been sent off, totally lost it emotionally. Was eventually sorted out on Monday when the breast cancer nurse rang me and said was it was sent and apologised for the distress that was caused, now to wait until the following week when oncologists have their meeting. In the meantime l received an appointment notification of my first appointment to meet with the oncologist on the 26th February ......another 3 weeks !!!!!! Really struggling with the wait l just want to know about my treatment and get on with it and finding it very hard to stay upbeat. Sorry for my rant and really trying to stay calm. 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    @Rdella

A wait of four weeks or more between surgery and chemo is not unusual - obviously there has been a bit of a hold up in your case which is most unfortunate but it is also most unlikely that your oncologist would create any danger in the date set. It’s upsetting because much as you may not like the prospect of chemo, most people do want to get into the routine of treatment and feel they are doing as much as possible as soon as possible. You can of course contact your oncologist and see if the date can be moved forward, but if not, best to spend the time in preparation and try and fret as little as possible. Waiting is one of the bc side effects less talked about but can happen a lot! Best wishes. 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @Rdella,

Totally stinks to be here but welcome to the forum.  This whole thing is a mind blow and a series of endless waiting. Waiting for scans, waiting for results, and chasing up shit that nobody did!  Ranting is encouraged here, it's the place to let everything out with no judgement and the depth of knowledge and compassion on the forum is something you just can't get anywhere else. Nobody else can understand where your at like someone that's been there.

It takes time to get all the ducks in a row and they like to give you some recovery after surgery.  
    It's not unusual to have a month between diagnosis and surgery, 4 -6  weeks before you start chemo then another 4 weeks before radiation,  You need some healing time in between being chopped, poisoned and nuked :)  
    You learn pretty quickly that you are your own best advocate and just keep ringing your BCN if you're feeling lost or worried something isn't happening.

The start is the pitts.  Once you have your plan you should start to feel somewhat more in control.
    Lotsa love sweet.
    xoxoxoxox