Dragon boats

Options
Mareeh
Mareeh Member Posts: 9
edited July 2020 in General discussion
Hi just wondering if anyone is involved with Dragonboat rowing for breast cancer survivors  and whether there’s any problems associated with the strain on prosthesis after breast reconstruction?

Comments

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi @Mareeh, I was diagnosed in July 2016, mastectomy, 13 lymph nodes removed, chemo & radiotherapy finishing treatment April 2017. I started dragon boat racing in November 2017. It was difficult at first mostly because of limited strength in my arm on that side & also lymphodema. I had a further mastectomy on other side & double diep in February 2019 & after 2 months returned to paddling but had been going to the gym earlier to build up fitness. I haven’t had any problems with my reconstruction as most of the work is done with your arm & back muscles & core. It is great exercise & you can take your own time as to how hard you want it to be. They are very supportive as most members have been through it too. You get a 3 week trial period before you have to decide whether to join. Hope this helps!
  • Mareeh
    Options
    Hi Glemmis,
    thanks for your reply. I was worried about them rupturing as they put them under the muscles on both sides and they’ve been there for 12 years so getting a bit old. I will also contact the dragon boat team at Penrith and have a chat. They may be closed atm due to COVID.
    thats very inspiring what you’ve achieved 😀
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Options
    @Mareeh, I can understand your concern. Are you able to have a check up with a breast surgeon to discuss this? You should be able to contact the club even if they are not paddling at the moment. My club at Pyrmont is starting back Sat week which will be a big shock for the body. Good luck!
  • Mareeh
    Options
    Thanks, I will look into it further 😀Good luck and take care .