Forum Discussion
Blossom1961
6 years agoMember
Stress levels
I have worked ten hour days for the past ten days and have been on call for the other fourteen hours of the day. I was a bit concerned about having a meltdown stress attack. So firstly, a regular came in and was overwhelming me with his problems and loading them on me. I was okay but on edge. Then everything went splat. Online bookings doubled up and I couldn’t fit people in and in trying to fix it up I came across a massive mistake made by a previous manager which HAD to be fixed urgently. Five abusive customers and three days later I have nearly finished sorting it out. Prior to BC I would have struggled. Two months ago I would have had a meltdown.
I did it! No meltdown but a huge sense of achievement. My emotional inability to cope has been the hardest for me to accept. I still have brittle fingernails, powdery toenails, psoriasis on my eyelids and cracked teeth. But the physical annoyances I can deal with, if necessary.
To everyone who is struggling emotionally, you will pull through. Maybe when you least expect to, but it will happen. I may still have days where I struggle to cope, but everyone does. I may have meltdowns, but that is okay.
Sending huge hugs to all of you wonderful beautiful souls. Your support and encouragement has helped me in so many ways. I only hope that I can support and encourage others as you have me. Thank you
I did it! No meltdown but a huge sense of achievement. My emotional inability to cope has been the hardest for me to accept. I still have brittle fingernails, powdery toenails, psoriasis on my eyelids and cracked teeth. But the physical annoyances I can deal with, if necessary.
To everyone who is struggling emotionally, you will pull through. Maybe when you least expect to, but it will happen. I may still have days where I struggle to cope, but everyone does. I may have meltdowns, but that is okay.
Sending huge hugs to all of you wonderful beautiful souls. Your support and encouragement has helped me in so many ways. I only hope that I can support and encourage others as you have me. Thank you
31 Replies
- KayB55MemberAs always, many thanks for your thoughts. I will ponder on all your advice and yes, I am a feeling burnt out (going to radiation) so best to wait til I am feeling stronger before making any long term solutions but your advice is wonderful. Regards Kay
- ZoffielMember@KayB55 asking for opinions here is often the first step for figuring out your own solutions. Only you knows you. Mxx
- SisterMember@KayB55 I don't know which education dept you belong to but you're probably near the magic number where you can do creative things with your Super AND drop back to .4 (or whatever) as a teacher without too much trouble. It may be problematic with your particular school but worth thinking about if you can afford to do so. You could perhaps negotiate to teach one line only or be as free as a bird and go in as a TRT. That way you're not suddenly giving up what you love completely but you'd be managing the energy issue.
- jennyssMemberDear @Blossom1961 , You are
- kmakmMember@Sister
- AfraserMemberIs it possible to scale down a bit? I was 67 when diagnosed. My first year was busy with treatment and keeping as normal as possible at work (I worked through) but towards the end of that time I felt I needed more time for other things - nothing like cancer to open your eyes to how much time you spend at work, especially when you love it. I was able to do a 4 day week, made a massive difference. I am now on long service leave and won’t go back - 75 this year seems time enough, plus I have now have other ‘work’ and commitments built over a couple of years so the transition has been remarkably easy. Interaction with others was very important to me at work and building new networks takes a bit more spare time. Best wishes.
- arpieMemberIf you are in a position to retire a bit early - I'd go for it @KayB55 - I was 50 when I stopped work - and have had numerous health stuff ups between then & now (age 68 now) including both shoulders needing major work ..... then BC .... so would have hated to still be working thru everything.
What area do you live in? (Town/City?) You can add it to your profile, then members may know of groups you may like to check out and/or join? If you love singing, many towns have choral groups (or uke groups) where singers are appreciated ..... we entertain at Aged Care centres & invited to perform at many places (we have a 50th birthday this coming Sat.) It is about meeting new people, learning new skills and just trying new things. If they don't suit - move on & try the next one.
As @iserbrown said - it sounds like you are a tad burnt out - and in need of a break. Can you chat with the helpline here - they may have some coping mechanisms to help you out. Are you doing a uni course? Can you defer it for a term or two - or next year? Do what you have to do to get thru this year a bit easier without so much pressure on you?
Take care, big hugs xxxx - iserbrownMemberYou sound like you're burnt out! I know that I am. Perhaps set a goal as you said of seeing this year out and in the meantime find yourself an alternative, a hobby, that will make you smile rather than a chore. Check out the Creative corner post. Lots of ideas from crafts to poetry - ideas are endless.
We all evolve regardless but the heightened awareness of self and aches and side effects is something that dominates at times.
Hopefully you'll come to a decision that suits you and not feel like BC made you change your course.
Take care
Sending you a virtual hug - KayB55MemberAs always, coming to this site and reading your stories is a huge help - it makes me put my situation into a different perspective and a reminder to count my blessings. That said, feeling far too emotional today and most of the week really - I am not normally a cryer but it keeps coming in waves. I have done so well so far but yesterday worked on my school work all day and just could not get finished what I wanted and I do need to get this done. I seem to be working in slow motion. It is actually never ending. I love what I do but at this point I am questioning if it is time to retire. I do not want to feel that I am getting special treatment because of my breast cancer because that will get up people's noses but do have to accept that at this point in time I cannot be the same person as I was before. My plan is to get through this year so that I can see my current Year 12s who are the first co-hort exiting under the new examination system, and then spend time praying and pondering my future. At 64 perhaps it is time but I love doing what I do so very much (more tears). Time for a cup of tea and no more work today. I need to get a hobby! My thanks to you all. Regards Kay
- kmakmMemberThat's no good @iserbrown. Bloody rotten. I hope it doesn't set you back too much, either financially or emotionally. And that the results are pleasing. Fingers crossed. K xox