Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Recent MBC - sternum

Options
I was diagnosed with MBC on 5 November, (first diagnosed with BC in August 2016).  I have been told that it's detained in the sternum and no other areas of the body and it is thought that it was there when the breast tumour was removed in Sept 16. The suggestion is that I stay on Tamoxifen or as I am premenopausal that I have my ovaries removed and I would then have access to either Palbociclib or Ribociclib.    I could have a monthly ovarian suppression injection rather than have them removed.

I am currently looking into the options presented and will see the medical oncologist in two weeks time.
I am just wondering if there are any others here on this network that have experienced the same thing?

Comments

• cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 703
    Options
    Hi @Georgie17 sorry your  on this Roller Coaster im just going through the same process at the moment 3mm lesion on sternum a bigger one on the sacrum 
    one of the drs mention the one on the sternum could be leftover tag from original tumour 
    i was first diagnosed in nov16. But I’m post menopausal ive been switched from armidex to tamoxifen 
    i see oncologist this thursday ive made a list of questions for her its been a long 6 weeks since i last saw her 

• Georgie17
    Georgie17 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks @Lisa1407 and @cranky_granny for your replies.  
    I am in two minds about what to do and need to look further into it.   I am not sure if I should tempt fate and go off Tamoxifen and try a new drug, considering I have been lucky with no side effects. 
    May I ask what you are looking at in the way of costs for these medications? 
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 703
    Options
    @Georgie17 i
    i havent added up my costs but on no where near lisa’s amount yet
    they will be reviewed at a future date
    just on tamoxifen, oz mep for reflux, ant inflammatory and pain relief 
    was on targin but that script is finished
    blood test this week so we will see
    i just ask questions at each visit. ( go with my list and my 2nd set of ears)
    need her as my brain mush doesnt go away. These days. 
    Good luck with your decision. I find it hard to decide things for myself i have to trust them to make the right ones for me. 
  • Lisa1407
    Lisa1407 Member Posts: 258
    Options
    Fortunately, my costs have been minimal to date. All of the drugs I have been on are either on the PBS or supplied by a pharmaceutical company by way of trial. The Amebaciclib I am on now is supplied as part of a trial. I am very lucky to have an oncologist who is an active, world renowned, clinical researcher, so if she can't get me access on a trial she will most likely will be able to get me compassionate access. The denosumab injection I have monthly is on the PBS and costs about $40/month. I had my ovaries removed privately, but the surgeon works in the public system as well and agreed to do it for me at public prices. He even organised for the anaesthestist to do the same! I used to feel bad if offered something for free, but have learned very quickly to accept the offer if made! It certainly makes things easier given that I am not working.
  • Georgie17
    Georgie17 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks @Mazzi for your amazing story.    Yes, there is always hope.   <3
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi @Mazzi that is wonderful news. it would be great if you would consider sharing your story (i.e. in the stories board) in the MBC private group for newcomers that would really value your experience.
  • Palmbeachprincess
    Palmbeachprincess Member Posts: 39
    Options
    @Riki_BCNA
    hi
    Could you accept me into the private group.
    whenever I try to log in it cites permission denied. 
    Thanks x 
  • Riki_BCNA
    Options
    Hi @Palmbeachprincess I have sent you an invite to the group. Please let me know if any problems 
  • Palmbeachprincess
    Options
    Hi

where did you send the invite to? 
    X
  • Palmbeachprincess
    Options
    Riki_BCNA 
    x
  • Riki_BCNA
    Options
    @Palmbeachprincess I will chase up tomorrow with the developers as some network problems it seems