Click
here
for more information

Tagged:

Comments

• LizzyB
    LizzyB Member Posts: 29
    Options
    I find it interesting that Allergan uses words like ‘world wide recall’, and say it’s not ok to continue using these products - but this is cold comfort for women like myself who have these implants. It makes me cross that they are advocating to patients to wait until there is a problem... in my mind I may as well have left my breasts ... at least I could have them properly screened.....Yes there is always Ultra sound but it is not definitive and of course MRI... $350 🤬🤬🤬 I know this as I recently had swelling -( which thankfully turned out to be a torn chest muscle... ) I am at the risky 8 year mark so I think for my own peace of mind I will be financially out of pocket to have the implants changed over now. ... would be nice if these wealthy companies gave a damn and put some $ towards our plight... it’s easy for them, it’s not their lives or their bodies .... ok rant over ......
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @LizzyB
    No no rant away!
    It's bloody unfair!  Blind faith as how would you or me or anyone else know they are sus!
    It's damned infuriating! 
    Timely for me as I have review with breast surgeon next week!
    Regardless of manufacturer how do we know they are safe and suitable? 
    Take care 

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    So many woman will be fearful of their implants now, even those wuth smooth. Although recognised as a small number thst may develop cancer is no comfort to those who currently have them in. 
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    Sounds like the knee prosthesis saga a while ago where some people's bodies went black and some people had to have their legs amputated.  This was all because the company apparently outsourced the prosthesis and a non-medical grade metal was used .... what the ?????
    When will these companies be held responsible for the issue before they become a further health risk ?
    Don't they keep records of where the bits go and why can't they take proactive action to alert recipients earlier rather than later so damage to human life is reduced  ?
    Soooo over these chemical and medical companies.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I have attached the link below to a recent video clip re Textured Implant Q & A with BreastSurgANZ
    https://www.facebook.com/BreastCancerNetworkAustralia/videos/917246328653278/
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I remember that this issue was raised at least 9 years ago. 
  • iserbrown
    Options
    Really - that long ago?  
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    Yes. I had my implants replaced because one was burst on mammogram. This issue was in the news at the time so I checked with my plastic surgeon if my new implants were questionable. She assured me that they were the best that were available.
  • iserbrown
    Options
    Surprised to read the issue is so long ago and that you were asked to have a mammogram on an implant - not something I would want done nor agree to!  At least you are now assured of having a best quality implant.
    Take care
  • MariaLuisa
    MariaLuisa Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Feeling very confused about this. I have the allergan textured implant for 9 years now without any issues, in saying that it has become to slightly rippled but nothing to be concerned about Im told. So going by the advice at the moment, leave it alone unless there is an issue -just not sure how I feel about this?
  • iserbrown
    Options
    Agree it has rattled me!

I'm due to see my breast surgeon so lots of discussion to be had

I was originally told about 15 years and it would need replacing.  What was your timeline?

Take care
  • MariaLuisa
    Options
    Same for me approx 15 years.  The Caps clinic in Canberra is holding an information evening tomorrow night about the recall, hopefully they will be able to answer questions and alleviate concerns.
  • iserbrown
    Options
    @MariaLuisa

Hope the information session gave you some clarity 
  • MariaLuisa
    Options

Thank you, it was informative and well presented, however still unsure which way to proceed.  Risk is based on texture grade 1 - 4 with 4 being highest.  I am a grade 3 and do not have any current issues with the implant so the advice is to leave it alone. Will keep an eye on the media over the next couple of months, see if any further updates.

• iserbrown
    Options
    Best wishes with it!