Our 'New Normal' - a thought provoking article

2»

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    I know it’s one more thing to add to what you are currently juggling but I agree with @Sister, a good professional counsellor can be very helpful at this juncture. My low point was about 5 months in - the third possibly permanent side effect left me wondering what I might have to give up. Up to then I had sailed through chemo and surgery, and continued work, but now started to wonder how these ‘non-cancer’ issues would affect me. Not depressed but very confused. My counsellor smartly pushed past the cancer recovery to look at what I considered ‘back to normal’. I hadn’t given any thought to that - but had to recognise the long working hours, lack of delegation, little genuine energy building (she had to explain that!) and so forth might not be ideal, even if I enjoyed it. I didn’t make any radical changes, didn’t give up anything precious but bit by bit got myself into a different mind set. Magically, there was more time for things I’d never had time for. And a greater sense of satisfaction. My time with the counsellor was really quite short - the lessons are still acted on. Best wishes. 
  • ddon
    ddon Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2020
    Thank you both @Afraser and @kezmusc
    I have read and re-read your thoughts and you have both helped very much. I will get through this, I don’t want to waste the time I have being defeated by my mind. I am dreading the tamoxifen ( already over these constant hot flashes and dead libido) but I figure it can’t be too much worse than the chemo misery. 
     I really don’t like this person I am right now so I have to work on some positivity. Thank you again x