Follow -up/monitoring at conclusion of treatment

Options
Chris51
Chris51 Member Posts: 29
edited January 2019 in General discussion
I have 4 more rads to go to complete my treatment (also on Letrazone). I had initial surgery as a private patient and then due to a bit of a complication was referred on to public for radiation treatment. I was extremely happy with my private surgeon - not so the  oncologist she works with. The doctors/therapists at the public hospital have generally been fantastic and I can’t fault the treatment I have received. Of course being a public hospital I have not always seen the same dr or nurse. My dilemma is what to do at conclusion of treatment. If it worked I would like to return to my original surgeon, but not so her oncologist. I have yet to ask what the follow-up involves - I assume visits & tests at different intervals.

Wondering if I can have feedback from you lovely people as to who you see in this period. Is it the breast surgeon or the oncologist or a combination of both.  I have yet to ask this question at hospital because I haven’t seen my original oncologist recently. I also probably have a preference for the private rooms as opposed to the hospital clinic. Not sure which way to go?
Tagged:

Comments

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi @Chris51, I didn't have to have anything except surgery and hormone therapy. My surgeon is public although she also operates privately and my oncologist is through the public hospital. My follow up involved initially seeing the oncologist about one month after surgery when she put me onto tamoxifen and then I saw her three months later to check on the hormone therapy, then six months and then 12 months. After two years I was swapped to letrazole and again saw her after three months, then will see her at the 12 month mark unless something bad happens. My tests have only involved blood tests to check hormone levels and some advice regarding my eyes.  My surgeon I have seen far more often to ensure that everything was going smoothly, plus I had a further surgery to even me up after a mastectomy with immediate implant. I think you should do what you want to do. My oncologist initially started off as a bit of a cold fish, but after two 1/2 years we have a laugh and she is far more human than she first appeared. You need to feel comfortable and at ease with your doctors and if you don't ask to be referred to someone else. Perhaps let others know what area you are in and they can advise who they find good.  I hope you find someone you like, let us know how you get on. Xx 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,576
    Options
    Hi @Chris51

Like you, I had private surgeon, then had public Radiation Oncologist, followed by public Oncologist for Tablets - all 3 are in 3 different hospitals!!  Surgeon in Sydney, Rad Onc at Port Macquarie Hospital and the Onc at Taree Base Hospital

Bottom line is - you can really see whoever you prefer - so long as they are happy to see you!

I literally had my surgery today last year, followed by 4 weeks radiation with boosters that took me up to Easter.  Shortly after that, I started Letrozole but didn't like it's painful side effects, so swapped to Exemestane, which has taken 6 months to also get to the extremely painful status!   :(  I will be trying prednisone for some short term pain relief & will discuss other options when I see my Onc in March/April (unless I can't put up with it & see her earlier!)   I see my surgeon for my 1st yearly check up at the end of Jan.

Public treatment usually is free - there may be charges/gaps associated with private clinic Oncologists.  Ask up front.  If you get on well with the person and feel they are looking after your best interests, go with them.  I have recently changed from a Public male oncologist who didn't really show any interest to me at all .... to a lovely Public Female Oncologist who I saw 'on & off' when I first started my Hormone Tablets (but was still not fully accredited.)  She is now, so I will stick with her from now on.

All the best with your decision making xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I am a private patient. For the first two years I see the BS once every six months, and the oncologist once every six months, alternating. So I see someone once every three months, then it drops to once yearly for each, alternating again.

I changed oncologists, though it was because mine left private practice. It was a change I was happy with as, as pleasant as she was, I didn't really gel with her.

When you see your BS next, just say that. 'I don't really gel with the oncologist, can you refer me to someone else' It should be as simple as that.

If you feel uncomfortable doing it face to face you could always try an email. K xox
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Chris51 I finished active treatment in June last year and currently see either my surgeon or my oncologist every 3 months - I just tend to alternate with them so surgeon in February and then oncologist in May.  Luckily I like them both but my surgeon is new - got rid of the one that did my surgeries and complained about him to the health board. 
  • Chris51
    Chris51 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you for this information. I wasn’t sure if I could move between private and public systems for ongoing follow up - but sounds like maybe I can. Perhaps I will finish my rad treatment and then follow up with a phone call to the breast nurse at the private clinic I started at to see if there is more than the one oncologist based at this breast clinic. The other bonus of this place was that they did the mammograms and scans in the same building and you pretty much got the results there and then - mind you this did come at a cost. I am probably preempting  this phase a little but after the past 3 months I am just so eager to be through to the other side. Just hope that there are not too many hiccups too soon. After 5 weeks of daily rads so looking forward to getting back to gym and being able to plan my days without my daily routine revolving around radiation, doctor, nurse appointments. I have been really lucky in that I haven’t had any side effects at all it has just been the daily grind of getting into city, waiting for treatment/appointment and then getting home again. I am also lucky in that my family are all grown up and living elsewhere so I haven’t had to factor in care of young ones. Hard to imagine how I filled my days before this horrible diagnosis.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    It's bizarre isn't it Chris? What the heck did I think about before this??