Crash

Options
Blossom1961
Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
edited November 2018 in Health and wellbeing
So here I was thinking that once the chemo was over and I started feeling better then it was full steam ahead! I guess that was a bit naive of me and I should have known better. This morning I was okay as I have been for the last week. This afternoon I crashed, physically, emotionally and mentally. Hubby came home tonight, cooked dinner, then ate half of mine because I just wasn't hungry. I am hoping a good nights sleep will help. Oops, I forgot I don't have those anymore. I will just have to reread some of those encouraging things you ladies have written on some of the other threads. They usually pick me up.

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Options
    I have been on a gentle detox for over a week followed by a dayspa yesterday so have probably aggravated things.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    It's not uncommon to crash at the end of active treatment.  I certainly did and I know a number of women here have gone through this.  My onc said he has patients report this quite often.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    @Blossom1961 give yourself license to do whatever you need to now.  Nobody volunteers for chemo and there are good reasons to dread it. The nastiness doesn't stop with your last infusion. Dragging yourself physically and mentally through the whole ordeal depletes even the sturdiest of batteries, full speed ahead is difficult when the recharge light is flashing. Mxx
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @Blossom1961
    It's been 16 months and I still crash although the crashes are a little further apart. Doesn't take much to spark a crash.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Be gentle with yourself. It's going to take a while. My oncologist told me it would take a year to recover from chemo. Anyone I've spoken to who's actually had it says two to three years. I'm eight months past my last infusion and I still feel it every day. K xox
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hey @Blossom1961,

Just do what you have to do.  Rest when you need to, don't if you don't. The mental exhaustion from what you have been through is unexpected.  You think treatment is done, time to get better and back to normal right?

I lived on Berocca's and caffeine for about a month afterwards LOL  (Still do some days) Then it started to get better.  I was feeling pretty good by the time I finished rads so that was about 4 months after my last infusion.

But different treatments probably take different times to recover from and the chemo hangover stays around for a while in varying degrees of crapiness.  

xoxoxoxo
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Honestly a good feed and lots of fluids and you'll feel better. We all have bad days. Hang in there. It truly does get better.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Is it any wonder we get down? BC treatment equals depression. Menopause equals depression. Hormone therapy yep those tabs can result in depression. If it gets too bad ask your doctor to either prescribe some happy pills and or see a therapist.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Brenda5 Could not have put it better Brenda.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I must be doing something right, wish I knew what. Menopause, bc treatment, hormonal tablets, lymphoedema and peripheral neuropathy but not depressed yet. Yes, it's a real risk but maybe not inevitable. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Yep - and Menopause even spells it out ...... turn it around - a pause from men!  LOL  

God knows, I now realise why so many men leave their wives in their 40s ....... it is menopause & they can't handle it!!  :(   So often the woman still has teenage kids (or younger), no superannuation & no way of earning a living after the divorce ..... 

SO many reasons for depression!!   I reckon we all go thru it sooner or later & those that haven't ........ WILL!
  • kmakm
    Options
    You are fortunate indeed to have avoided it @Afraser.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Well done @Fraser, that is wonderful  ..... If I could, I would go back & edit my last line to:

I reckon we all go thru it sooner or later & those that haven't ........ MAY!

• Blossom1961
    Options
    I had an appointment with my osteo this morning and told him about the 24hr crash. He was happy because the detox was obviously working. Today he told me that my body has seemed hollow since I have been feeding it poison but today it seemed like I had substance. He didn't mean I was fatter. Interesting observation. I told him next time he saw me could be a whole new thing as I will be facing the mutilation later that same day and who knows how my body will react leading up to that. He spoke to some of his colleagues about the hollow thing and they said they had noted the same thing in their chemo clients. None of them can explain it, they just all think it is weird.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Good on you @Afraser.  That's awesome to hear.  I have a few depressive funks here and there these days. It seemed never ending at the beginning of hormone treatment one continuous black cloud of fog.   After playing ping pong with my meds for a while now there is a definite routine to the cycle.  I know that it is them that cause this and that it will pass in a couple of days. I can now put it in it's place.

@Blossom1961 There is a lot of non explainable weird things on this ride.  :)