Newbie here

Options
Hi All,

im new to the forum. A couple of months ago my Aunty had her breast removed due to breast cancer. She’s my father’s sister. My nan also had breast cancer and so did her sister. My nan also had colon cancer and another Aunty in same side of family had endometrial cancer. So the Aunty with breast cancer had a genetic test. She was negative for BRCA1 &2 but was positive for Lynch’s Syndrome genetic defect. Lynch’s causes a range of cancers. But newly published papers in 2018 have also now linked it with breast cancer. Has anyone else had Lynch’s Syndrome diagnosis with breast cancer.
Also I had a mammogram and ultrasound when I was 38. A cyst was found but no more tests were carried out. Last week at the age of 45 I had another one. It went for 1.5 hours and the operators kept ducking out to check with doctor then came back and took more images. Within an hour of finishing my GP rang saying he needed to see me next week but it wasn’t urgent. Should I be worried? There were cysts found in my breasts including in my lymph glands. I’m now nervous about appointment.

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Hi @Blackkitty25, of course you're nervous about the appointment. I  would be too.  Welcome to the forum. Feel free to pose any questions that you have, bearing in mind that advice is of a personal nature, not medical.
    I don't specifically remember hearing of anyone on here with Lynch syndrome, but if you enter it into the search bar on the home page, you may find something. 
    There are other hereditary cancer genetic links. All are scary, and the only good thing is that it gives you knowledge of what you may need to look for. 
    @kmakm, @primek, any words to help?
    Take care
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Any recall can make you nervous and  I doubt anything we could  say would make you any less nervous. I had a crappy family history but also found I didn't have the gene they carried. 

Regardless of the results perhaps a referral to genetic counselling would be a good idea and also a breast surgeon who would  give advise of the best surveillance for you. 

I guess if they have said it's non urgent means it's probably all good but sometimes they suggest a biopsy just to be absolutely certain.  Keep in touch and let us know how you go. Kath x
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Hi @Blackkitty25 and welcome to the forum.

It's a worrying time waiting for test results. The pits actually! There's nothing for it but to grit our teeth, distract ourselves, take some deep breaths and try not to cross any bridges until we come to them.

The causes of breast cancer are mostly unknown. My mother was diagnosed at the same age as I was, and my sister died from it at 47. Last week I learned I had a CHEK2 gene mutation that highly predisposed me to developing BC, as well a bunch of other cancers. Sucks, but forewarned is forearmed. It sounds like you're in a similar boat and it was wise of you to go for a mammogram at 45. With a family history like yours, early and extra surveillance is a good idea.

At your age there may be an issue with breast density. It makes mammograms hard to read as the dense tissue looks the same as cancers. Try not to stress too much about the length of time and discussion during your mammogram. It sounds like they were being cautious and thorough. When we submit to testing we have to be prepared for the consequences. The treatment of BC in this country is world leading. If you do have something it sounds like you might be onto it early. Which is a good thing indeed. Whatever it is, you're in good hands.

Your GP may just want to talk to you about your elevated risk and what your surveillance regimen should be from now on. There are other risk factors for breast cancer such as alcohol, obesity, and lack of exercise. One in eight women in Australia will be diagnosed with BC; it's extraordinarily common.

So deep breaths, hang in there, and come back here whenever you want for a worry, a vent or a cry. We've all been there, we get it. Do let us know what happens. Best of luck. K xox
  • Blackkitty25
    Blackkitty25 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks. It’s a bit nerve wracking and I tried to get an earlier appointment so I could just get it over with but being a country doctor I couldn’t move my appointment up. I find it difficult to concentrate on work. I have take solice in the fact he emphasised it was not urgent but I did need to see him within a week. So it could just be I need to have another check done but not expecting anything serious. I will say the imaging techs were very thorough. I’m greatful for their diligence. Fingers crossed as I have my appointment Wednesday afternoon. These three days are going to drag. 
  • BroniD
    BroniD Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi blackkitty25  I'm also new, was diagnosed on thurs, just want to let you know we are here for you. Just be strong and know you are not alone. I'm going for my core biopsy on Tues, everyone on this site has been amazing, be positive and keep your head up 💜
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @Blackkitty25 I remember saying to myself (and others) at the time that "it is what it is".  Nothing will change what is there other than finding out about it and embarking on treatment if needed. I went to an old friends get-together that weekend and didn't remember any of it - worried my friends too as they knew I was "off" but didn't know why.  It's a shit time, only surpassed by getting the wrong diagnosis and waiting for treatment to start.  Let us know how you go - fingers crossed that it's nothing but we'll be here if you need us.
  • Blackkitty25
    Blackkitty25 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Well I’m back from Doctor’s appointment. I’m not too worried at the moment. I have a small lump he suspects is a Fibroadenoma. However, due to family history he’d be happier if I have a biopsy that comes back that it’s a benign tumour. So
    booked in for the 3rd December for core biopsy. The earliest I could get an appointment. Now another couple of weeks waiting. Better checked than not.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    That's positive news, but great that your GP is being proactive, so that you can be sure. 
    Please keep us up to date, and feel freel to ask any questions along the way. 
    Take care 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    All the best for you ongoing tests @Blackkitty25 ..... Yep - it is what it is - as @Sister says ..... You may have to deal with 'stuff' as it occurs!  Deep breaths ..... you may need to put your 'big girl pants on' ...... 

Feel free to throw any questions up if we are able to help you xxxx

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Fantastic news. Now deep breathe whilst you wait again.