Forum Discussion
Milly21
7 years agoMember
Trying not to feel resentful
hi
i finished treatment a year and a half ago,i didnt have chemo ,i had rads and on hormonal treatment.having trouble lately im not sure why now but I’m feeling resentful (maybe it the hormofnal treatment 😂) with certain people. My 3 sister in laws,and a best friend.during my diagnosis and treatment never had any support from them,not even a text message and they all live within 15 mins away.best friend told her about cancer didn’t hear anything for 6 week when she text to say this has been hard for her,nothing since,uncomfortable when we run into each other now.now that I’m reatively back to normal (new) sister in law will ring wanting me to baby sit there children ect,I feel bitter and I don’t like feeling that way am I being unreasonable.i was lucky others were amazing
i finished treatment a year and a half ago,i didnt have chemo ,i had rads and on hormonal treatment.having trouble lately im not sure why now but I’m feeling resentful (maybe it the hormofnal treatment 😂) with certain people. My 3 sister in laws,and a best friend.during my diagnosis and treatment never had any support from them,not even a text message and they all live within 15 mins away.best friend told her about cancer didn’t hear anything for 6 week when she text to say this has been hard for her,nothing since,uncomfortable when we run into each other now.now that I’m reatively back to normal (new) sister in law will ring wanting me to baby sit there children ect,I feel bitter and I don’t like feeling that way am I being unreasonable.i was lucky others were amazing
17 Replies
- MezDiazMemberHi @Milly21,
I understand completely. I'm sure once I finish my treatment the most pain I'll be left with is knowing how people really don't care about me. It hurts right now. When doctors say 'do you have close family and friends you can talk to' I say just my husband. I get so angry about it as I was always there for people. Even just last week I was hugging my MIL as she was upset about something, but it doesn't work the other way around. I try to remember that it doesn't matter and I'll be exactly the same when someone else needs support. I'll worry about me, and me only.
I definitely would not be babysitting. If I did agree I'd be so resentful. Instead feel empowered and say no, but instead of letting it eat you up, go do something for yourself in the time you would have been babysitting. I too, will try to take my own advice!! I wish I could help you with this pain, but just know you're not the only one xxx - BettybooMemberLulu that poem is amazing. Thank you for sharing it.
- I hate to fuel the resentment, but in my experience, the best friend who isn’t there for you during breast cancer crisis times is not your best friend. Re-evaluate. Adjust your boundaries and only let those who would lie down on train tracks for you get the title of best friend.
I’m sorry you’ve had to go through this. x - BlackWidowMemberHello @Millie21. I ditto all the above responses. People are what they are and will all act differently. You need to concentrate on yourself and don't let it take over your life. Many years ago I was told "the mind is a powerful thing". How true ! You repeat things to yourself too often and you are just reinforcing the upset. As @iserbrown says, you need to surround yourself with positive thoughts. Thinking of you. Anne
- iserbrownMember@Lulu28
What a heartfelt poem! I do hope you are able to get some enjoyment as well as knowledge from the forum.
Have you heard about the Otis Foundation? they offer a free holiday to anyone going through breast cancer
https://www.otisfoundation.org.au/directory
something to look forward to and lift your spirits
Take care - Lulu28MemberI wrote poems, well attempted them during my treatment and I just want to say I can relate. Your not alone. Here is a small piece of what I wrote..
It does show who is really there for you. I have also discovered a kindness I have never experienced from people I have never met. - RomlaMemberPS Close family does however and that’s worth fighting for.
- RomlaMemberI tend to agree with@iserbrown about letting things go a bit as it really doesn’t help.Yes I too have had my disappointments and surprises with people - I have tended to let some friendships drift but I don’t want to waste my time being consumed with anger / resentment as I’d rather focus on things/ people that make me feel good.I think a new balance settles in with others after a cancer diagnosis and my advice is try to not waste time and energy but go with the flow.I find my daily walks listening to my favourite music helps me move through annoyances constructively so I come home less churned up by things and people that don’t really matter.
- Annie_CMember@Zoffiel
I am selfish enough to use the cancer reason (excuse) if I don't want to do something. If people don't get it, that really is their problem. I smile politely while I say " No I am really not well enough- cancer treatment you know". Looks are priceless. - Kiwi_AngelMemberI didn’t hear from some people that I would of expected to and then people who were acquaintances were incredibly supportive. I actually have no relationship with my mother in law now because of something she did to me during chemo. U certainly find out who your friends are.