Forum Discussion
Blossom1961
8 years agoMember
Unspoken thoughts
Questions and statements said to me and my thoughts in brackets after. I know I should probably just say them but my father in law died from cancer less than a year ago and family members are still hurting so I answer questions accordingly (not to how I think).
You're so strong (if only you knew)
I don't know how you do it (I didn't know I had a choice)
You're an inspiration (what? You want cancer too?)
I love how you can smile (it is a grimace)
How has your week been (where do I start)
How did the treatment go this week (fine if you like needles, nausea and headaches)
How much longer (lifetime)
What happens next (I smack you in the head)
You look really well (uh huh, right)
How are the side effects (thriving)
You look a bit tired today (really? I wonder why)
32 Replies
- MeganMMemberHeard often “ so when do you finish this treatment “? My response as a metastatic BC patient “ till it fails” and then this week an exercise physiologist asked the same question when taking my history replied “ I’ll just write “ ongoing”. I think I’m going to enjoy working with that person!
- BlondyMember@AllyJay, that is my dream to have the bottle shop as for my id. However, I did get excited when the ticket man at the train station wanted my id as he didnt believe I was that old.
- AllyJayMemberAbout ten years ago, so I would have been around fifty, when I still smoked, I went to the cigarette counter at Woolies, and had some youngster ask me for my driver's license or proof of age card!!!
- MeganMMemberThanks I normally wouldn’t be so up front but this salesman kept going on and on about 3 times..”how is your health ?” Wel now he knows and yes I hope he learns how to read his audience better as most have grey hair and I’m sure some sort of health issue
- SisterMemberProbably shook him up but if he stays in the game, it will be good training for him. I can remember when I was a teenager in a Saturday morning job at a department store and we were given a line (long lost to time) to greet people with. I thought then that it sounded fake and I would hate it directed at me so I continued to smile and say "Good morning. How can I help you?". Since then we have become so used to these phoney statements and questions that we don't even notice. We all know that the checkout staff and salespeople could not care less how we are and certainly do not want to know. I found it uncomfortable and slightly offensive before I had cancer. So, as far as I'm concerned, turn it straight back if that's what you want to do. I relish my entry into grumpy old womanhood.
- BlondyMember@MeganM. I probably would have answered the same. Your reactions at this stage will be what they are. It doesn't matter too much as it's your pressure cooker. Sometimes businesses, such as gyms have a high turnover of staff and there is no personal interaction. He probably sat down and cold called with the same opener.. Before diagnosis I'd sometimes get asked in Woollies by young staff members 'and how are you today' I'd say 'do you really want to know, if so I'll buy you lunch because it will take that long.. Bless them, they would smile, and so would I. Fingers crossed for the future
- Chelley59MemberIts so good to read these comments...it seems we are all on the same page....x
- MeganMMemberA salesman from a gym I’d canceled rang and sai “how is your health and fitness sincess you’ve left us”? To which I answered “do you really want to know? Are you free to talk privately?” Then I filled him in. Hopefully next time this young man will check the notes they keep on each client and be a bit more careful in his remarks. I’m still sitting on the fence whether I should have been as honest as I was but my diagnosis is only new and still raw
- BlondyMember@KiwiAngel. Everyone says I look younger with short hair .It's always been long ,but I sometimes used to wear a short wig on stage and everyone said I looked younger. However I wasn't about to chop my hair off. Now that it's short for all the wrong reasons a client asked me the other day if I liked it . Well duh, 1# I don't have a choice and #2 I'm bloody grateful for every hair
- Kiwi_AngelMemberI had to show someone my drivers licence on Saturday and the woman told me I look much better with short hair. I’m still not sure whether to be insulted or complimented. I wonder what she would of said if I told her it was all that had grown back after chemo. Sometimes I’d like to say things like this to people just to be evil >:)