Finding the unfunny funny

Options
Summer Prevails
Summer Prevails Member Posts: 82
edited October 2018 in Health and wellbeing
just wanted to vent these (what I found) funny exchanges I had recently. I had a choice about laughing or crying over them, so I just chose to laugh and run with that. 

So so I went to the chemo ward the other day to have my stupid monthly Zoladex injection. The nurse who did it was in her 20s, and was training another young woman nurse. So I’m sitting there waiting for my shot and nurse 1 says to the newbie:

”Zoladex is what we give to patients who have ER + B Ca, they stay on it for about 5 years, and it can cause some menopause-like symptoms like hair thinning and hot flushes...”

she says this as if I’m not sitting RIGHT there. I finished her sentence with: 

“....and insomnia, major joint pain, fatigue, depression, panic attacks....just to give you something to look forward to.”

and wow ypu could have heard a pin drop. The look of horror from newbie nurse. Poor lass. Grumpy menopausal women speaking the truth about treatment, gasp!!! Had to chuckle at her innocence and my grumpy non-oestrogenated jadedness clashing at that point. 

Then another day i was paying for petrol (account overdrawn by like $100, living my financial dreams) and the attendant sees my lympho compression sleeve/glove and smiles innocently and says “Is that to protect you from the sun?” I think he was about to congratulate me for being super sun smart. 

And i cheerfully said “No, it’s for a condition I have called lymphoedema. It’s an excess of lymph fluid in my arm that needs compression to manage. But it also does keep my skin safe from the sun! Have a great day.”

😂 you should have seen his poor little face fall when I said lymphoedema. You could just about hear his mind going WTF ? And the awkwardness that ensued. Had to laugh. I guess I have a pretty black sense of humour. It was the absolute clash of his knowledge versus the ugly reality of my life that cracked me up. 
Tagged:

Comments

• poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    I get your sense of humour and I laughed with you :) cheers PJ
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Summer Prevails

What the with the nurse and Zoladex injection! 

For me I had Zoladex, one every 4 weeks x 26 = 2 years

The first injection was with the Oncologist and because of distance from his rooms he rang and asked my GP to administer the balance. The Oncologist would write the script at each review. My GP was, and still is, very gentle and very caring. Only once did it hiccup. I could feel the implant flip and instead of slow release it was basically all at once and my body was like what the!  Glad it wasn't a nurse and her apprentice for me! 
    Dear oh dear! Same treatment different applications 

Take care 

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Summer Prevails You are providing an educational service and should be applauded for your contibution to society!
  • Harvey1903
    Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Had an experience at Aldi the other day. Usually they ask if you having a good day etc, this poor guy asked, "so anything planned this afternoon" - me with head scarf on said "yes actually off to chemo" - I felt bad after seeing the look on his face. But he did ask.  :/  

• Spirit-Harmony
    Spirit-Harmony Member Posts: 47
    Options

just wanted to vent these (what I found) funny exchanges I had recently. I had a choice about laughing or crying over them, so I just chose to laugh and run with that. 

So so I went to the chemo ward the other day to have my stupid monthly Zoladex injection. The nurse who did it was in her 20s, and was training another young woman nurse. So I’m sitting there waiting for my shot and nurse 1 says to the newbie:

”Zoladex is what we give to patients who have ER + B Ca, they stay on it for about 5 years, and it can cause some menopause-like symptoms like hair thinning and hot flushes...”

she says this as if I’m not sitting RIGHT there. I finished her sentence with: 

“....and insomnia, major joint pain, fatigue, depression, panic attacks....just to give you something to look forward to.”

and wow ypu could have heard a pin drop. The look of horror from newbie nurse. Poor lass. Grumpy menopausal women speaking the truth about treatment, gasp!!! Had to chuckle at her innocence and my grumpy non-oestrogenated jadedness clashing at that point. 

Then another day i was paying for petrol (account overdrawn by like $100, living my financial dreams) and the attendant sees my lympho compression sleeve/glove and smiles innocently and says “Is that to protect you from the sun?” I think he was about to congratulate me for being super sun smart. 

And i cheerfully said “No, it’s for a condition I have called lymphoedema. It’s an excess of lymph fluid in my arm that needs compression to manage. But it also does keep my skin safe from the sun! Have a great day.”

😂 you should have seen his poor little face fall when I said lymphoedema. You could just about hear his mind going WTF ? And the awkwardness that ensued. Had to laugh. I guess I have a pretty black sense of humour. It was the absolute clash of his knowledge versus the ugly reality of my life that cracked me up. 

You have to try a laugh don't you.. should have seen my rad onco when I  tried to joke.. him: so during your treatment and maybe for a while after your breast could get a bit firmer, maybe a bit smaller.. me: wonderful, could you do the other one as well?.  Him: um no! 
  • Firefly48
    Firefly48 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Just love it and great to see you’ve maintained your sense of humour through it all 😀🌸🌸
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    It is amazing how we get through this and somehow have the strength to say and do things we'd never have done before. We have our own quiet naughty sense of humour and it comes to the fore at the best of times.   :D:D:D:D  Anne
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,578
    edited October 2018
    Options
    That's absolutely awesome, @Melc503   WIN!

And well done, @Kiwi Angel too!!  ;) 

• Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Dark humour is my best friend. In Feb I had convulsions and a scan showed 'something in my head'. My husband looked at the consultant and said, 'Well, that explains a lot!' We both laughed and from then on referred to "my martian implant'. It took about three weeks to learn of the diagnosis 'benign'. My visit to the oncologist was referred to as 'my conversation with the martians'. A few friends have difficulty with our take on this **##!! situation, I'm sensitive to their feelings but dark humour has often been my life boat, my relief etc. I'd love to hear of more dark humour incidents.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Dark humour is a default that works for some of us, the patients.  
    Online there's a paper from the Journal of Pragmatics and this is part of the abstract

Copy and paste from Laughing at cancer: Humour, empowerment, solidarity and coping online 

Abstract

In the context of cancer, humour and joking can still be seen as socially unacceptable. Yet people with cancer can find relief in making light of their often life-threatening situations. How and why they do this has received little systematic attention to date. This paper begins to address this gap by exploring 530,055 words of online patient–patient interactions on a thread explicitly dedicated to humour within a UK-based cancer forum.

The website is https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378216616301795