Any other clinical people with breast cancer

Options
Anjke
Anjke Member Posts: 5
edited September 2018 in Newly diagnosed
I worked for BreastScreen for 16 yrs but left to work back in the hospital.  Cancer found at my routine mammo a few weeks ago and Dx given on 2 days ago.  My Breast Care nurse is not happy!  Said it gave her quite a rude shock when she saw my name on the referral!  (I know her very well). LOL.  I hope this is good that I can see the humour relating to this still.  Have read some posts from other newly diagnosed and see the same symptoms of brain leaping all around the place.  Am lucky in one way that I already know my surgeon from my days at BSC and he has been fantastic.  Have a GP that organised a quick referral and told me to contact her if I was not given an early appointment.  She also gives my lovely hugs and makes me feel she is on my side. (I know they are ALL supposed to be like that, but reality can be different.)  One part of me would like to keep this private to myself and family, but my treatment will be in my place of work so I am going in today to tell my department my news so they do not find out about it in indirect ways.  I found telling my 2 grown-up girls (married with their own families) the hardest job to do so far.  My husband was killed in an accident when they were 13 and 10, so we have been a very tight trio for a long time.  My youngest especially was very upset.  I have been blessed to have met someone else who I live with and he is wonderfully supportive of me and the girls.  I know I have rambled on but it feels quite nice just writing it down. 
 My original query is are there any others out there who work in the medical field and have been diagnosed?  Would be interested in knowing how they cope with knowing 'too much' already before the journey begins.  My example is that at Assessment Clinic they show you the images with your lesion identified and when I saw my lesion with its spiculate edges, I think I knew then I was in trouble.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Welcome @Anjke. Telling people is so hard. I'm glad that you have supportive medical people around you.  I'm not a medical person but there are others on here who are.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Welcome @Anjke,

Yep, sometimes you just need to get it out of your head on to paper so to speak.  You will find a wealth of information and warmth from everybody on here. 

I work in a surgical ward (admin) and have done for the past 8 years.  I am the one who books in the BC surgeries daily, I know the BC nurses very well also.  I told my boss as soon as I found out.  Had my surgery done there
    I didn't feel uncomfortable at all as I have seen the whole team work very hard to make everything as easy as possible for our ladies (and men occasionally) going through this for a long time and trusted them completely. I even helped fix the office printer the night after surgery.  LOL

It is kind of odd when you return to work to know that half the people you work with have seen your boobs.  I got over it quickly though.

All the best lovely.
    xoxoxox

• JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Welcome @Anjke sorry you find yourself here, but everybody is very supportive. Is a funny feeling when you see those images and you know it ain't good from the get go! I'm a radiation therapist and finished my radiation a month ago, I found my workplace very supportive although i found it very anxious as i felt like i needed to be the model patient as i knew so much about it. I have also found my connection to my patients has grown stronger (not only the breast patients but all) as I know what they are going through. 
    Best wishes for your treatment x
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Welcome Angke. Sorry that you find yourself here but I hope you find it as warm and supportive as I have.

I'm not a medico but we have a few so I'm sure they'll be along to share with you soon.

You might like to check out this blog by an English breast surgeon, Liz O'Riordan. She writes quite a bit about the challenges of being diagnosed when you work in the field.

http://liz.oriordan.co.uk/CancerBlog/diagnosis/

Look after yourself. K xox
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,578
    Options
    SO Sorry to see you here @Anjke  - but you've come to the right spot for support from everyone!

It guess it must make it that much 'harder' coming from the clinical background & having to 'lay back' & let 'them' take over ..... but in another way, you have a fair idea of what is to come - but not necessarily how it 'mucks with your brain' as you go thru it.

The link that @kmakm  has put up re the British Surgeon with BC is well worth a read.  

Take care, all the best for your ongoing treatment xx

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Hi there. I currently work in Community mental health as an RN but work just down the corridor from the chemi unit. No sneaking in for me. My background is varied but included oncology. I'd worked with all tbe staff involved in tbat unit before including the breast care nurse. It was hard at first. But I became just another patient.
    My background though kept me outvof hospital fir things others cane in fir. Enabled me to safely manage things and know what questions I needed to ask . It also helped me discount the crap when reading Dr Google. 

It's a blessing and a curse at times. 
    Welcome. Kath x
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    And sorry for lack of editing. Hopefully you could decipher.