Should soy products be avoided for estrogen + cancer

Options

Comments

• Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Options
    @Zoffiel hahahahaha :smiley:

I feel the same when I think about eating dead animal parts.

***Runs away at speed before an omnivore vs vegetarian spat can begin***
  • LorraineB
    LorraineB Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Tofu is on the menu tonight.  Not quite sure how I will cook it yet but it will have a nice salad on the side
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Hi @Vangirl, my friends call me a 'Chegan' , a cheating vegan (!) as sometimes I crave a piece of fish and can't be bothered asking for no cheese on a veggie pizza! My naturopath advised to limit soy milk ( I drink almond milk.......it really aint that bad! :) ) and I eat tofu about once a fortnight, but try to avoid soy protein isolate which is difficult as it is ,unfortunately, in most processed food, even vegie and vegan products. Good luck with it all! 
  • Vangirl
    Options
    @poodlejules don't tell anyone but sometimes I eat fish too :wink:

• poodlejules
    Options
    @Vangirl Fish in batter was my 'go to' during chemo, and I wasn't turned off it afterwards either. It was funny too, speaking to a relative's boyfriend who underwent chemo when he was a vegetarian, also craved fatty fish and lived on McDonalds 'filet o fish'  :D Taste buds are weird!
  • Vangirl
    Options
    @poodlejules I completely went off fruit and vegetables during chemo and am only just starting to enjoy them again now (1 month post chemo). I lived off pizza, icecream and chips.
    I put on 7 or 8 kilos but in my defence I'm building my new boob as I'm having a DIEP flap reconstruction!
  • poodlejules
    Options
    Hahaha , a bit of crazy logic there :)

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    My 13yo went through aaperiod of being a flexitarian so it all makes sense to me!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel had a similar chegan experience during chemo I recall!

I love almond milk @poodlejules!
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    I was vegan but ate whatever I wanted during chemo. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Being in a remote town almond milk has been intermittent to get as a coffee when out hence my reading about soy. Most places have that. I do though get almond milk icecream which is much nicer than soy. I very much miss my dairy but since  eliminating it mostly now I know I'm lactose intolerant it has been life changing. 
  • poodlejules
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @primek, I started making my own with this gadget: https://www.veganmilker.com. Shouted myself for Christmas last year.
    It works out a little cheaper than full priced almond milk from the supermarket and without all the additives and thickeners. If you can source almonds where you are, it could work for you .You can then use the almond pulp for slices and cakes, I even thickened soups with it this winter :)
  • Vangirl
    Options
    @Kiwi Angelgood thing I'm not vegan or I'm fairly sure I'd be obliged to report you to some sort of higher authority for that! :wink::smiley::smiley:
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Vangirl it was very strange my body just craved crap like hamburgers and KFC so I let I have whatever it wanted so considering the crap it was going through. Healthier again now but still have an aversion to some foods I ate during chemo. Good thing u aren’t the vegan police  ;)