Double mastectomy/nipple sparing

Marketta
Marketta Member Posts: 34
edited August 2018 in General discussion
in 3 weeks I’m hsvibg a double mastectomy nipple and skin sparing reconstruction with expanders. ( I need radiation after and potentially doing DIEP reconstruction in the future once I’m fit and healthy)
any tips for a speedy recovery? I have 2 young kids. 
Have cut out sugar and incredible my whole grains and raw vegitables since completing chemo but did put on 10 kts during my 6 months chemo schedule.

iv heard advice for wedge pillow, triangle pillow, travel pillow. All other tips and advice appreciated 
also having axcilary clearance in right and sentinel node biop on left. I’m 37

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I don't have any advice but have you joined the Reconstruction group?
  • Marketta
    Marketta Member Posts: 34
    I’m in choosing breast recon group and young women’s groups too
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi Marketta. There is lots of advice about preparation and recovery in the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group.

Broadly speaking, going into any surgery the fitter you are the better. So I would try to fast walk or jog every day between now and the operation. I know that @nikkid worked really hard on her core and found that helpful.

Eating lots of dark green and orange vegetables is known to promote healing after surgery. So make sure your fridge is full of them when you get home from the hospital! K xox
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Lots of different bras. I kept changing through the day as I'd get sore. I swap between brands and ash type bras as differing oressures in different areas. You need 2 drain bags and 2 zonta pillows also.
    And a decent lounge chair. Sheep skin on it is good idea in case more comfortable sleeping in it for a while.