Cost of medication.

Options
Blondy
Blondy Member Posts: 238
For a long time I have had my scripts with the Chemist Warehouse. This came about when my regular close to work chemist was putting one of my medications up and up until I was paying $35. Around this time the chemist warehouses were slowly opening up. Going there I was paying $22. I now only pay $11.90. Now after BC I am taking Femara and have paid around $25 at a small chemist attached to my doctors rooms . Recently for convenience I went to a large chemist chain and got a replacement for the Femara and my usual $11.90. I was staggered at the checkout when I was charged $36.80 for Femara and $14.90 for my usual. I did a squack and the Femara was reduced to $29. I will now stick with the Chemist Warehouse who are also charging $25 80. It pays to shop around.

Comments

• Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Thanks @Blondy I have just started on Letrozole and the hospital pharmacy charged me over $35 for a month's worth. I will try Chemist Warehouse next time!
  • Blondy
    Options
    Worth a try Vangirl. Mine is Letrozole too. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Vangirl I'm taking the FBM Letrozole for $28.50.

www.forbenefitmedicines.com.au

A worthy cause!
  • Blondy
    Options
    I suppose I can blame brain fog but I am referring to Letrozole and the name on the box is Femara. It's not a generic. Any mistakes I make in the day appear when I'm trying to go to sleep. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hospital pharmacies, by law, have to charge the PBS price for any prescription. They don't tell you that. I dropped a script off while I was having chemo and it ended up costing me about $60 more than it would have at a retail pharmacy. I had a real 'squack' as well. PBS for Femara  is $36.80 ( from memory) but the retail people can charge what they want and make up the difference selling potions that make your wee expensive. It does pay to shop around. One of the few benefits of being a Pov is cheap medicine. Oh joy. It's not worth it.
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Zoffiel thanks. I am hoping to qualify for a healthcare card soon but in the meantime all this is useful to know.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    I make sure to get all my scripts from chemist warehouse.  When I first started this whole BC crap I just got my pre chemo dex from the place where I was to have chemo - cost me $35 which I knew was expensive as we have it at work and its a cheap drug.  Got scripts from my oncologist in the future and cost me way less!!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    @blondy I think squack is my word of the moment. Shit, squawk, squeal, attack. Yep. Mxx
  • Blondy
    Options
    Good word Zoffiel. I was surprised at the cost of 6 steroid tablets and 1 sedative for the Cold Cap cost me $79 a month. I had no control over that as it came from the chemo company. However I thought that was very expensive. Coming up...... another a squack.