Node bracelet - dont use this arm

2»

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    @Vangirl
    I was not saying use one or don't - I was merely telling you what I had been told.

• Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Absolutely, sorry if I came off as dismissive, didn't mean to be! All the best xxx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    It's worth trying.

I've had ding dong battles to prevent someone using my left arm (it's got a deceptively juicy looking vein) and that's been while I was awake, lucid and able to explain why it was a bad idea while offering alternatives. Same with canula in the back of my hand, I've put tape across the backs of them presurgery, had respectful conversations with anaesthetists about what happens with those veins and still woken up post op with a failed line--in the back of my hand. Then had to endure jabbing and stabbing to end up right where I'd suggested we should be to start with.

It's worth trying.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    OMG @Zoffiel. People who think they know better than the patient on this subject need to get their egos under control. When you've been jabbed as much as someone in your position has, the hubris to ignore the patient is outrageous. Grrr...
  • Kattykit
    Kattykit Member Posts: 252
    I even had to remind the chemo nurses not to take my bp on my left arm, I mean, really? I guess the piccline and special small cuff for taking it on my wrist wasn't in their face enough.
  • Kristen
    Kristen Member Posts: 110
    edited July 2018
    FYI . A few  years ago stocked up on Lymp alert bracelets from  The Lymphoedema Association of Victoria . They are still on thier website on the LAV Shop tab $1 each , min 5 + $6 postage. I always take one or two when i go for any day procedures. Some hospitals don't allow, another had them already, sometime they let me leave compression sleeve on also - so thats a bit of an alert for any nurse- but always worried will wake up with the BP cuff on my bad arm. been good so far. The blood drawer often look wishingly at my lymphie arm when she struggling to get a vein - but i say nope. It just to high a risk for infection and any tiny cut takes ages to heal.
    i have also been told if i am worried the best thing is to actually write it on my arm in big writing- would just have to find the appropriate pen .
    Lymphie 
    awareness.
    Be alert,get educated,not alarmed.Catch it early .Self care essential .
  • Trikki2
    Trikki2 Member Posts: 297
    Oh sweet. Thats the one i had on in hospital. Thanks for the info xxx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Hubris indeed @kmakm It's like you have thrown out a personal challenge that they must take up. God forbid we might have some idea. After a couple of minutes I usually get asked if I'm a nurse. I was, but that was long before most of these people were born and what bloody difference does it make anyway? No is no. As in I do not consent to that.
    @Kristen the 'proper' thing to use is one of these ---- noone can object and say you shouldn't have used a particular pen. They are single use, so I grab them once someone has drawn on me and have a couple stashed in my emergency bag.