Hot flushes

Options
2»

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I know people have said, but for the life of me I can't recall the answer/s, but how long before the hot flushes settle down? I've just had my fourth nuclear grade one since 11pm. It's been a year since they started during chemo, and seven months since they got white hot when I started on Letrozole. Is there a standardish amount of time before they stop? Or is it a permanent feature of being on an AI?
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @kmakm I’m obviously on a different medication to you but I have noticed in the last week or so mine have settled down (or maybe it’s just because it’s been so damn hot here I don’t notice them). I have been on the tamoxifen for 7 months now.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel That's excellent.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    I’m hoping the bloating and water retention might settle down too!!
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel Fingers crossed.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Sux huh @Kmakm.   Did you get hold of that cold towel?  If you wet it and put it in the freezer for a minute or so it goes ice cold.  I lay it accross my back with the fan on when I go to bed.  The fan keeps cooling the top of it so you can turn it over the next time you heat up and it will be  cold again. If I get a bad one I wrap a bit of ice in it and put it around my neck.  It really does take the wind of the flush.
    I also used to keep a can of dove deodorant next to the bed and spray my back and chest as soon as I felt it coming.  Stops that ghastly sweaty feeling.
    Different drug I know, but mine lost their nuclear power after about 10 months on the drug so 17 months all up from when they started on chemo.  This was after my second break though and I do believe that's what helped it mostly. They are still there when I am on it but nowhere near what they were or as many. 

The joys huh?
  • kmakm
    Options
    Yes, big time @kezmusc. So maybe by mid-year I could hope they'll ease up a bit. That would be really nice.

No, I haven't tracked down the cool towel yet. Can you post the photo again so I can remember the brand? The kids have gone back to school today so I've got a bit more time. The sort of thing a Chemist Warehouse might have?
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    @kmakm
    If you get stuck, I noticed that the chemist near work in the city has one (different brand to the photograph though) - happy to buy and send!
  • kezmusc
    Options

• kezmusc
    Options
    If you can't track it down I think that store is still at my local shops so can grab one for you.
  • kmakm
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Thank you @kezmusc & @Afraser, I'll let you know.  :)
  • kmakm
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @kezmusc I have not been able to find one of those towels in the shops but I've got an offer in for one on Ebay!

Yesterday I thought they were getting better. I didn't have too many and they weren't too strong. So far today I've had 14 ffs... I don't get it.  :#
  • kezmusc
    Options
    @kmakm.  If you have no luck just remind me sometime before Thursday and I'll grab one for you.  My flushes got intermittent like that for months. One day only a few, the next day a dozen.  Then they settled a bit more and didn't happen as frequently.   Right now there's only a few minor ones through the day, and a couple at night time. So fingers crossed that's where it's heading for you. xoxo
  • kmakm
    Options
    @kezmusc Hope so. Got a towel for $4.50! Should arrive this week.
  • kezmusc
    Options
    Nice work!  You'll love it.