Infected Tissue Expander - reconstruction advice

Options
Kerry-Lee47
Kerry-Lee47 Member Posts: 32
Hi girls and boys,
Im back in hospital with an infected tissue expander (the syringed out 180ml of pus) the chemo had turned my seroma into a toxic soup. It’s now gone to cellulitis. I’m currently on iv antibiotics, the Surgeon has said he will give it a couple of days then if infection not cleared up he is gonna take both expanders out and take me back to ‘the wood’ and start again in 12 months time after I’ve had Chemo and Radiation.
Next time he is suggesting the plastic surgeon makes me two new boobs out of my belly fat!!!
sounds so horrific??!! 
Im very dissapointed as wanted neat little implants. It’s not over yet but I’m interested to know if anyone else out there has been through this and how it turned out for them? I’m feeling drained from the whole process and ready tone just zipped up!

Comments

• Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Hey @Kerry-Lee47 - what an absolute bummer! Sorry to hear you’ve landed up like this! 

What he’s recommending is a DIEP or TRAM flap recon. There’s tons of info about these in the choosing reconstruction closed group - if you’re not a member you should definitely join - a lot of incredible gals have documented their ops and included photos - @kmakm has most recently generously shared her experience. 

I can imagine you’re so disappointed! I’m sending you lots of healing vibes and hope that you’re off the I/V and out of hospital soon. It does sound like you’ve got a great medical team looking after you. It’s just so shitty that there’s so many unpredictable variables on this ride! 

Lots of hugs xxxx 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Hi Kerry-Lee. Yes, a DIEP is a big operation but my breast surgeon calls it the Rolls Royce of reconstructions! Your foobs are warm and made of you, and once they're done, there's no more surgery. Plus, the bonus tummy tuck is a small silver lining in a shitty situation. I am loving my flat belly!

Look, it's all polishing a turd isn't it? From the moment of diagnosis it's a series of compromises to maximise our chances of a long and reasonably content life. And when we hit bumps on an already bumpy road it's just so unfair. I feel for you. Hang in there and I'll be crossing my fingers. Get outta there infection! Leave Kerry-Lee alone! K xox
  • Kerry-Lee47
    Kerry-Lee47 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    You lot are so lovely! @kmakm and @Eastmum Really cheered me up, normalising a scary situation, I will join the recon group. Thankyou x