Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Im new here

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @RachaelBB Are you doing anything in particular for survivorship now, or doing your best getting back to normal, new or otherwise?
  • RachaelBB
    RachaelBB Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I actaullay kept working all the way through my treatment. With AC one week at home two weeks back at work. So, am just working and being a mum to two boys -17 and 5. With TNBC there are no more options for me. So, I’m trying to just get on with it. Trying to keep my 10,000 steps a day. 
  • Bird
    Bird Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello everyone
    thankyou for your warm welcome.  Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.  I don't have any strategies for managing my fear and would appreciate some advice.
  • kmakm
    edited May 2018
    Options
    No worries @Bird. Do you have psychologist or counsellor? I know they're not for everyone. I was hesitant but desperately needed help so took the plunge. I've found it very helpful. I see a community funded psychologist (so affordable) who's been treating breast cancer patients for 12 years. There's nothing she hasn't heard. If this is a path you want to pursue, ask all your medical team who they'd recommend. It's important to find someone you 'click' with, so it might take some time to find the right person.

Do you have a BreastCare Nurse? They can be incredible, and a great resource. Can you talk to her as often as you need? Do you feel better when you do?

Staying in the moment is a key for managing fear. Easy to say but harder to do! BC brought me to meditation, via apps on my phone. There are lots out there; I settled on Headspace. The guy who does this had cancer himself so brings an understanding to his practice. There's even a mediation pack there for cancer.

I'm not very good at meditating but it does do something. I find it hard to define, but each time it seems to create some space in my head that wasn't there 15 minutes earlier. And it does tell and teach you to stay in the moment, to take one day at a time, focus on the moment, to stay in it.

Activities that occupy your mind are good. Playing music uses both sides of your brain; hard to think of anything else when you're playing an instrument.

Good old fashioned relaxation, and distraction. Many find doing a big puzzle great for this! I found the distraction of a (not too heavy) TV show to be the only thing that helped me when I was frantic and distraught at the beginning of this BC experience. Anything to not be all up in my head and emotions.

Are you a religious person? I'm not, but I know talking frequently to a minister brought my sister great comfort.

I am not in your position and would never presume to know how it feels. What I do know is that no one knows the date of their death. It is good for all of us to focus on staying in the moment, to live our lives one day at a time, and make the most of every one of those days. Be kind to yourself, accept help, surround yourself with friends and family, or seek solitude if that's what you need. One foot in front of the other, and breathe deeply. Big, big hugs. K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Hi @Bird Everything that @kmakm said.  The only thing I can add is that I found walking helped me - for some reason it was the only time that my thoughts could sort themselves out.  I'd often come home and blurt it all out on my blog or this site!  I'm not in your position and so don't like to advise too much but scared is scared. Do try to take it one step at a time - easier said than done but it really is the only way.  Do you have a treatment plan?  Knowing what your pathway is going to be, even if it may change, may help.  
  • JaneyB
    JaneyB Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi There
    I'm new here too.  18 months into living with Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer.  I live overseas at the moment, but am from Australia.  It's lonely not having a support network around me.  All the other patients at the hospital I attend have a different first language than me - communication on a basic level is challenging - so at an emotional level is virtually impossible.  I am really fortunate that I am in a country where I can get Ibrance, which I take with Fermera.  So far it is blasting away most of the cancer.  Just finished short, but large dose, radiation for the stubborn sternum cancer.  Fingers crossed everyday.  Working full time and raising teens.  
    I have a question - I can see that there is a private group (under groups section), but cannot work out how to join.  Advice. 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    Hi @JaneyB sorry I have to join us but there is a huge amount of support here. I think to join the closed group u click on a link and request it but some of the other ladies here will be able to help u better then me. Sending u huge hugs xoxox 
  • JaneyB
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thanks @Kiwi Angel
    Finally found the right page which had the 'join' link.  Much appreciated.  Appreciate the hugs.  Actually have a little tear to have connected with others who "get it!"  
  • kmakm
    Options
    It's such a relief isn't it @JaneyB?! Hang in there. K xox
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    U r more than welcome @JaneyB - it must be difficult when it is hard to properly communicate with the people where u are - especially when emotions come in to it. U r always welcome here for hugs - u will be squished by all that u will receive from all the wonderful women on here. Most of them are just asleep at the moment - I’m having an insomnia attack. xoxox
  • kmakm
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel Ditto! *waves from bed*
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    @kmakm - the husband is snoring like a freight train!!
  • JaneyB
    Options
    It's past midnight here too!  Insomnia plus...  Trying to tick off my goals that my newly found friend who is studying to be a therapist set for me last week.  Meeting again tomorrow and I think we might have been a bit in the 'overachiever' mode when we met for the first time last week.  
    Hope sleep comes for you both soon.
    Thanks so much.  It was a big step for me to join this group and already my shoulders and heart feel lighter.  xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Welcome, @JaneyB.  Come and talk to us whenever you need to.  
  • kmakm
    Options
    Oh that's lovely to hear @JaneyB! I lurked for a long time before I got up the guts to join. Never regretted it, it's been SO valuable for me. Incredibly helpful and supportive. I hope you find it so as well.

Yes, we sure do need to break down our goals into bite size pieces... don't want to choke!

Got to sleep eventually, but didn't get enough. Hope tonight is better. K xox