SVT - Super Ventricular Tachycardia

Options
2»

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    My cardiologist berates the echo operator if he hasn't got results in 24 hours. GPs may be busy but berating the patient? Possibly time for a change! 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I wore a heart halter monitor for 24 hours over a week ago. My GP said my heart is skipping a beat and the heart rate ranged from 40 beats per minute (sleeping) to 142bpm (probably riding my bicycle). He is amazed that just 1/4 of a 50mg Metaprolol tablet twice a day is having such an effect on me. In the morning as soon as it takes effect I sometimes have to have a 20 minute lay down and at night it bombs me down for the count lol. He said he's had some take a whole 100mg for no effect so it is good the meds are working. An hour or two before the night time dose sometimes my rate does go up to 119bpm so he said if that happens often, add in an extra 1/4 tab to make it 3 times a day, spaced at 8 hourly. 
    We don't actually know why my heart gets racey but the doctor said avoid stress as much as possible. If the tablets stop working I will need to go to Brisbane for a catheter ablation or have a pace maker put in.
    While I'm good I am wasting no time getting on with life. I love my fishing from the beach and take the kayak out sometimes too.